PDA

View Full Version : first solo hunt

Brew
09-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Had a hunt planned with my dad but now he cant come. So I changed my plans and am going to try some new ground. Heading up to 3-40 and 3-41. Going to try up Finn creek and groundhog mountain for a few days first and depending on how it goes will try up around silence lake in 3-40. Looking to call in a spike-fork and and get a nice muley. Anybody know of any good places to camp up finn creek or any tips they would like to pass on.
I enjoy hunting alone but have never gone on a 8 day hunt alone before. Looking forward to it. I have my radio from work in my truck and a handheld for my pack. Does anyone have the radio channels that may get used in this area that I could get just in case. I will be in a grey nissan frontier with a black utility trailer and a red canam quad. If anyone is in the area and spots my camp stop in for a beer. I will probably enjoy a good a good chat a few days in.

ianwuzhere
09-30-2011, 09:46 PM
i wonder if you could contact MOF in the area and they mite be able to give ya the frequencys for yer radio?..
ya solo hunts this time of year with the short days can be kinda boring...only if ya could access HBC out there hehe...
Good luck!!!

Brew
09-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for that idea. I'll try that if I dont see any postings.

Nimrod
10-01-2011, 08:28 AM
you should buy a Spot http://www.findmespot.ca/en/
I've gone on many long solo hunts without incident , never worried about it but man did I take a lot of heat from people for this. I just picked up one of these for a different sport but also thought how perfect this would be for hunting. I've used the check in button in thick trees and it works great, heard the early models had issues getting a signal through, it's so light be great for back packing.

kelmore
10-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I second the spot I have the one that lets text, works like a charm

Rubberfist
10-01-2011, 11:00 AM
+1 on getting a SPOT.