PDA

View Full Version : Fletching tips?

RoscoeP
09-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Just got a Bitzenburger fletching jig in the mail yesterday, I got it with the straight clamp, which will also do offset? Most of my arrows right now are straight fletch, blazers. Any tips on this jig, I think I have it ready to go for straight. Just wondering how you can be consistant setting it up for offset if going back and forth? Don't seem to be many markings on the adjustments other than a "C" line on both ends. Also any glue that is better than others and maybe faster?

I have two bows with different rests so the nocks are set different, seems straight forward if you are going to do 3 fletchs, just put it in do 3-120's then re adjust the nock if you need to.

What about if it a repair job and you are only doing one or two fletchs. Should I put the clamp on the vane put on the jig then turn until the the nock will go on the nock receiver? I just want it to be exact 120 degrees between vanes.Probably sounds like a dumb question but just want to be sure. Thanks Roscoe

Bow Walker
10-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Bitzen jigs are very good. Been around for a long, long time. If you set it for "Offset" - just a bit either side of the "C" (centerline) then take something sharp, with a fine point and mark where you are setup. Then it's easy to repeat. I've found that Blazers are very hard to get any decent helical set on them - although Bohning has come out with a jig specifically designed to put a helical on their Blazers.

There are tons of different glues out there. I'd suggest not getting any of the "super-fast-setting" types until you are very familiar with fletching. Get a tube ofthe kind that sets fairly quickly, but wil give you time for any fine adjustments that you might want to make.....Something like Fletchtite Platinum is a good one to use. The Platinum grade of glue will do everything for you - as opposed to regular Fletchtite, that is designed for wood.

You're right on about the different nockset points. They are easily adjustable after you get the arrow fletched - either by twisting the arrow when it is on the string or by using a nock set tool, you know, those little plastic thingys that come with most shafts and nocks these days. The only problem arises when you want to replace just one fletch on an arrow. It's a bit of work to set the arrow up so that the replacement nock is properly aligned with regards to the other two fletches. But, with a bit of practice it gets easy. Just align the new fletch without using glue - to make sure it's in the proper place - then apply the glue.

You could also mark the shaft with a pencil or a very fine permanent marker so that you know where the replacement fletch is supposed to go. I'd draw a line at the back end of the fletch - straight down the shaft to the nock - then you've always got a reference point.

Looks like you're getting well on your way to building your own arrows. Good on you. It's very satisfying.