PDA

View Full Version : What is the name of that Elk Call?

Jelvis
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
----deleted-----

3kills
09-13-2006, 10:18 AM
are u thinkin of a hoochie momma call? go up to jordans and see what they got....

todbartell
09-13-2006, 12:52 PM
probably thinking of the Primos Hoochie Mama

Carlton makes something similar

I much prefer something like the Primos Cow Girl. Hoochie Mama's are for lazy wannabe elk hunters :lol: (not that I am even an elk hunter) :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
09-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Hoochie mama's the way to go. When you have a bull screaming and your shaking too bad to operate any kind of mouth call the hoochie mama's a fail safe.

mark
09-13-2006, 03:24 PM
i prefer to scream back at those raging bulls, actually interupt their bugles before their finished, sure makes em mad and they come in looking to fight!

GoatGuy
09-13-2006, 05:25 PM
i prefer to scream back at those raging bulls, actually interupt their bugles before their finished, sure makes em mad and they come in looking to fight!
Don't know if that would be the best when you're trying to stop em, count points etc., at 60-100 yrds but I've never tried it.

Jelvis
04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
---------------------------

elkdom
04-05-2009, 04:56 PM
an assortment of cow/ calf sounds drives big bulls crazy, add some chirples, small bull whistles get them going NUTZ! sometimes I have had as many as 5 bulls all within 100 yards , thick cover, find a perennial rutting area, and let the games begin, scent up, tag some trees with elk scent, insane action follows! :eek:

Jelvis
04-05-2009, 05:10 PM
---------------------

elkdom
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
but beware! ,,, SCEARMING, CHALLENGING Bugles will sometimes send a "Herd bull and his harem thundering away into the next drainage! :icon_frow Big herd bulls quite often avoid a challenge, take their harem and VAMOOSE! :(

then its HASTA-LAH- VISTA ,,, "Bugle Boy":oops:

elkdom
04-05-2009, 05:31 PM
LOL>..done that also......

Si' Senor. eez not so funnee when Ze'Bull takes away with his cows!:lol:

and Ze' hunter looks like his world caved in!

Nothing lets you down like the sound of 20 elk thundering away through the bush! ;):shock::oops::cry:

Jelvis
04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
-------------------------

elkdom
04-05-2009, 05:48 PM
BUT! if your "SAVVY"?? and when the herd gets a few hundred feet away! then you wield that DEVASTATINGLY DEADLY HOOTCHEE-MOMMA! make a couple of sexy, lonely, lost cow calls!!!:redface::redface::redface:, then point your MUFFLED BUGLE towards the area behind YOU and make a Young Bull Elk bugle sound!! that big herd bull may come charging back ready to KICK YOUR young Bull Elk ASS! then its click-BOOM!8-) because he thought you may have stolen a cow from his harem!:wink: very often the ENTIRE herd will stop for a lost cow/calf chirp!:biggrin:

Goliath
04-05-2009, 06:22 PM
10 days...11 x 5pts, 2 x 4pts, 1 x 3pt. Bugling and screaming at my feet! This is insane but com'on man where's the boy with the sixth point?! Go higher, and higher, and higher, and when you think you've gone high enough, go higher still! While you're at it, why not keep going onto another range. That's where you'll find the six pointer wallowing in his bed without a care to the world. :wink:

Jelvis
04-05-2009, 06:27 PM
--------------------

elkdom
04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
really, those bugling lonely bull elk? they aint VERY far from a lota cows and a BIG herd BULL:wink: no kdding! they arnt!:smile:

elkdom
04-05-2009, 06:33 PM
really, those bugling lonely smaller bull elk? they aint VERY far from a lota cows and a BIG herd BULL:wink: no kidding! they arnt!:smile: the herd is close enough for the lonely bulls can smell the cows!:sad: and the herd bull can hear the small lonely bulls, so if your bugling? your just adding to the herd bulls problems!:smile:

Jelvis
04-05-2009, 06:53 PM
-------------------

elkdom
04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
and when the Bull has his cows and he wants to keep what he's got, he herds them into tiny meadows,lots of cover surrounding, lush grass, water near by, keeps 10 , 15, 20+ cows all herded up in an area maybe 30 or 40 yards in diameter! that herd Bull parading around, charging back and forth like a maniac , "ridding herd" keeping them cows for himself till each one comes into estrus, after several weeks of that he is exhausted, sometimes so run down physically he will die in the winter, unable to recover his strength! this is why so often, herd bulls dont come to a fight! they have more on their plate to look after!:smile: and sometimes he dies from my bullet!8-)

hunter1947
04-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Jel I found one like this last year ,it was on the side of the road ,you can have it if you want it ,say yes or NO ??? it is a HMM :wink:.

elkdom
04-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Jel I found one like this last year ,it was on the side of the road ,you can have it if you want it ,say yes or NO ??? it is a HMM :wink:.

'47 you giving Jelvis a Hootcheemomma?? what ah yah doin?;)

Jelvis be doin the hootcheecootcheemomma breakdance shakin all ova!:roll:
wont be an elk left to find all the way from Texas to Alaska or Bust that elk call!:lol:

all the Elk be pokin thier hooves in thier ears!:roll: no rest for the elk, Jelvis!:eek:

Jelvis
04-05-2009, 07:57 PM
---------------------

hunter1947
04-06-2009, 05:35 AM
It must be very hard to keep in control of those hoochie momma's especially 20. That's why the bull is in good shape for the dance.
Vocal is the word, hearing the bugling is the reward, so exciting to hear the call in the wild.
You say tiny meadows, that is interesting and no time to eat also. I guess there is no use running off for more cows or to fight when he's got too much already with 20 cows to surround and keep control over.
If he did make a dumb mistake and go over to a bull or cow call seeking the animal, then POW! elkdom drops another!
Hey hunter1947 if you don't have use for the hmm then that tells me you got a better one. Ah hah and that would be?
Jel -- hoochie kootchie mamma --

Jel that would be the bow hunter cow coaxer made by Woods Wise it is only 3 inches long and 3/4 of an inch wide.

Here is a pic of it.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_2121.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13631)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_2081.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=13632)

ELKOHOLICBC
04-06-2009, 10:06 AM
You guys gotta stop all this talk about elk hunting and them bugling and screaming, i'm trying to stay calm here until Sept. and this doesn;t help a guy.:eek: Especially when you Jelvis start talking about the Bull River and Quinn Creek areas;-). Thats where I 've been hunting for ten years now and I love that area. Lots of Big bulls way up top, long hikes and hard packs I love it.

Jelvis
04-10-2009, 09:41 PM
-------------------------

ELKOHOLICBC
04-11-2009, 08:07 AM
There aren't enough words to describe the feeling that you get when the herd bull rips a bugle at you, and you see him raking a small fir tree, his breath in the cool morning air, yes all up where you know Jel. Nobody understands me when I tell them I'm addicted to elk hunting. Are you heading up there this year Jel?

Jelvis
04-11-2009, 08:40 AM
--------------------------

ELKOHOLICBC
04-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Are you refering to Gold Mountain area when your talking about Gold Creek. Never hunted elk there but I shot my first Mulie buck off that mountain about ten years ago when I was playing hockey for the Creston Junior A team. Hows the elk hunting in that area?

Jelvis
04-11-2009, 09:50 AM
--------------deleted posts