PDA

View Full Version : 8-13 8-14 plan changes

LYKTOHUNT
09-30-2011, 10:01 AM
We had planned on heading into 8-13 and maybe 8-14 last week of Oct but in talking to our fellow hunter out of Vernon he found out that there will be or is now heavy logging traffic expected around the 70 mile mark on the Kettle,. he thought that the logging traffic would be extraordinary in that area and maybe it would be best to change plans .
Has anyone heard about that and is this something we should be concened with and I know I should expect some answers to come back that yes we should stay away regardless if this true in order to preserve someones personal hunting preserve, but if anyone cares to offer up a serious suggestion I would appreciate their thoughts.
In the event that we plan on going elsewhere,such as maybe 3-28 or 3-29 as this is a new area to us any tips or suggestions would be appreciated and one more question are there whitetails in 3-28 3-29
Thanks

Looking_4_Jerky
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't think the industrial traffic is going to hurt the hunting, especially if you get off the road. It will, however be potentially hazardous for your getting around. Also, If you're camped on the main Kettle and they are ripping by all the time it will be at least somewhat annoying. If it has not rained and the road is dusty, I would consider it a deal breaker!

I would guess that either they are hauling up the Kettle FSR or down, but not likely both. If you find out which way they are going, just hunt and camp above or below them. i.e. if they are hauling from Mohr Cr to Lumby, then camp/hunt somewhere south of Mohr Cr like Rendell Cr; if they're hauling Mohr Cr to Rock Cr, camp/hunt somewhere north of there like South Winnifred.

Despite the crowds, the upper Kettle can be a great place to hunt when the deer are moving because of the good mix of species and the tendency (for the mulies particularly) to migrate southward quite early. 3-28 and 3-29 both have a lot of mule deer. However, the deer in these MUs winter relatively close to where they summer (unlike some of the Kettle deer), and late October is not necessarily a heavy migration time unless the snow really hits the high country hard and early, and to be honest we haven't been seeing that much in the recent past. There are good numbers of resident mulies around, but depending on where you're hunting, how you're hunting, and weather, hunting pressure, etc, it's not always gang-busters. If you're camped up there for a week, though, and know what you're doing, I would expect that you'd be able muster up at least a couple of small bucks with the chance of a decent one. I hear of VERY FEW kick-ass quality mulie bucks (160+) being taken that time of year.

Whitetail are quite scarce in both MUs, and you'll be arriving after Whitie does will have been open for a few weeks, so the survivors should have heard a few shots cracking by then and be somewhat sketchy.

Dannybuoy
09-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Not sure how busy it will be but yes they are hauling out of the kettle to the Tolko mills (lumby end) weekdays only I think . I dont know if the other guys are hauling out the other way . They were coming down to the main at the 65-70 km mark maybe other spots as well ? Maybe someone has a few more details ..
I was out there a few weeks ago looking around .

carnivore
09-30-2011, 02:22 PM
I was up there sniffing around in August and they were hauling out of Lower Nevertouch and going up the Nevertouch Main.