PDA

View Full Version : My moose strategy for tomorrow

Rob
09-30-2011, 07:53 AM
My wifes Bull Moose LEH starts tomorrow, and is 3-18. So not being a saavy moose hunter this is what i came up with. We saw a fairly decent bull up by a lake we camped at in july. So there is a good size cutblock which has a couple small lakes/ponds. I found a high point in the cut block where i was going to set up our doghouse blind and trying calling. we have a 360 view point. Any thoughts on this strategy?

Getbent
09-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a good place to start...calling would definetly be an option as well.
Look for fresh sign, they should be starting to heat up now.

Good Luck

getbent

smokey
09-30-2011, 08:13 AM
i think you got it on the mark,good luck sounds like your going to get one

Rob
09-30-2011, 08:30 AM
i think you got it on the mark,good luck sounds like your going to get one

Sure hope so, my wife sure would be excited.

MATTIAC
09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
dont really need a blind for a moose. they are pretty dumb lol. they hide their head behind a tree and think you cant see them

Rob
09-30-2011, 08:53 AM
dont really need a blind for a moose. they are pretty dumb lol. they hide their head behind a tree and think you cant see them

It makes my wife feel safer from the Boogey Man. lol

Mack45
09-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Hi I think you should be set up closer to the water where you have a good line of site. Do not over do the calling it yu hike way up a cut block it gives the moose more chance to get your scent. do the early morning and late evening call but if the bull is still using the block his tracks should be there but they usually move around to find the cow that will accept them.Better to find a cow swamp or feed spot and call a bull to it. Get in your spot early and wait before calling when things are quiet it seems to work better.

09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
yep get a good view point and call.
call then wait 10 min then call again. Repeat process till you either shoot your moose or get cold and bored!

LYKTOHUNT
09-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Sounds about right to me give a couple of cow calls and pay attention, they are talking now and I dont think I would worry about the blind, you dont need it. I called a bull out of the timber last week to within 50 yards, it took all of 2 minutes for him to answer my call with grunts of his own every step he took until the last steps he ever took