PDA

View Full Version : Grizz hunt coming up on sept 29th

pupper
09-12-2006, 09:42 PM
the crew is heading up to reg. 7-38 on the 29th for a leh moose hunt and me and another guy both have grizz draws.

I was wondering if anyone can give any helpful insight on hunting grizz like what areas in 7-38 will produce and what type of strategies to do like predator calls, or scents. also how should we locate them? glass slash? walk? 4x4? or boat down river?

any help would greatly help the success of this hunt.

justin

Jagermeister
09-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Just keep your wits about you once your crew has a moose down. Be mindful of the gut pile(s) so that you don't wander aimlessly onto a gut pile that the ole grizz has claimed for his own. Once the blood scent gets to air you might have more than you bargained for. Have a good hunt.

pupper
09-13-2006, 05:54 AM
yah, ive been reading alot about grizz and bear attack stories from the 50s-80s and the moral of the stories are nothing good comes of stumbling on a grizz that has a kill.

how many people have taken grizz on this site?

justin

mapguy
09-13-2006, 06:46 AM
its a good area all the way up the omineca river all around germanson landing
according to the density maps

GoatGuy
09-13-2006, 02:37 PM
the crew is heading up to reg. 7-38 on the 29th for a leh moose hunt and me and another guy both have grizz draws.

I was wondering if anyone can give any helpful insight on hunting grizz like what areas in 7-38 will produce and what type of strategies to do like predator calls, or scents. also how should we locate them? glass slash? walk? 4x4? or boat down river?

any help would greatly help the success of this hunt.

justin

Where are you going in 7-38?

I've been in on a few kills in there. By oct/late september berries have dried up and fallen off. You'll find the bears in the high country eating roots and chasing voles or lemmings or whatever the hell those little mice like creatures are.

The bears are active all day but you'll have to walk into the high country. There are lots of g-bears in that area and they're easily found at that time of year.

pupper
09-14-2006, 07:32 PM
is going down river in a boat the way to go?
or should you hike the high country and look for slashes and digs?

is there much high country around germennson?

justin

ryanb
09-14-2006, 08:03 PM
There is not much alpine around germansen. You will have to drive North or west. The road North is pretty rough, but quite driveable. Is the main purpose for you to hunt moose, or Grizz?

If you're after grizz, you can make daytrips north, but if you can take more than a daytrip it will be better because you are looking at at-least 2 hours driving to get into accessible alpine, and 3+ hours to areas further north where you can glass alot of alpine from low down (ONE WAY).

pupper
09-14-2006, 08:33 PM
well the main purpose for me is grizz as i dont have a tag in the leh shared hunt.
i will also p/u a cariboo tag and my grizz hunting partner will p/u an elk tag.along with a moose tag in the slight chance we will catch a spiker.
(what is the spike moose population like there anyways)?

where am i best off hunting for grizz, cariboo, ?

ryanb
09-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Never saw an elk in 7-38, I don't think there are many. Chances are probably better than most areas for finding a spike-fork moose. Grizz will be mostly in the alpine as goat guy said. The two rivers I mentioned in my PM are the areas with reasonably good access, plenty of alpine, lots of cuts to glass...and more cariboo then around germansen.

pupper
09-15-2006, 02:24 PM
okay, I am going to look at my maps and gps. do you have anyway points up there marked? if so pm me and ill see if i can download them.

Justin

Stone Sheep Steve
09-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Sounds like frost hit that area HARD. Berries might no longer attract the bears.

SSS