PDA

View Full Version : 22 or 12g for hunting grouse?

Hunter121
09-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I am new to hunting, and I was just wondering what do you prefer a 22 rifle or a 12 g shotgun for hunting grouse and why ? Keep in mind that I will be hunting without a dog.

The Dawg
09-28-2011, 10:29 PM
22, as using the 12g from up close, you might not have much left!

Livewire322
09-28-2011, 10:38 PM
.410 shotgun

todbartell
09-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I've always used a 22 until this fall, I picked up a 410 shotgun. 6/6 so far with minimal damage to the bird boobs. Works good unless you try to stretch it past 20-25 yards

bosca
09-28-2011, 10:59 PM
shot gun for sport ...catch them in flight.
22 for food.
I have done both and really enjoy the hunt with a really well trained dog and a shotgun...but if you want grouse without having to pick through the lead pellets then stick with a nice clean head shot with your 22. Most bird hunters would frown upon the fact that you are taking a bird from the ground but ...I guess it all depends on your objective.

PointMan
09-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I use an old Savage .22/.410 over/under, I love the thing, first shot is with the .22 because it's cheap and does little or no real damage, if I miss and it goes to wing I can do a quick follow up with the .410 scatter shot.

olsonb
09-28-2011, 11:40 PM
.22 all the way

Tikka270
09-29-2011, 12:25 AM
.410 all the way. I use a browning bps.

NorthShoreX
09-29-2011, 02:18 AM
You could even use the .22LR with #12 bird shot rounds. I'm thinking of trying it out on my next trip.

sarg
09-29-2011, 07:52 AM
.410 is where its at for grouse, but i would rather the 12g over the .22 way less damage with the 12g then the .22. that just my 2cent
sarg

09-29-2011, 08:08 AM
You could even use the .22LR with #12 bird shot rounds. I'm thinking of trying it out on my next trip.

No dont. #12 is way too small, and how much powder do you think is behind them.
To give you an idea i shoot #6 at grouse in both my 20Ga and 12ga. I shoot #2 at ducks and if you have shot at ducks you would know they are flying Armour! #12 is like shooting sand. All you will do is miss or wound the bird.

I am not a .22 guy but cant argue they work well. I just like to shoot them on the wing if i can. Im not above ground sloucing them but prefer wing shooting.
Grouse to me are best shot with a 20Ga. Although a 12ga is way more versitile if you can only buy one.

Go 12ga and get into duck hunting as well as upland.

pembified
09-29-2011, 08:23 AM
I was wondering why nobody had mentioned the 20 ga. Works fine in my book, though it's getting harder to find #6. And if you shoot steel, can you use a magnet to pull the shot afterwards?

Singleshotneeded
09-29-2011, 10:19 AM
A 20 gauge is probably the best shotgun to use for grouse, though the 12 gauge is more common and versatile.
Nothing wrong with a rimfire either, as long as the shooter practices and goes for head shots.

Foxton Gundogs
09-29-2011, 11:39 AM
No dog, get 1 of the 410/22LR O/Us. the ultimate grouse combo if toy arn't hunting over a dog.

huntwriter
09-29-2011, 12:40 PM
I use the .22 or 12 gauge loaded with 2 4/3 target shells with #4 to #6 pellets. On a stationary bird aim just above the head, this reders the bird very dead with minimal to no damage to the meat. With the .22 I aim directly at the head of the bird, since the breast are most meat you will get from a grouse I do not want to much damage in that area of the body.

09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
12 gauge loaded with 2 4/3 target shells with #4 to #6 pellets. On a stationary bird aim just above the head, this reders the bird very dead with minimal to no damage to the meat. .

This is what many people miss out on is how to shoot a bird with a 12ga properly. I aim directly at the head myself with the same outcome. But i have handed my shot gun to friends on their turn and a body shot "Ditch chicken" dont fair out as welll as a head shot bird.

Always aim at the head even in flight, by the time the shot hits a flying bird it will be center mass if you swing through the bird and squeeze when you get to the beak! And that my friends is where the .22 and .410 loose the race.

Foxton Gundogs
09-29-2011, 01:03 PM
This is what many people miss out on is how to shoot a bird with a 12ga properly. I aim directly at the head myself with the same outcome. But i have handed my shot gun to friends on their turn and a body shot "Ditch chicken" dont fair out as welll as a head shot bird.

Always aim at the head even in flight, by the time the shot hits a flying bird it will be center mass if you swing through the bird and squeeze when you get to the beak! And that my friends is where the .22 and .410 loose the race.
ln the air no doubt, I agree with the 12 ga., but b 4 she got her 870 20ga. My X used a 410 exclusively on grouse and was a deadly wing shot with it as she became with the 20. Glad we had an amiable split lol.

09-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I guess since i have a 20ga and a couple 12ga's i dont need a .410! now a 28ga if one wound up near me i may have to spend some money!

NorthShoreX
09-29-2011, 04:39 PM
No dont. #12 is way too small, and how much powder do you think is behind them.
To give you an idea i shoot #6 at grouse in both my 20Ga and 12ga. I shoot #2 at ducks and if you have shot at ducks you would know they are flying Armour! #12 is like shooting sand. All you will do is miss or wound the bird.

I am not a .22 guy but cant argue they work well. I just like to shoot them on the wing if i can. Im not above ground sloucing them but prefer wing shooting.
Grouse to me are best shot with a 20Ga. Although a 12ga is way more versitile if you can only buy one.

Go 12ga and get into duck hunting as well as upland.

I wouldn't be taking them on the wing at all, I was going to use it for close in work when the grouse are hiding behind a small tree or a low branch.

Foxton Gundogs
09-29-2011, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't be taking them on the wing at all, I was going to use it for close in work when the grouse are hiding behind a small tree or a low branch.
then go with the 410/22 or a Browing lever 22 is a sweet little gun. But honestly you will probably get way more in the open than "hiding" they usually sit run or fly.

Foxton Gundogs
09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
I was wondering why nobody had mentioned the 20 ga. Works fine in my book, though it's getting harder to find #6. And if you shoot steel, can you use a magnet to pull the shot afterwards?
#6 and 7.5 target load is easy to find by the "brick" at Cambodian Tire and fairly cheap both 12s and 20s. I think you would need an awfully strong magnet to remove steel shot.lol

Hunter121
09-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all the input. I guess I just have to decide between .410 shotty or a 22 LR.

new hunter
09-29-2011, 08:01 PM
12g will do you fine , plus you'll have plenty of gun if you get a chance to go for ducks or geese . I use a 12 almost exclusively for grouse , I've only made a mess once and I was so close it would have splattered had I used an air rifle . Nice thing with the 12 is that you have enough shot in the column that you can use it at ranges you couldnt do with a .410 . I recently took a large snow shoe hare with #8 at a range I would estimate to be about 30 yrds . Your .410 won't do that {from what I've been told }. The advantage to the .410 would be that its super light , but if youre walking for grouse you'd be better off with a coach or riot gun any ways as they flush at close range .

NorthShoreX
09-29-2011, 08:02 PM
then go with the 410/22 or a Browing lever 22 is a sweet little gun. But honestly you will probably get way more in the open than "hiding" they usually sit run or fly.

By "hiding" I mean putting a low branch or tree between them and me so I can not get a clean shot. They did that on a regular basis on my last trip, the little guys would run all over the damn place then sit behind some branches.

Pioneerman
09-29-2011, 08:10 PM
I have used a 22 since I don't hunt slashes just for grouse, if I wanted to get them flying I would use a 12 gauge , but I do not like how the pellets push feathers through the breast and you have to deal with that. The 22 with a scope works great out to 50 - 60 yards head neck shots and no meat wasted, no meat damage. Also lesss noise as I am generally hunting for larger game and don't need a lot of noise echoing through the valley

.330 Dakota
09-29-2011, 08:11 PM

Thats all I have ever used for grouse is a 20. The 12 is too much and the 410 seems a little light imo

cloverphil
09-29-2011, 08:17 PM
i always use a 22 but I will be getting a 410 soon which may get a lot of use too, I've been told the 28 ga is the best for grouse or rabbit hunting but have yet to try one myself

also prefer the limit of noise that a 22 makes since I'm usually looking for larger game and don't want to scare them deer off

heyblast
09-29-2011, 08:19 PM
If the 12 guage is all you have it will work fine and you can use for ducks, geese, turkeys, rabbits, deer, etc more fersatile. As for damaging a grouse if it's close enough to damage the meat it's close enough to shoot the head off. I've never had a problem.

cariboobill
09-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Well I shoot my Rem .223 load with Barnes Spitzer Solid at 1800 fps using 7 grains of Blue Bot. As like some here, I do not like lead or steel shot up grouse and using the .223 for sitting grouse no mess or feathers in the meat. The single projectile passes through the vital area I shoot and the rest of the bird is left intact. I do not use the .22 as the only shot you can get is lead and lead transfer is something you want to avoid.

Good luck with what ever you go with.

CB

09-30-2011, 08:23 AM

Trust me, you are way better off if you are shooting a .22 to use a proper .22 cartridge.
If you want to give thoes .22 shot shells a whirl, buy some and buy some cheap pop. Go out to the bush and shoot at it with the shot shell at 15yds then shoot another with the .22 Play around with "Penitration" Tests before you shoot them at a bird.

coach
09-30-2011, 09:29 AM
I guess you need to consider the side benefits of your choice. A shotgun will likely ensure you have more success - if filling your bag limit is your ultimate goal. You'll be able to wing shoot or shoot them through cover. I've used a .22, .410, 20 gauge and 12 gauge over the years. Over the last couple seasons, I've also used my bow - losing arrows is damn costly, but it gave me the confidence and skills to make good shots on deer. When I started hunting (in the same neck of the woods you live), my grandpa set me up with a .22 and scope. He insisted I shoot grouse in the head. This taught me all kinds of skills that are useful when hunting bigger game. You will quickly become a better shot, will learn to acquire the target in your scope, and will learn to look for natural rests to shoot from. You will also learn patience. When a bird walks behind a tree, you'll have to wait until it moves again to give you a clean shot. The same thing is going to apply with moose or deer at another time. I've let my daughter use the .20 gauge on grouse for the last couple years, but after watching her struggle to get herself into a good shooting position with her .270 and having several deer walk away, I'm now insisting she shoot chickens with the .22. In the end, the lessons will pay off - even if it means we take a few less grouse.

09-30-2011, 09:38 AM
I guess you need to consider the side benefits of your choice. A shotgun will likely ensure you have more success - if filling your bag limit is your ultimate goal. You'll be able to wing shoot or shoot them through cover. I've used a .22, .410, 20 gauge and 12 gauge over the years. Over the last couple seasons, I've also used my bow - losing arrows is damn costly, but it gave me the confidence and skills to make good shots on deer. When I started hunting (in the same neck of the woods you live), my grandpa set me up with a .22 and scope. He insisted I shoot grouse in the head. This taught me all kinds of skills that are useful when hunting bigger game. You will quickly become a better shot, will learn to acquire the target in your scope, and will learn to look for natural rests to shoot from. You will also learn patience. When a bird walks behind a tree, you'll have to wait until it moves again to give you a clean shot. The same thing is going to apply with moose or deer at another time. I've let my daughter use the .20 gauge on grouse for the last couple years, but after watching her struggle to get herself into a good shooting position with her .270 and having several deer walk away, I'm now insisting she shoot chickens with the .22. In the end, the lessons will pay off - even if it means we take a few less grouse.

You are most definatly right here BUT!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Conversly, shooting them with a shot gun on the wing will teach you shooting skills.
taking the .22 to a gravel pit and target shooting will to. As well as bringing the clay thrower and a bunch of bullets.

What i am saying is everyone here is "Right" you just gotta figure out what is "Right" for you.

coach
09-30-2011, 11:04 AM
835 - you are right! Ha ha.

Ditch Pig
09-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I like the 410/22 over and under had mine for 30 years and have not missed many grouse with that combo... happy hunting.

Foxton Gundogs
09-30-2011, 02:56 PM
You are most definatly right here BUT!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Conversly, shooting them with a shot gun on the wing will teach you shooting skills.
taking the .22 to a gravel pit and target shooting will to. As well as bringing the clay thrower and a bunch of bullets.

What i am saying is everyone here is "Right" you just gotta figure out what is "Right" for you.

Now THERE is the best quote I've read in a while

09-30-2011, 03:13 PM
I try to ba as profound as i can!
Really though, There is no awnser to this question! Ive taken the .22 to be more "Marksman" like, but then got mad that i couldnt shoot the flyers.
course you could wait until they tree and then get'um again with the .22,,,,,, I just cant wait that long!

finngun
10-01-2011, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=Ditch Pig;987476]I like the 410/22 over and under had mine for 30 years and have not missed many grouse with that combo... happy hunting.

here we go-- combo is no 1 for grouse hunting..and good for many other kind hunting too i sure like my valmet...30-06-- 12c...

gab
10-10-2011, 06:48 PM
For small game I carry a Savage .22/20 gauge combo gun. Plus I have a few 20 gauge slugs in my pocket in case I see a deer. I have a pile of guns, but my Savage .22/20 gauge is one I would never part with.

SimilkameenSlayer
10-11-2011, 08:25 AM
.22lr semi-auto is what i like to use. you can easily take a lot of birds quickly. plus the semi is fun to shoot.

Mykos
10-11-2011, 11:12 AM
For small game I carry a Savage .22/20 gauge combo gun. Plus I have a few 20 gauge slugs in my pocket in case I see a deer. I have a pile of guns, but my Savage .22/20 gauge is one I would never part with.

I've got a Baikal .22/20 combo and do the same thing. Some #6 for birds on the wing and rabbits on the run, .22 for head shots on stationary small game, and a few slugs in the pocket for the off chance you get close to a deer. Combination guns are great for the versatility you get.