PDA

View Full Version : first time moose hunting in 5-2a any suggestions?

aaronpaulconstruction
09-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Me and two friends are moose hunting virgins. Two of us have shot lots of deer and decided it was time to put in for an leh. We have a draw for the 1-15 of October. We have never hunted in region 5. any tips or wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Allen50
09-28-2011, 07:32 PM
moose are bigger then deer so more work will be required to get it back to camp, have fun, and make sure you have all you hunting stuff before you go,, good luck...

ratherbefishin
09-28-2011, 07:43 PM
you hit the rut right on the nose!-better have a quad or a pak cart to get the quarters out-and count on about 4 hours steady work before its quartered,skinned and hung.The reward is a winters supply of the best meat you can get

aaronpaulconstruction
09-28-2011, 08:06 PM
we have to quads and a cordless sawzall that seems to be the trick to quartering the moose?

Drillbit
09-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Satellite Radio....sirius works way better than xm on bushroads.

srupp
09-29-2011, 01:33 PM
WOW 2 days before the season?? .. get a box of 20 tampons, a quart of moose in heat pee..hang em high and in the wind...get up REALLY early 4 am... be down along cutblocks , small lakes..etc and call cow call.. the whole day...and the next and the next..the cows ARE IN HEAT and the bulls ARE scenting and listening... you can call em in..

srupp

yota
09-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Srupp I couldn't have said it better myself we do that every year and get our bulls. Got love the rut its like there so one mind tracked they pay no attention to anything else and just come right in.

silvertipp
09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
i just got back from a succesful hunt in there pm me and ill see what i can do PS lots of poaching going on right now

srupp
09-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Ya...I kinda knew THAT was gonna happen..... AGAIN..

couches and pickup trucks and 2 am shooting sheeeeezsh..

Hey CONGRAD SILVERTIPP..well done..

Steven

srupp
09-29-2011, 01:42 PM
lol the rut..= last call @ the bar....everyone is only looking to get laid...

Unlike the human species in the animal kingdome the cow moose actually do instigate the mating....the bull merely respond...HAPPILY..

srr

silvertipp
09-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Ya its really shity when your heading out at dark & there heading in,so i followed one guy and confronted him ,his reply was he was cutting fire wood .so i told him he would be reported and left,record i know off three animals pit lamped while i was there for four days not a good

Brian011
09-29-2011, 02:01 PM
I have the same draw, I'll be in there for 10 days or until I get a moose, goodluck, like they said check out cutblocks around swampy areas and call.

Banjo
09-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Ya its really shity when your heading out at dark & there heading in,so i followed one guy and confronted him ,his reply was he was cutting fire wood .so i told him he would be reported and left,record i know off three animals pit lamped while i was there for four days not a good

Who are these guys.......young, old, mixed??

silvertipp
09-29-2011, 02:12 PM
they are starting to answer
The two people i ran into were aroung 60 ish grey hair blue mid 80 small chevy truck short wood box side
when i talked to the CO in town he said they were haveing all sorts off problems ,mostly out west

srupp
09-29-2011, 02:18 PM
hmmm find the highest hilltop and call.... GET PAST THE LAST CAMPS...if everyone is at 22 km...get to 32 km..

Steven

Caveman
09-29-2011, 02:31 PM
WOW 2 days before the season?? .. get a box of 20 tampons, a quart of moose in heat pee..hang em high and in the wind...get up REALLY early 4 am... be down along cutblocks , small lakes..etc and call cow call.. the whole day...and the next and the next..the cows ARE IN HEAT and the bulls ARE scenting and listening... you can call em in..

srupp

I sense a little sarcasim or humour in this response Steven!! LOL!!

olharley guy
09-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Who are these guys.......young, old, mixed??

Howdy, I also would like to know as I am going in a 5-2 general area just about every morning and night for deer? I wouldn't want to get shot on my way home in the evening!!!! Later

srupp
09-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Caveman..the first sentence was sarcasim.... 2 days BEFORE a moose LEH is not the time to be seeking assistance or information....but better than 2 days after the season??lol..

The part starting with the box of tampons REALLY is my best advise ..because it works.. moose in heat urine..will saturate the tampons and the air..even at night while your asleep...drawing bulls in on the wind..I even sometimes use a "drag" a small sandbag covered with a rolled up towel saturated in the pee..and drag it along back trails to hidden cutblocks...where the tampons are soaked and hanging 10 ' in the air under the branches of trees ..so rain wont wash em out..

These are the areas you want to call to and from... you physically cant hunt..ie travel the same distance a good caller can cover in a day I KNOW I can reach a bull 5 kilometers in any direction..pretty hard to cover that area sucessfully and quietly...so OCT 1-15 is calling time...I didnt mean to be rude or sarcastic but REALLY.. a little earlier preperation would be more appropriate imo...

But the advice is good..

cheers
Steven

cariboobill
09-29-2011, 08:40 PM
Hello AP Const:

This area is great for moose. HOwever you need to spend time calling. The area around Valentine/Edmond Lake is good. Also around the Flat Lake Prov Park also holds good moose. Whale Lake is also a good spot. Lots of good spots to set up camp int he area as well.

Good luck

Cb