PDA

View Full Version : headed north , where ? grr frustrated

lightmag
09-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Don't know what to do ! Was headed to halfway /graham river area (see earlier post ) but I'm getting mixed reviews on the area ?
Where should we go , I don't want to waste time and money , so there , trutch , redfern area , wonowon , sikanni chief, tumbler? What to go for moose and elk , have 8 days , what r your thoughts fellow friends

Thanks

Schmaus
09-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Go with your brother :)

Timbow
09-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Hate to be a wise-ass, but why go at all? Sounds like doom and gloom, no more game out there. Stick with your original plan, and remember it's about getting out and enjoying yourself. Harvesting an animal is a bonus.

Cheers.

moosinaround
09-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Stay at home lightmag, shoot a local moose and elk?! Or head out to Hudson Hope and see whats cooking up around butler ridge, or up the south side of the Moberly? Lots of roads, probably lots of hunters but lots of country to find critters in too. I have no first hand info of this area, but it has intrigued me for years! Any day in the woods sure beats work. My 2 sheckles! Moosin

lightmag
09-28-2011, 06:45 PM
All good points , ill be a little more positive :) time and money :) don't want to waste either

pappy
09-28-2011, 06:46 PM
All those other hunters didn't stop me, some of them tell you new areas to explore and where they seen game. You don't tip anything over by not trying, and when your new to an area its more luck than knowledge, untill you've been there a few times. Then its both.

rec
09-28-2011, 06:47 PM
We hunted Red Fern 5 yrs ago rough trail but I'd do it agan hope to next yr, I have to find a new hunting partner... (my old hunting group has disband after 25 yrs of hunting together getting old realy sucks) saw lots of moose and a few elk ... good luck PM me if you need more info

Allen50
09-28-2011, 06:53 PM
hunters dont wine, they just go hunting, go wear you started cause you think all the people on this site or any other site is going to tell you the trouth about the area,,think not, they may tell you some stuff but not what you like to here,, the animals are there you just have to be there and cross there path, and then see if you can put something on the ground, so yea go wear you first started to go and see what happens, be there when the game is movening, and see if you got what it takes to put it down,,, good luck,

4 point
09-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Wait a second, are you telling me all hunters don't tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth......

Darksith
09-28-2011, 09:38 PM
yeah honestly call it an adventure and just go. There are a few guys on here that will actually help you out, but most will simply say stupid stuff like "thats not where I'd go" or theres no game there. I can understand someone not wanting to post their honey holes online for everyone to see, but a friendly PM every once in a while of good spots to be and places to avoid would sure be helpful to fellow hunters wanting to explore new areas. Unfortunately thats not the case most of the time, so you just gotta get out there and learn for yourself. I wouldn't do the redfern trail or any of those other trails unless you are prepared to haul camp in 20-30km by quad. Not having a quad trailer is a huge disadvantage, and I learned that 1 the hard way this year myself. That being said I hope someone sends you a PM and shares a general area with you, if it was an area I knew I would. You also said you have private land to hunt, it simply don't get any better than that my friend. And if you have a quad I would seriously take a day trip into crying girl and hit the christina falls trail. For 1 the falls are amazing, you gotta see them if you are in that area, for 2 there is a burn in there that has a huge amount of elk sign up on the ridge, it was simply too hot and early when I was there, it might be great now, Ive honestly never seen so much elk sign, it was old, but everywhere.

lightmag
09-29-2011, 08:05 AM
thanks darksith!! i will take all of your advice , thanks you

Gunner
09-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Just pick a spot and go,you can't shoot a damn thing from your couch!I'd be suprised if you didn't have a great time no matter where you choose to hunt...Good Luck,Gunner

ianwuzhere
09-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Im in the same boat- not sure where i wanna go-would like to do a combo hunt-want to head where sheep live before the season ends or snow comes... good luck wherever ya go- id say try somewherez new...

Bigbear
09-29-2011, 08:45 AM
It has Been a Few Years But, I have had good Luck In the Wonon Area. Mostly down on the lower side.. Tumbler can be good as well, up in the Sukunka Valley. Big Big Moose.

Darksith
09-29-2011, 10:15 AM
If you do check out crying girl, and you do hike the burn, there are about 3 or 4 benches above the trail. I spent a good week walking in there, there was a little bit of fresh sign, but not enough to be productive obviously since I didn't see a thing. There is a small creek running along the 3rd bench just below the treeline. That would be the best spot if the elk are in there in numbers big enough to warrant sticking around to hunt that area. If you don't see enough fresh sign I wouldn't spend a 2nd day in there, but at least it gives you an option. There is the horseshoe creek road at around 84km on that road? Somewhere there, its got a sign. That road heads north along the other side of the ridge, and the locals told me that the elk can be in there as well. Just more options for ya, but I would do some serious searching on your private land opportunity. Talking with the guide he said that the heards come out of the mountains along those ridges and end up at the farmers fields late in the year, so depending on temps and migration patterns the closer to the fields the elk get the greater their herd numbers get Im guessing. Hopefully they are talking by now, that makes locating them just a wee bit easier for us foreigners ;)