PDA

View Full Version : Beetle Cleaning Skull

PointMan
09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
I know it's been mentioned here before and I did do a search, but couldn't find anything current. I thought I had read in the past that there was a guy on here that offered beetle cleaning of bear skulls as a fundraiser for HBC, am I right? If I am can someone pass on the info to me, I'd like to get the one I have cleaned for my son as a souvenir of our hunt together. Price all such details would be great. Thanks.

greenhorn
09-28-2011, 10:17 AM
BigBoar beetle cleaned mine, maybe send him a PM?

Hope you don't mind the free advertising BigBoar

PointMan
09-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I'll do a search for him and drop him a line. How much did it run you to get it done and how long till you got it back?

greenhorn
09-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Can't remember what it cost, so it couldn't have been too much.

I think it only took two weeks from the time I sent it to him to get it back, but he may be busy so best to ask him when he could get to it.

PointMan
09-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks, PM sent.

PointMan
09-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks Kirby, I'll give them a call too. I left messages with the local taxidermists, but they're so busy right now I don't hold much hope there right now.

Slinky Pickle
09-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Hey PointMan, if you do find a source could you let me know too please. I'm thinking of doing a Euro mount on my Mulie buck.

4pointer91
09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Yah, I also need a beetle source. I have a 5x4 whitetail skull from last fall my son shot, boiled it but couldn't clean all of it up.
Afraid if I boil it anymore the poor thing will need Polident.

buck nash
09-28-2011, 12:09 PM
I've got a bear I'd like done. I'll follow this thread to see if it goes anywhere.

PointMan
09-28-2011, 12:12 PM
LOL
Didn't expect this can of worms!
Will update as soon as I have info.

Slinky Pickle
09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Guess I should buy some beetles :) :)

4pointer91
09-28-2011, 01:01 PM
here ya go!

http://www.dermestidbeetlecolonies.com

http://www.dermestidbeetlecolonies.com/secondpage.html

Guess I should buy some beetles :) :)

Gateholio
09-28-2011, 01:03 PM
I've been thinking about getting beetles for a few years. I just need to find where to get some in the first place! I've got lots of room for a "beetle shed"

greenhorn
09-28-2011, 01:57 PM
If you can wait and get the skulls beetle cleaned you will be pleased with the results. The teeth in your bear skull will remain in place and the intricate cartilage in the nasal cavity will also be preserved. I find the beetle cleaned skulls are easier to get the stink out of too. A day or two in peroxide and dawn, and they smell april fresh :)

BiG Boar
09-28-2011, 02:02 PM
I have beetles currently as mentioned by others. They are definitely not as easy to keep as one might think. I have had them die off a number of times. Stink, yes. Not recommended for city dwellers or people with bears in the neighborhood. I am moving soon, and I don't really like my neighbors anyways, so I don't really care. To have a good set up takes time and effort, you can't just throw in a whole skinned skull. 95% of the meat must be removed and the brains, which is far from pleasant. However they will eat almost anything, previously boiled skulls or dried out old skulls aren't really a problem. Also, they can destroy taxidermy capes. The advantages of getting your skull beetle cleaned are: it retains more size as it doesn't get heated up in boiling. The teeth don't crack and split. The skull doesn't disintegrate and bones don't fracture or come apart. You get to keep all the tiny intricate bones on the mount. Such as the nasal mesh, which really looks intricate and pretty cool. Your bear skull will score better and look more detailed. And you will have the right teeth left in place. My colony did die off in the past but after several changes I have several hundred dollars invested in odor neutralizing, heating and cooling, and air circulation, housing and beetles again.

MattTse
09-28-2011, 03:00 PM
what are the benefits of beetles over boiling? i just boiled a bear skull using washing soda, NOT baking soda. and it took about 2 hours and it was done. of course i cut off as much meat as possible, including cutting out the cheeks etc. Cutting the meat off took about 1/2 hour.

Downwind
09-28-2011, 03:50 PM
The last post before you explains the benefits of beetles over boiling.

srupp
09-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Great post Dave..puts it very plainly the advantages of the beetles...

steven

meat eater
09-28-2011, 04:57 PM
i also would like any further info on this thread!!!!

sherpa-Al
09-28-2011, 05:00 PM
There is a guy in Fraser lake that has beetles as well if anyone is interested up that way.

Al.

Ghillie
09-28-2011, 06:37 PM
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,16008.0.html?PHPSESSID=236p68iemqnhjb4vvsn1h o8cp7
Heres a thread on how to do a Euro mount yourself! I followed this and my mount turned out flawless (Profile Pic) !!!
Its a process called Maceration. Maceration and Beetles are, in my opinion, the ONLY 2 SAFE WAYS to do a skull! Please don't boil! Boiling is extremely risky! And doesnt look professional At. All.

tikkavt
09-28-2011, 09:23 PM
I have Dermisted beetles here in Penticton if anyone is interested you can PM me.

4pointer91
10-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Just got my kids whitetail skull back after some beetle work and it looks great! ...now for the peroxide!

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x474/4pointer91/DSCN0434-1.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x474/4pointer91/DSCN0435-1.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x474/4pointer91/DSCN0436.jpg

The Dawg
10-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Just got my kids whitetail skull back after some beetle work and it looks great! ...now for the peroxide

Yes it does! Where did you get the beetle work done?

sarg
10-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Just got my kids whitetail skull back after some beetle work and it looks great! ...now for the peroxide!

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x474/4pointer91/DSCN0434-1.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x474/4pointer91/DSCN0435-1.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x474/4pointer91/DSCN0436.jpg
what did it cost if u dont mind my asking?

4pointer91
10-11-2011, 09:47 PM
A local guy in Penticton did the work. He does work for Harley White taxidermy in Westbank.
Send me a PM and I'll give you his contact information.

ACE
10-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Just a note, if beetles aren't an option for you.........if you are going to do bear skulls, remove as much tissue as possible, including the brain. Remove the lower jaw, and place it upside down in your large pot, and place the skull on top of it. Do not boil....use a moderate heat, and cook the remaining tissue. When it has cooked, remove from the water, and remove the remaining tissue.......it will smell a little 'odd', but will not stink. The canine teeth will break if the roots are not pointing up. The canines are somewhat hollow in the root, and if any remaining atmosphere cannot vent from the base of the root, it will expand when heated and sometimes crack the tooth.....

Some people like bleached skulls, its all a matter of personal taste........with the method explained above, I use a pure vegtable oil on the skull when it comes out of the water.....this gives the skull a variable brown / tan color, and the teeth are the natural color......

The one drawback in all this is.....the delicate nose structure should be removed before cooking the skull
Also applying the oil to the skull while it's still warm and very absorbant seems to stop shrinkage.........
Have done many skulls over the years using this method.........happy trails!

dutchie
10-11-2011, 09:59 PM
I have beetles currently as mentioned by others. They are definitely not as easy to keep as one might think. I have had them die off a number of times. Stink, yes. Not recommended for city dwellers or people with bears in the neighborhood. I am moving soon, and I don't really like my neighbors anyways, so I don't really care. To have a good set up takes time and effort, you can't just throw in a whole skinned skull. 95% of the meat must be removed and the brains, which is far from pleasant. However they will eat almost anything, previously boiled skulls or dried out old skulls aren't really a problem. Also, they can destroy taxidermy capes. The advantages of getting your skull beetle cleaned are: it retains more size as it doesn't get heated up in boiling. The teeth don't crack and split. The skull doesn't disintegrate and bones don't fracture or come apart. You get to keep all the tiny intricate bones on the mount. Such as the nasal mesh, which really looks intricate and pretty cool. Your bear skull will score better and look more detailed. And you will have the right teeth left in place. My colony did die off in the past but after several changes I have several hundred dollars invested in odor neutralizing, heating and cooling, and air circulation, housing and beetles again.

If anyone wants to Imagin the stink... The shed is about 30 feet from Bigbores hot tub and and stench overtook us and we all almost puked... it is not pleasant but when neighbours are as bad as his... I would recommend the beetles!!!

Dutchie

4pointer91
10-11-2011, 10:19 PM
That's for sure ...decomposing meat is a very noticeable smell. Also smells a bit like ammonia, for short a duration it is tolerable. Certainly not an operation you would want in your living area.

If anyone wants to Imagin the stink... The shed is about 30 feet from Bigbores hot tub and and stench overtook us and we all almost puked... it is not pleasant but when neighbours are as bad as his... I would recommend the beetles!!!

Dutchie

seatoskymiles
12-01-2011, 10:39 AM
anyone do the beetle clean close to Squamish? got a 4x5 muley on yesterday in 2-11 that I want a euro mount, thanks to Silentstalker and Calvin for the help yesterday

Gateholio
12-01-2011, 11:24 AM
anyone do the beetle clean close to Squamish? got a 4x5 muley on yesterday in 2-11 that I want a euro mount, thanks to Silentstalker and Calvin for the help yesterday

Lets see the pics :)

seatoskymiles
12-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I downloaded the photo to the gallery, how do I put it here?

Gateholio
12-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I posted it over there for you

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?71912-Trophy-blacktail-hunting-2011/page11

Great buck!

TommyGuitar
12-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Can't you put one inside an ant hill too?

Ghillie
12-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Can't you put one inside an ant hill too?
I would definitely not recommend doing that. The UV rays from the sun will whiten / make the antlers chalky, the ants take far longer than beetles or maceration. If it is a trophy that you want to be presentable dont put it on an anthill hahaha
Also a coyote might sit there and chew on it, or a dog or wolf will. Field mice will chew on the antlers or something might smell it and take off with it.

It might not be the best idea to put it in an anthill lol :)

Gumsehwah
12-16-2011, 03:35 PM
When I was a student I used to do the beetle cleaning at the zooantropology lab. Maybe they can get you a few starter beetles?

Gumsehwah
12-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Sometimes people up here will tie a rope to the skull and submerge it in the river over the summer.

. . . or you could find some sea lice. . .

Gumsehwah
12-16-2011, 03:40 PM
When I was a student I used to do the beetle cleaning at the zooantropology lab. Maybe they can get you a few starter beetles?

Oh, yeah. . . secret to the beetles is that they don't like their food "juicy". They like it dried, like jerky.

houndsman
12-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Shaun Scott in salmon arm has bugs 250-804-7300 & will clean skuls