PDA

View Full Version : Taking my PAL nov 12

fyffer
09-28-2011, 06:53 AM
I'm taking my coarse in Nov, i was wondering after the coarse what is the next step to being able to purchase a riffle for hunting. going to be taking my core in Dec or Jan. On the day of the PAL coarse is there a final test exam the same day? any info is great or any websites I can look at info before i go. More info the better.

Thanks

Brad Fyffe

greenhorn
09-28-2011, 07:29 AM
It's been a few years since I took it but this is how it worked:
1. Take the PAL/firearms course, which was a combination of book-reading, instructional videos, and hands on handling of safe deactivated arms.
2. Take the written/practical test.
3. Once test is passed, send in your application to get the PAL license.

When I took the course, it was two days for about 8hrs a day. I preferred this over the two week options because it was quicker, and the guy I took it from really new his stuff and made it very interesting.

r106
09-28-2011, 07:39 AM
yes there is a test at the end. I think it's 50 questioms, multiple choice answers. there is also a hands on test with you and the instructor were you handle firarms and he asks you questions to make sure you can follow the ACTS and PROVE. Then if you pass you mail in the paper work with a picture and wait while the goverment does a back ground check and posibly call your references.

With the core basiclly the same procedure the likley wont make you do the handling the firearm part of the test. send in paper work o BCWF the send you a certificate you can the go to a sevice bc lacation and get your hunter # card then go get license and tags.

r0adki1l
09-28-2011, 12:37 PM
With the core basiclly the same procedure the likley wont make you do the handling the firearm part of the test. send in paper work o BCWF the send you a certificate you can the go to a sevice bc lacation and get your hunter # card then go get license and tags.

Pretty Sure you will have to do it in the core aswell they call it the Practical. as far as the pal goes I challenged it after the core... sit down multiple choice test aprox 50 questions. Then the Practical were you domenstrate ACTS PROVE and identify bullets etc... then you will more then likely have to pretend to cross a fence with a firearm. pretty easy other then getting nervous but just go slow and think out everything you do.

MATTIAC
09-28-2011, 01:17 PM
yea, take the PAL, I challenged my non restricted and reatricted at the same time, pretty easy, mostly common sense. 1 written and one practical for each. you take your documents that say you passed, fill out the application with a picture and form of payment, mail it off to the GOVT, and they will process it and send your card in the mail. then you are able to purchase firearms and ammunition. you dont need your hunter training to wait to buy guns.

Rev.
09-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Pretty Sure you will have to do it in the core aswell they call it the Practical. as far as the pal goes I challenged it after the core... sit down multiple choice test aprox 50 questions. Then the Practical were you domenstrate ACTS PROVE and identify bullets etc... then you will more then likely have to pretend to cross a fence with a firearm. pretty easy other then getting nervous but just go slow and think out everything you do.

You will not be required to do the practical portion of your core course if you have completed the Canadian Firearm Safety Course (CFSC), just make sure you bring proof of your completion to where ever you do your course.

fyffer
09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
should i bring a photo with me when i do my coarse incase they send in the forms for me. and if so should i just go get a passport kinda photo done and use that? the coarse for me is over in one day.

WaderGator
09-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Im sure everyone runs the course slightly different. Call up the instructor and ask him/her what is required. I did Both courses at Silvercore in Delta and I wish that I had taken the CORE portion and just challenged the PAL/RPAL part to save a couple hundred bucks. The exam is pretty common sense and I'm sure if you give your study book a good read you'll pass no problem

RayHill
09-28-2011, 06:27 PM
You won't be doing any hunting this year. PAL takes from a month to up to three months to go through. Also if you are taking CORE in December the season is done by then.

fyffer
09-28-2011, 06:39 PM
going to do Pal but going to wait for core just for that reason. was talking to a good buddy we plan on going to the yukon for a moose and mountain goat hunt next year and i hope to get two bucks on the island also. Im a chef and look forward to cooking up all this good meat. I do not have any friends that hunt on the island so once the time comes would love to learn from someone. thanks for all the help

Brad Fyffe

r0adki1l
09-29-2011, 11:22 AM
You will not be required to do the practical portion of your core course if you have completed the Canadian Firearm Safety Course (CFSC), just make sure you bring proof of your completion to where ever you do your course.

I retract that statement now that i think about it i did the core then the pal.

new hunter
09-29-2011, 05:05 PM
All you need to do is take the course and fill out and send the paper work . You'll need a passport photo , which is shot to special dimensions for the pal {tell the photo place what its for } , get the photo once you've filled out the paper work and are about to send it out .
Then you just need a stamp and some patience . I believe you wait 45 days if all goes well , in that time you'll buy every shooting magazine out there , and will annoy the shit out of all the staff at every gun store within driving distance .
You'll change your mind about a dozen times about what your going to buy , and will ask your gun owning friends and this forums members their opinion on every gun that catches your eye and costs what you get in a paycheck .
Finally , after calling the firearms centre several hundred times about the progress of your application , you will finally give up hope and decide that the application process is just a cruel trick schemed up by the govt to mess with hunters and that you will never own a gun , and you don't know how anyone else has aquired one legally . Thats when you're PAL arrives .
You will promptly call in sick to work , drive to the nearest gun store , and buy the first gun the sales person shows you that even remotely fits your needs {that how I bought my 870 } . Good luck and have fun .