PDA

View Full Version : headed to graham river /halfway river

lightmag
09-28-2011, 01:11 AM
So it looks like me and two buddies are leaving Saturday for a 8 day hunt up where the halfway river and graham rivers meet , mostly hunting 7-43a, moose , elk and maybe a deer . We also have access to 80 acres of private land plus crown . None of us have ever been in the area so any points or info would be great , heard I might be able to find a spot to hike up for a goat too? And insight would be appreciated. Thanks

moosinaround
09-28-2011, 06:25 AM
Have fun up there Lightmag!! It is pretty wonderful country!! Take lots of pictures! Good hunting, Moosin

elkdom
09-28-2011, 07:47 AM
be sure and get lots of pics of all the O&GAS Drilling Rigs and Pipeline equipment, try not get run over by a 100 Ton deck truck on a hairpin curve, be sure and get pics of the big IR ,,,,, have fun, be safe!:)

ps; if you do happen see a fresh road killed moose, on the Alaska Hwy ? ,,,,,,,,do NOT stop and take pictures,,, someone will report you for poaching !

Gunner
09-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Crying Girl Prairie is a nice place to camp,shot a good moose in that way a few years back.The road going north on the far side of the Halfway ends at the Chowade,if the river is low enough(unlikely!) you can cross on a quad.When I was in there there were more Gbears than moose! Good luck,Gunner

brutus
09-28-2011, 10:54 AM
halfway nation hunting territorie on both sides(chowade,graham)

Darksith
09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
the bridge over the chowade is washed out, and although the backroads book says the road links up with another it does not. Was at crying girl early sept, the locals figured they shot about 15 bulls out of the area in the first week, so I didn't even see a moose with horns. That being said if you have a quad, and a means to cross the graham river, there are some nice swamps across the river from the burn along the christina falls trail. The river is only about 3' deep, and you can glass the other side from a ridge in the burn. The elk weren't in the area yet as it was too warm in early sept, but it might be better now. Good luck.

pappy
09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
An immy moose, a couple cow elk and one bull have come out of that area in mid sept. Thats what I have seen so far when I was in there, nothing for me yet. I have heard of a couple of grizzlies in the area but have only seen tracks. Sometimes there are lots of people hunting and theres always lots of traffic. I shot a 5x6 moose with the camera after calling it in last sunday.

shawnwells
09-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Good luck mang....I squared off with a big ol bull the other night...but couldnt tell if he was G-damn 3 brow tine......not for a lack of staring....10 minutes earlier and the lighting would have been enough....I swear...

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
09-29-2011, 06:47 PM
will be working there on monday or tuesday and will be camping up there too

jubejube32
09-29-2011, 07:52 PM
all i can say issssssssssssss good luck pm if you like was there in aug have some good local news from people around there