PDA

View Full Version : West of pink mountain

Truecraft
09-27-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm heading up to pink mt on Friday.
Imagining is not very detailed in google earth, from what i can discern it looks like nice hunting country west of the town site towards the mountains. I have friends hunting just east of the highway and i'm torn were I should focus my efforts. I have never hunted the area and I'm look to you for as much information you are willing to share with me.
7:43 Is open for elk but I need to know areas and road access. Are the locals helpful or are they frustrated by hunters? Camping spot? What condition are the roads like? Is it best to hunt the along the rivers? Or mountain areas? Are the population of moose, elk and whitetail abundant?
Sorry for all the questions but if your like me you appreciate wisdom and thankful for all the insight mentors provide.
Have a great year hunting and thank you in advance for you time.

Jason

Steeleco
09-27-2011, 11:58 PM
When i hunted Trimble lake some 10 years ago, the place was full of Boo, Elk and tons of whitetails. We were hunting moose in Aug and did well on them too. Trouble is unless your flying it's a LONG way in.

Darksith
09-28-2011, 12:31 AM
lots of places to go, but not as much access in others. I was in there in the beginning of sept, and found it to be a tough area to hunt for the first time, but then again having 2 older guys with no quad experience didn't lend itself to us getting into interesting places. We struck out so I can't help ya.

greenhorn
09-28-2011, 08:02 AM
I was up there with two other guys in late August, near the Sikanni river. We concentrated on the west side of the highway and saw a decent number of animals. It was my first trip up there so I'm no expert, but the west side of the highway seemed to call out to us more than the east.

rec
09-28-2011, 08:08 AM
Hunted up the Halfway River some 10 yrs ago with horses great area very muddy when we were there ,quads can get in too legal bulls were hard to fine ,go west from Pink pass the private property and head in .

elkdom
09-28-2011, 08:28 AM
the Pink Mountain Campsite/General Store/Gas Bar/Liquor Vendor/Meat Cooler/Post Office/Hotel???
well?,,,that IS the TOWN SITE! lol

as for the locals ?,,and their perception of "hunters" ??, they are happy to take your money at incredibly INFLATED prices,, and that is about where their tolerance and respect for transient hunters STOPS!

and planning where to hunt by glimpsing at a Google Map?

good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

pete_k
09-28-2011, 09:00 AM
let us know what you decide and how you make out. You should do fine if you have enough time.

brutus
09-28-2011, 11:15 AM
bring chains, if it rains you go nowhere whithout them,even whith a quad it is lots of fun

Tenaka
09-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I spent 10 years in the area working and hunting. Go up to a place called Minacker. It is close to a place called prophet River. Hunt the river bed and oxbows off the river. Elk are heavy but ghost like! A quad is key as there are cut lines everywhere. Take chains! and a good winch for the quad. Easy area to get lost as well.

pappy
09-29-2011, 12:28 PM
I got a grizzly tag a couple of years ago and hunted the minaker area, theres an outfitter down that way. I never ran into them. I seen elk there in the spring time, lots of wolf tracks and its definatly a bushy area. I walked alot as there is a lot of mud when its wet and I didn't want to have my truck stuck. I would like to get back there soon.

.330 Dakota
09-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Anybody know if you can drive to Redfern Lake, and what that area is like?

Stone C. Killer
09-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Made it into Red Fern last August. First time. Pretty brutal... Lucky to get out in one peice with a moose. Would be much better with 2 quads as there are many mud bogs.

rec
09-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Your only allowed quads or horses on the Red Fern trail I think 1000 lb max

.330 Dakota
09-29-2011, 08:06 PM
Your only allowed quads or horses on the Red Fern trail I think 1000 lb max

Really? Cause if you hit Google Earth there is a pic there of a guy at the lake and in the background it looks like a Jeep Liberty on the beach, check it out. That was kind of a dumb move to post the pic if its not legal to be there.

elkdom
09-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Really? Cause if you hit Google Earth there is a pic there of a guy at the lake and in the background it looks like a Jeep Liberty on the beach, check it out. That was kind of a dumb move to post the pic if its not legal to be there.

yes, a motorized vehicle use restricted area, designated trails, Muskwa-Kechika Access Management Zone

.330 Dakota
09-29-2011, 08:21 PM
yes, a motorized vehicle use restricted area, designated trails, Muskwa-Kechika Access Management Zone

Thanks for the heads up guys, I saw the pic and thought hey..you can drive there..guess not hhmmm