PDA

View Full Version : My first Mulie of 2011

Slinky Pickle
09-27-2011, 03:05 PM
I managed to take this guy last Saturday. Although I would love to give you this long story about waiting, watching and stalking, the reality is that my buddy and I sat in a cut block for 3 hours waiting for a couple of other bucks that we have been watching all year, to show up and they never did. We poked around a few other spots and then finally decided to head home. At the last cut block my buddy says "I'll walk down through, you drive around and pick me up at the bottom." So I buggered around for a while giving him time to make is way down and then slowly drove around to pick him up. Doh!!!! there's a nice buck standing just up in the cut block staring at me.

I jump out of the of the truck but since I'm not sure where my buddy is, I have to reposition myself so there is nothing but dirt bank behind the buck so I know where my bullet will end up. Bang!!! 49 grains of Varget push the 168 grain Hornady SST out the end of my 30-06 and into his mid section. Now it gets interesting. I just want to go on record as saying that the human mind can be a sick and demented thing!!!

The buck disappears into a bit of thick stuff and then I hear what I believe is the sound of him piling up in a bit of a low spot. Moments later a doe calmly walks out and crosses the road in front of me. I give the big boy a little time to expire and while I'm waiting, the doe comes back across the road again. A minute or so later I can see her with two bucks part way up the cut block. The three of them are just standing there like nothing has happened. At this point my buddy and I finally get in contact and he says "I see a 3 x 2 and a spiker with the doe." Hmmm... mine had was a good 4 on the side I saw but at that very moment I started to second guess myself.

After a few minutes, the 3 deer wander down across the road and leave. I headed in to where the buck had been standing when I pulled the trigger and there is no blood, no hair, no nothing... just tracks heading down towards the road. I follow them down and they disappear into the thick stuff that I had heard him go into. There is nothing in there though... now deer, no blood.... no nuthin'. By this time I'm really starting to think I screwed up the count and somehow ended up missing (or worse, nicking) the 3 point that we had seen. So, I went down to the road where the 3 had crossed and looked for blood.... there was none. Ok, back up to where he started from... let's try this again. Down the hill, into the thick stuff and then nothing.... hmmmm.

My buddy finally picks up a single drop of what is either blood or possibly beery juice on a log and heads off in that direction which is predominantly up hill. I continue to look under logs and bushes thinking he might have wedged himself under something before he died. After another 20 minutes of this, my buddy gives a shout from the other side of the cut block. What a wonderful sound that was!! The buck had gone down towards the road and then turned 180 and headed straight up hill for about 50 yards. That's not what I had expected at all. Thinking back later, the 3 deer that we saw milling about were standing right where he died. They must have stayed with him till he expired and then headed off.

So here's the thing. In a matter of 2 minutes I had gone from KNOWING that I had made a good clean shot on a tall 4 point (at least) to BELIEVING that I had gut shot a small 3 x 2 and that it had wondered off to die somewhere. In hind sight, there's no way I could have mistaken the rack on this guy to the one on the 3 point.... but the mind can play crazy games on you.

He doesn't look that big in the picture cuz I'm a pretty big guy myself but when we hung him at home, after field dressing, he was 197 lbs and when we took the head and hide off he was 156 lbs.

I'm very happy with my first Mulie of the year!!!

http://www.ospreydesign.ca/hunting/Success.jpg

Shooter
09-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Dandy buck. Well done

Weatherby Fan
09-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Good job on not giving up on your first thought,thats a nice looking deer,Congrats.
Thanks for the sharing the story and picture.
WF

fester
09-27-2011, 03:31 PM
nice buck, good work!!!

monasheemountainman
09-27-2011, 03:36 PM
looks pretty big to me! nice one!

islander7mm
09-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Nice Buck. A tall 5x4.
Shoot em if you see em I say.

pg83
09-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Nice looking buck you got yourself there. Thanks for the story and picture. His right front looks thick, I'd love to see it on another angle.

Ruger4
Congrats on real nice buck !!

How's that 22-250 workin for you ?

.....and let me know when your new calenders are out !! ;-)

johnny cabbage
thats pretty neat!

yota
09-27-2011, 03:51 PM
fantastic buck and good on ya for not giving up on the search.

.300 R.U.M. Grizzly
09-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Nice buck! Congrats.

Glassman
09-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Similar thing happened to me and yes the mind can make you second guess yourself. I hate it when that happens.
Congrats on a nice buck. A keeper forsure.

308Lover
09-27-2011, 04:24 PM
So much for blood trails. Except in the snow--which is tooooo easy, I've had to just keep on lookin a time or two--just like you were smart enough to do. And a great buck is your reward! Well done all around. But hey--how fast was that bullet travelling? You forgot that part.

Cyrus
09-27-2011, 05:46 PM
nice buck congrats!

nano
09-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Nice buck, congrats man!

PeachlandHunter
09-27-2011, 05:57 PM
good thing you didnt give up lookin haha nice buck man

Brian011
09-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Nice buck!

tundra
09-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Nice buck, Thanks for the story I have been hunting vicariously through this site because I had a massive heart attack and I am not allowed to hunt this year. I look forward to more Thanks again

beni
09-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Nice buck!

I can't wait to get my first buck of the year!!

Slinky Pickle
09-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Congrats on real nice buck !!

How's that 22-250 workin for you ?

.....and let me know when your new calenders are out !! ;-)

Hey there Ruger4! The 22-250 has put quite a few holes in paper so far but as far as actual varmints.... it's still virginal... at least in my hands. I love it, I just have to find more time to spend with it.

I'm having a hell of a time finding calendar pictures this year. It seems each year is the same.... nothing for 8 months and then I scramble during hunting season to get a few keepers. I'll be sure and let you know when the 2012 batch is ready!

LeverActionJunkie
09-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Nice buck Slinky! Thanks for sharing with us.

Slinky Pickle
09-27-2011, 06:51 PM
So much for blood trails. Except in the snow--which is tooooo easy, I've had to just keep on lookin a time or two--just like you were smart enough to do. And a great buck is your reward! Well done all around. But hey--how fast was that bullet travelling? You forgot that part.

I was quite surprised at the lack of blood. My shot was a little off but it was a full pass through that took out one lung and the liver. I thought that would have left a fairly decent blood trail but there was nothing that I could find.

As for muzzle velocity, I've never measured it. I just know that the combination I noted is music to my rifle's ears.

d6dan
09-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Nice Mulie SP!.:-D

ratherbefishin
09-27-2011, 07:01 PM
excellent buck! its tough when you are SURE you made a good shot...but....no deer, no blood,and no sign...how far did he go in total? I'm surprised a hard hit deer went uphill-shows you can't guess

sapper
09-27-2011, 07:13 PM
excellent buck! its tough when you are SURE you made a good shot...but....no deer, no blood,and no sign...how far did he go in total? I'm surprised a hard hit deer went uphill-shows you can't guess
First of all, congrats. That's a good sized buck.
So much, as D6Dan said though, you can't guess. I've always been told the deer will follow the easiest route or familiar trail, etc. Except when they don't. :)

dana
09-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Nice looking buck. Congrats to ya!

Did you ever see that buck in your avatar again?

Slinky Pickle
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
First of all, congrats. That's a good sized buck.
So much, as D6Dan said though, you can't guess. I've always been told the deer will follow the easiest route or familiar trail, etc. Except when they don't. :)

He went up hill about 80 yards before he died. I think the reason he went up there was because if he had gone down hill, he would have had to go out onto the open road. If the road had not been there I think he would have kept going down.

Nice looking buck. Congrats to ya!

Did you ever see that buck in your avatar again?

That was the buck we were looking for all morning. I have seen him 4 times in total but Saturday was the first time he didn't show. We're hoping for better luck next time we go up and look for him. I'll keep you posted :)

patdel
09-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Nice looking buck indeed! The mind game sure can drive you bonkers when you are so sure of your shot and minutes later you can be stressed to the bone. Makes you laugh after wondering how you could have second guessed yourself. Good on ya for stickin to it to find him.

bosca
09-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I know what you mean about the second guessing sometimes...Its as if it was too good to be true...'so maybe I missed something'.

Very nice buck! Good job!

kgs
09-27-2011, 10:23 PM
nice congrats

PointMan
09-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Nice job on the mulie, thanks again for the help earlier this year looking for that bear with me and KGB. Too bad it was never located.

4 point
09-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Good buck. Weird things can happen in the field. Spilt second decesions, terrain, weather, adrenaline, excitement...all adds up.

open-sights
09-28-2011, 11:00 AM
I think we have all been there, when the trail is not 100% obvious, the mind starts to make you think and second guess. I had a 70 yard no brainer shot on my mulie in early Sept, I thought I heard him drop shortly after my shot, waited 15 minutes into dark before looking for him and during the search there was very little blood to follow despite pushing the heart out through the front left side of the body cavity. What a relief once you find an animal. Great Buck, well done and good story too!

matt420
09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
nice lookin buck congrats

The Silent Stalker
09-29-2011, 12:17 AM
That's a nice buck, good effort pays off. Nice job.

3006pg
09-29-2011, 12:38 AM
wooo hot damn thats a nice buck

Gunner Staal
09-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Nice one Slink. Glad to see you get a Trophy. Always enjoy your posts on here. Good luck the rest of the season.

moose2
10-06-2011, 07:57 AM
great looking buck congratulations
Mike

meathunter
10-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Great looking buck! Good on ya for not giving up

BimmerBob
10-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Nice looking buck, way to stick with it and find him in confusing circumstance, lots would have lost him I am sure.