PDA

View Full Version : Delorme Inreach

wunderboy
09-27-2011, 12:55 PM
This is a pretty cool new toy. Its basically a spot messenger only better.
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=31805&section=10820

brad ferris
09-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Seems very cool. My first question though is. What is an android phone? Anyway glad to see some competition for spot messengers. It will only benefit us consumers.

500grhollowpoint
09-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Yea someone posted that on here a while ago on an android phone app thread but never found out how much or availability.

wunderboy
09-28-2011, 09:20 PM
an android phone is a like an iphone.

srupp
09-29-2011, 11:10 AM
hmmmm just a small word of caution....when being a early adopter...its usually not wise to be your only lifesaving tool...let someone else BETA test it for a year...hmmmm SPOT 1 VERSUS gen 2 SPOT..

this is STILL a un proven product IMO..

cheers
Steven

KB90
09-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Will be under the christmas tree :)

srupp
09-29-2011, 05:46 PM
KB90...gen 2 Spot is MUCH better IMO......informed oppinion.

I loaned Tim my own personal Gen 2 SPOT to go on his solo fly in moose trip... rather than have him use the Delorme unit......enough said

cheers
Steven

Slinky Pickle
09-29-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not sure that the Spot 2 can be MUCH better than a product that hasn't been released yet? I have a Spot Connect that I control with my Android and it works very well but I could sure see the advantage of 2 way text communication. Are you aware of any known hardware issues with the DeLorme unit?

wunderboy
09-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Considering Delorme teamed up with spot I would imagine they got a pretty good feel for how it works. They also made an inreach that works with same GPS unit the spot does.

And ANYONE using ANY gps/texting devise as their only survival tool is not wise. I really like the idea of my wife being able text me if there is an emergency.

BillBraskii
09-29-2011, 09:02 PM

I loaned Tim my own personal Gen 2 SPOT to go on his solo fly in moose trip... rather than have him use the Delorme unit......enough said

cheers
Steven

Enough said??
How is that enough said??

Do you have any experience with the Delorme unit??
or are you just spewing unbacked totally biased opinion??

Gateholio
09-29-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure that the Spot 2 can be MUCH better than a product that hasn't been released yet? I have a Spot Connect that I control with my Android and it works very well but I could sure see the advantage of 2 way text communication. Are you aware of any known hardware issues with the DeLorme unit?

Does the Android not do 2 way texting? I thought that it did? Or is that another version of Android/Spot?

KB90
09-29-2011, 10:13 PM
Slinky pickle is currently using a spot device with his android phone. The spot device allows custom messages but no 2 way communication. The inreach unit is separate from your android Phone or delhorme gps but unlike spot it is capable of 2 way texting. There are two seperate "in reach" units for whichever route you go (android phone or delhorme pn60w gps) Also if I remember correctly spot is globalstar? Which is thought to be inferior to iridium? This inreach device will use iridium.

Shooter
09-29-2011, 10:36 PM
yup looks pretty cool.

Slee
09-30-2011, 09:23 AM
This inreach looks cool, but man, its not cheap. the price of the unit and the monthly plan is way higher then the spot connect. I still love my gen 1 spot, but i am thinking of upgrading my gps next year, so I might look at the spot connect with the gps..

ryanb
09-30-2011, 09:49 AM

cheers
Steven

Much better? Informed opinion? Perhaps you can explain yourself. How do you figure something that works on the much more reliable Iridium network, gives you confirmation that a message has been received, is able to type customized messages and MOST IMPORTANTLY is able to RECEIVE RETURN MESSAGES inferior to SPOT?

Secondly, the inreach hasn't even been released yet, so how do you figure your friend Tim was going to use this on his moose trip? Unless you are referring to the current Delorme unit that uses the SPOT system to send customized messages which is completely different than the inreach being discussed in this thread.

FOR THE RECORD, the inreach operates on the duplex data Irdium satellite network, not the simplex Globalstar satellite network. As such it is completely unrelated to the SPOT system. Those that have experience texting using Iridium satellite phones, this is essentially the same thing except you are using the operating system on an Android phone or delorme GPS to compose the message. Even without the phone or gps, you can use the device standalone much like a SPOT only difference being you get confirmation your message has been sent.

I have no afilliation with Delorme, but it looks like a very promissing new piece of equipment.
Thanks for the useful input.

BillBraskii
09-30-2011, 03:46 PM

cheers
Steven

well??

Please tell us why??

Im curious about your informed "oppinion"

As the SPOT rep I figured you would have some good points to make as to why the SPOT is so much better....

Movingdirt
09-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Make your own decision based upon what is available. Ask the manufacturer/dealer for a free trial of the Delorme device.

wunderboy
10-01-2011, 05:32 PM
This inreach looks cool, but man, its not cheap. the price of the unit and the monthly plan is way higher then the spot connect. I still love my gen 1 spot, but i am thinking of upgrading my gps next year, so I might look at the spot connect with the gps..

It sure does carry a step price tag. I wouldn't really need to texting to have long conversations. Now if it had picture text so I could send out pic of animals and mrs could send pics of............

BillBraskii
10-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Cmon srupp,
enlighten us please......

I'm thinking of buying one of these two units and I'm waiting to hear your informed 'oppinion' before I make a purchase.

troutseeker
10-05-2011, 08:33 PM
I am personally waiting for the Outreach system which work on a triplex network. Not only can you send and receive messages, but you can also be beamed to a mountain top where the biggest sheep live!

Now if I only could figure out how to set my laser printer to stun...

Johnnybear
10-11-2011, 05:25 PM
That looks like some quality stuff right there. Thanks for posting it. I don't know much about Delorne products but I'll be researching them some more for sure. Their military version handheld gps looks nice.

srupp
10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
BillBraski..for you I

srupp
10-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Ryanb..yes actually I do have some reasons for my choice..and when I get unpacked and washed and process moose and deer etc would be more than happy to discuss the merrits of each system.....

However for Bill..gopher the Delorme...

cheers

Srupp

Slinky Pickle
10-11-2011, 06:38 PM
My post was the first to drag this thread a little sideways so before this turns into a srupp thumping thread I just want to say that of all the folks on HBC, srupp is definitely in my top two of guys I'd like to buy a beer for (and then sit and drink one or two with him). Personaly, I would like to hear any technical info he knows about either product because I like having the ability to conference with folks while I'm hunting. Having the ability to communicate in two directions though would be even better.

hellojello74
09-10-2012, 12:33 PM
SO who is actually using this, how is it working? Does anybody know of a place where you can rent one?

Thanks

yama49
09-10-2012, 07:43 PM
I own a spot, just bought the inreach for my iphone.. headed north at end of week will report back on it in 2 weeks..