PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat

Robfriend
09-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Ok so i've been hunting for around 17 years (i'm 29 now) and i've taken some nice animals (Deer and Moose). So this year I thought to start hunting different animals, this year I drew a mountain goat in 3-36 and parts of 3-37 and 3-42.

So i did my research (books, internet and even talked to a CO). So what the hell i'm i doing wrong. I've hunted this area in the passed trying to get into the areas for goat is hell, between getting my ATV stuck then while getting out my gun falls out of the holder and into the creek, completly under water, new zeiss scope all dented and scratched. Bushwacking in really thick stuff, climbing and falling over logs, hiking for 5 hours in this stuff trying to get through this stuff to get where the goats are and thats with a 4000 altitude change, very steep.

Now that im done venting has anybody hunted in this area before? (Tum Tum Lake) and Can anybody give me advice on hunting goats.

Rodd
09-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Keep doing what your doing... Sounds like a typical Goat hunt to me... Nothing easy about Goat Hunting! I like to spot them, before i hike the 4000ft.... Get a good spotting scope... Save you many footsteps! Good Luck! You'll get one.. :)

Robfriend
09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks I've been looking before going up but the CO told be that they are on the east facing slopes so thats the biggest problem trying to get there. The only way is to climb up and over. I have to laugh cause he said that a goat hasn't been taken out of this MU (that he can recall). I'll post so pics

09-27-2011, 11:12 AM
There is a reason goat hunting can be more dangerous then Grizz. It aint because the animal can kill you, it is because where they are can kill you!
Never done it myself and now you know why. Good news is when you succeed you will have earned every bit of it.

TSW
09-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Sounds like goat hunting to me...fun eh?!

Amphibious
09-27-2011, 12:44 PM
sounds like you're doing everything right. a goat hunt's success is all about the preparation. keep doing your homework, glass lots, spend lots of time on google earth, and count ounces in your pack.

Tenacious Billy
09-27-2011, 01:17 PM
That sounds like all the goat hunts I've been on too!!

There comes a point on every goat hunt (usually when you're pulling yourself up the mountain through buck-brush and Devil's club in the pouring rain) where you'll second guess your decision to leave the truck.....I think that's normal - just keep doing what you're doing and when you get to the top (or maybe before then) hopefully you connect with a nice billy! Good luck!

dana
09-27-2011, 04:48 PM
I can tell ya one thing about that unit, the goat hunting is better later in the season. The closer to the end (Oct 31) the better. They winter in the lower elevation cliffs in the timber. You get some nasty weather up top and those goats will eventually end up low. And yes, you can glass them from the valley bottom. Getting to the cliffs is still a challenge as it is thick country and the more noise you make in that thick $hit the more the goats have you pegged. They will just move higher into the thick crap above the cliffs. Slow and steady is the name of the game.

Robfriend
09-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Tenacious Billy thats exactly what goes through my head. Amphibious the count the ounces is so right i always think i need this and that and about 30 mins of hiking i wonder why my pack is so heavy. Dana thanks for the advice have you hunted in this area before?

dana
09-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Yup, I have had that draw a few times. :)

James52
09-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Welcome to goat hunting. have a lot of ....patience......a good pairs of boots...and someone who knows the area..good luck,.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
I did a region 3-wide goat harvest assessment for Doug Jury (region 3 wildlife bio) back in 2002 (You can hate me know, because I am the reason that they scaled the Annual Allowable Goat harvest from 5% to 2.5%). It was based on the Compulsory Inspection reports and the guide outfitter harvest reports for the 20 years before that. I think the biggest challenge you are facing with your draw is twofold: First, there is a general scarcity of goats in that zone; there are some, but populations are very small and good habitat is naturally (and and unnaturally) quite fragmented. Secondly, the access to the pockets of quality habitat is (or at least was then) almost non-existent.

The good news, is that you should have little competition from other authorization holders! That draw was notoriously undersubscribed to. What this means is that if you put in the time you could probably get that draw every year you put in for it (I have not looked at the odds lately). You will find that other zones with better access will get more attention, and not many serious goat hunters hunt the North Thompson/Perry zones because it does not put out tremendous quality goats. It is speculated that they winter quite hard there. Judging by the fact there are heli-ski tenures scattered throughout that area, I'd assume that's correct.

I took an 8.5" billy out of the Bone Creek drainage back in the mid 90s and at the CI the wildlife bios called it a very nice goat for that area. It was my first and only goat.

Sounds like Dana has some experience there and might be a valuable resource!