PDA

View Full Version : Prince george deer

Bucks&Ducks
09-26-2011, 07:07 PM
I have been going up to PG for the past 15 years for moose with my dad, and every year we have been seeing fewer and fewer deer around, the past few years we haven seen any, this year my son is tagging along and if we are successful in harvesting a moose early in the hunt we would like to try to get a deer for him. we live on the island so dont know any farmers or ranchers so that is not really an option and neither is scouting,

If youd be so kind as to point me in the right direction of areas to check out i would greatly appreciate it. Im not asking for direct waypoints to your honey hole just a small push in the right direction as the last few years we have been in the wrong area and have seen nothing in the way of deer, moose is a different story.

Thanks B&D

Ghillie
09-26-2011, 07:20 PM
Try the logging roads on the opposite side of the highway right near Dunkley lumber mill. You cant miss the mill, just look around that area for deer AND moose. Usually there are a few black bear and some deer, my dad and uncle used to go around that area for moose and deer and all. PM me if you want. There IS some restricted info on some spots Im willing to share around the Prince George / Quesnel area. (Mostly Quesnel as I lived there for 14 years)

birosj
09-26-2011, 07:35 PM
I was in past Dunkley mill, east of Ahbau lake and there was lots of cougar sign. We saw 1 cat just off the 2400 around 30 km mark. This was in the middle of August. Any sign of cougar means deer have moved into that area. Check it out.

Bucks&Ducks
09-26-2011, 07:40 PM
I was wondering about predators possibly having an effect on their numbers, where I usually go for moose used to be alright for deer but I have seen a lot of wolf sign around there in the past few years so they must have moved

Ghillie
09-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Thats another thing to add, Ahbu creek/lake area near Dunkley mill, good spots haha.

Bucks&Ducks
10-04-2011, 08:01 PM
If anyone has any more information i would be willing to make an info trade for areas on the island

muleychaser
10-04-2011, 08:51 PM
The winter kill up here has had a huge effect on the deer numbers. Last year we had five feet of snow after it settled down. The deer are still around but just a little harder to find. Whereabouts are you going to be hunting moose at? Let me know and if I can help I will.