PDA

View Full Version : Two lane road... def'n?

UncleJesse
09-26-2011, 05:55 PM
So I saw a nice little 4pt whitetail the other day, didn't have my rifle but thinking of going back. He was eating on the side of a paved road. No centerline on the road. Legal to get out and shoot him from the road? Not a numbered highway. Just a named road. Forgive me, I'm sure this has been hashed over. My question is: Does there have to be a line on the road to make it a two lane road even if there's enough room for two vehicles and there's no line?

From the Regs:
HIGHWAY
NO SHOOTING AREAS
4It is unlawful to discharge a firearm across
or to discharge a firearm or hunt within the
road allowances of all numbered highways
and any two lane or greater public road
in BC that is maintained by the Ministry of
Transportation (or their Contractors), the
federal government or another province or
territory. The road allowance extends:
(a) 15 metres on either side of the middle
of a road with less than three lanes, or
(b) 15 metres from the edge of the paved
surface of a highway with three lanes or more, or
(c) to the boundary of private or cultivated
land, whichever comes first.

Allen50
09-26-2011, 06:05 PM
when you can not figger things out in the game book, call the co in your area and ask them, for the real answer,,

Phil A. Bowl
09-26-2011, 06:52 PM
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

MuleyMadness
09-26-2011, 07:12 PM
If you read the reg that you bolded, you will see there is no mention anywhere there of a center LINE...it just says the center of the road. A line doesn't make a center of the road...the measurements from the edge of the asphalt is how you determine center.

All 2 lane roads that are maintained by the MOT (or their respective contractors) are no shooting areas, to a minimum of 15m from the center of the road...you don't need a line to make it a two lane road. Plenty of country roads out there that are maintained and are gravel, ergo no line in the middle...it's a safety thing.

Ghillie
09-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Check the MU maps for that area and if you are in city limits or not, and know your city bylaw about discharging firearms in city limits.

landphil
09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
It's fairly safe to assume if it's maintained by M.O.T.H. contractors that it's considered a two lane road, now matter how narrow, lack of lines, etc.

stinkyduck
09-26-2011, 08:23 PM
driving home from red lake one day, C.O. stopped me to check me out. Somebody shot a deer off the public gravel road maintained by the ministery, private both sides. He just said the road is maintained by the ministry, no shooting here. So my advice would be step off the road a few paces if not private property next door.

Jelvis
09-26-2011, 08:29 PM
A two lane roadway is one that is wide enough for two weehicles to drive on at the same time and passing each other without scraping when passing.
Jel .. It's simple as dat .. can't shoot down or across a road .. :-D

Squamch
09-27-2011, 06:49 AM
A two lane roadway is one that is wide enough for two weehicles to drive on at the same time and passing each other without scraping when passing.
Jel .. It's simple as dat .. can't shoot down or across a road .. :-D

Nah, that can't be the case, loads of two way roads around here that are paved, maintained etc, that two Honda goldwings couldn't ride side by side on.

Darksith
09-27-2011, 10:56 AM
just get in the ditch, you'll be fine. The CO's love to setup decoys and bust peeps shooting or thinking of shooting from the road. Especially in the EK. If you walk into the ditch you might here a loud speaker telling you to move on, we're not looking for you ;)

cumminsforever
09-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Just get a bow n shoot it dad just called a CO on this exact thing last week a no shooting area in BC is only firearms restricted a bow or crossbow can be shot down or across a highway if I'm not mistaken I don't have plans to myself but I'm pretty sure you can with a bow.

anethema
09-30-2011, 07:39 AM
It is pretty clear. You have to be 50 feet from the center of any 2 lane road.

You have to be 50 feet from the EDGE of any road 3 lanes or more.

If it is a 1-lane road (not sure I've seen one? This is a bit unclear) you can in theory shoot from the road. As long as no part of you or your gun is touching your car.

Jelvis
09-30-2011, 08:15 AM
What about on an old paved road that has been rerouted and the old hwy is abandoned like at six mile hill by Savona. It's the old number 1 hwy and is grown over a bit now?

buck nash
09-30-2011, 10:30 AM
when you can not figger things out in the game book, call the co in your area and ask them, for the real answer,,

Then wait patiently for the six years or so that it will take for them to get back to you.:mrgreen:

Glassman
09-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Does that mean that I have to carry a tape measure in the truck now? Just in case I see a deer in a cut block I want to make sure I am the correct amount of distance from the center of the road. One person can count points on the deer while the other person quickly uses the tape measure on the road.

anethema
09-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Not sure about here, but I've seen COs in sask get out a 50ft rope and measure. I would say use your judgement and make sure you're MORE than 50 feet away.

Jelvis
09-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Know your role, find out the regulation restriction for discharging a firearm during an open hunting season on the road your using.
In some park area they have different rules in GOS and another when season is closed.
Jello .. Legal distance from the center or the side of a road and times of year ..

finngun
09-30-2011, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=anethema;987358]It is pretty clear. You have to be 50 feet from the center of any 2 lane road.

You have to be 50 feet from the EDGE of any road 3 lanes or more.

If it is a 1-lane road (not sure I've seen one? This is a bit unclear) you can in theory shoot from the road. As long as no part of you or your gun is touching your car.

and sometime ago it was said here it is legal to shoot... to rest you gun top of car hood.... to be or not to be??

Jelvis
09-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Step away from the vehicle! DO NOT Shoot across a road or down it ..
Shoot away from the edge of the road if allowed to shoot from that road.
....Shoot only when safe to do so .................................................. ........POW!
Jel.. SHOCK EYED

Trapper D
09-30-2011, 07:08 PM
good one jelly

anethema
09-30-2011, 08:53 PM
and sometime ago it was said here it is legal to shoot... to rest you gun top of car hood.... to be or not to be??

It is unlawful to... discharge, carry or have in possession
a firearm containing live ammunition in
its breech or in its magazine attached to
the firearm, in or on a railway car, motor
vehicle, sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other
conveyance.

I would guess not, since you could simplify that as you cannot have a live gun in or on a motor vehicle.

Who knows though!