PDA

View Full Version : Area 3-39 - Little Fort

sdurango41
09-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Heading out to area 3-39 this week for 8 or 9 days. Has anyone been up that way as of yet? It has been pretty warm as we all know. Does anyone believe the moose rut has started or do we need a good cold night or two to get them into it? Wondering if there is much in the way of whitetail in that area?
Can't wait to get out of the office and walking in the woods. A campfire, meat on rack and a few wobbly pops won't be bad as well.

odie1830
09-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Did you get a moose draw?

Glassman
09-26-2011, 06:27 PM
I have never seen a W/T there, but I have seen a few moose and plenty of Mulies. Nice area. good luck and let us know how you do.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-26-2011, 08:29 PM
The only whities I've ever seen or heard of are right in the main North Thompson valley bottom itself. Anything too much higher than the yellowhead and you're in mule country. Sh*t does happen and there are no whitetail fences up there, so you can never be sure but I'd say it's a LONG shot if you're headed up the plateau at all. It seems like the weather we have been having lately, be it hot or cold, wet or dry, has been the same regionally with very little localized weather events. I'd say the rut would be the same everywhere in southern BC.

The North Thompson just rose sharply and silted like crap, so it was obviously very wet in the drainages north of Kamloops.

LYKTOHUNT
09-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Moose have just started talking, at least they are a little farther north than little fort

sdurango41
09-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info guys.We have always had great success during the first week of October calling moose in. I hope things don't change this year. It is usually cooler though. Hopefully we will run into a rogue whitey but any nice mulie works for me.
I hope to have lots of picks upon our return!!

Kapow
09-27-2011, 10:54 AM
A buddy got a Whitey high up in that region last year. Nowhere near a farm.

lovemywinchester
09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I was hiking up in the NT valley last evening and it was a degree or two away from snowing. I was about 4000 ft up so don`t kid yourself, its cold at nights. I had hood up and gloves on and was still chilly. It has been cool in the Loops the last few days as well.

SUAFOYT
09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
The TFL is loaded with work trucks so be real careful if you're there. The loaded ones can't move out of your way so be advised. A radio is a real good idea.

Wagonmaster
09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I have a hand held VHF. What channel should it be on? How you going to let them know you are there if you don't know where they are?

SUAFOYT
09-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Canyon Creek channel- the frequency is posted. Listen to where the loaded trucks are and duck out of the way when appropriate. Call your self at least once when you start up or down.

bigshooter
09-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I see whitetails each year I make that trip, always in new places, high or low. Get a tag for sure.

dana
09-27-2011, 05:22 PM
There a few pockets of whitetails in the TFL. Definately have a tag because they are there and I always like to encourage anyone to kill those rats if they can. As for moose, I have heard that some are wallowing a bit and starting to get the urge. I'm sure with the cooler nights, they will be going full tilt by the weekend. As SUAFOYT stated, super busy in the TFL with logging traffic. The mill just reopened after a long shut down and they are now pounding out the loads. Be careful and call your kms. Keeps everyone safe that way. Keep off the active roads as much as possible. Plenty of roads in the TFL that aren't all that active and that is where you will find the moose anyways.

Wagonmaster
09-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the info guys. What roads are they hauling on? Is Canyon Creek the name of a main and where is it? Where is the mill located? Are we talking 3-39 south of Taweel Lake or up north of the Camp 2 Road?

SUAFOYT
09-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys. What roads are they hauling on? Is Canyon Creek the name of a main and where is it? Where is the mill located? Are we talking 3-39 south of Taweel Lake or up north of the Camp 2 Road?

They're hauling off of 20, 6, 10, 3A and of course Road 2 which is the main. The start of road 2 from the Clearwater end is 0 km. Canyon Creek is just the radio channel name. Apart from the draw holders you'll get day traffic from the other end of road 2 from those in 5-1 looking for a spike. They come in from Forest Grove and Canim way. You can access Road 2 from Hwy 24 as well. There's roads interconnecting everywhere there. Good luck.

Wagonmaster
09-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Went on IMap bc and found the TFL in question is TFL18 and comprises a large part of 3-39 north of Taweel Park. The names of the mains they are hauling on would be great. Thanks.

SUAFOYT
09-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Went on IMap bc and found the TFL in question is TFL18 and comprises a large part of 3-39 north of Taweel Park. The names of the mains they are hauling on would be great. Thanks.

The roads don't have specific names, only numbers. The only way I can help is Road 2, look for Coldscaur Lk. Road 2 goes right by it and it is the main. Road 20 goes to Italia and Ejas lakes and hooks up to 6 which goes by Johnson (Bob) and goes by Moira Lk. All the roads are marked with signs although on some cases not real well. If you're on a road that has a yellow sign with black lettering, it's old- like me. All the others are black on orange.

dana
09-27-2011, 06:41 PM
The numbers that SUAFOYT just said are indeed the road names. If you want to avoid alot of the active roads, stay on the west side of the TFL. Road 7 is the main road on that side.

SUAFOYT
09-27-2011, 07:14 PM
The numbers that SUAFOYT just said are indeed the road names. If you want to avoid alot of the active roads, stay on the west side of the TFL. Road 7 is the main road on that side.

Geez dude I was trying to keep him off that one.

dana
09-27-2011, 07:18 PM
LOL! The Treefarm is big. I'm sure you've got some hidey holes in there that you will have all to yourself. ;) I've been up the TFL most of the summer cruising the blocks they are currently logging. If it were me with that LEH, I'd have a radio and be hunting the East side. :)

Phreddy
09-27-2011, 09:57 PM
I've found that the truckers appreciate it if you keep your transmissions to a minimum, and avoid a lot of chatter. They're generally really good about keeping an eye out for you. If you pull off the main road, they appreciate you letting them know what the closest km mark is to your exit so they can relax a bit. These guys are under a lot of pressure so keep them posted on your status.

sdurango41
09-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all of the info guys. We will be farther south to start out anyways. We will no doubt spending some time scouting out some of the other areas in 3-39. ie Taweel. That is unless we happen to stumble onto a honey hole that has big mulies, whitetails and moose. LOL
All I can say is I cannot wait to turn this computer off at 5 pm and hit the road!!!