PDA

View Full Version : Using a Stainless water bottle to boil water?

Mark_S
09-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I hate packing anything more than I need to when I pack in someplace. So I figured I would cut out the pots and pans and get a stainless water bottle to boil the water for my dehydrated dinners. When I was at the store looking to buy a Stainless bottle and I told them what I was going to use it for they had a look of shock that I would even consider boiling water in a Stainless steel water bottle and that it would somehow wreck the bottle.

Am I out to lunch on the idea of boiling water in a stainless steel water bottle? I realize some manufactures might use an epoxy coating on the inside of the bottle but I was just looking for a screw cap, unlined bottle.

What do you guys do? Toughen up and pack the pots and pans and a separate water bottle?

Weatherby Fan
09-26-2011, 01:58 PM
I just pack the one canister that fits on my jetboil stove and use it for everything-simple and lite !

landphil
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
The only concern I'd have with an unlined SS bottle is if the base is large enoungh to be stable on your stove, and to heat the water efficiently. If the base isn't big enough you'll end up burning more fuel to get the job done (so packing more weight anyway). This assumes you're planning to use it on a stove, rather than a fire. Oh, and no convenient handle when it's hot, but that can be worked around.

And don't worry, great ideas shock the clueless all the time.

Mark_S
09-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys.

I actually just picked up a Jetboil so I will probably go that route. I have also been doing a little research and a few of the bottles out there are totally acceptable for boiling water in. Klean Kanteen lists it as one of the features in the FAQ's. I think Nalgeen makes one that is suitable too.

Gun Dog
09-26-2011, 04:46 PM
I just bring my camper.:mrgreen: There's nothing wrong with using a stainless bottle but fabbing up a little wind screen to guide the hot gasses up the bottle will save a lot of fuel. With my old kit the stove, wind screen and handle fit into the pot. Still bulky but not bad. I'd try the bottle trick in the back yard and see how much cursing there is when handling a hot bottle.

pappy
09-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I've hunted with guys that just bring a pot with a folding handle, I use a backpacking kettle that works great for transfering the heat. I think I'll go with the pot when I need to replace the kettle. I have heated up cans of soup and chili with my pocket stove and haven't had to burn alot of fuel, so the water bottle should work o.k. As long as there is some kind of lid to make it heat faster.

troutseeker
09-26-2011, 06:05 PM
I have a small pot which holds my stove and a fuel cannister. That being said, I use a steel bottle and have used it to boil water in before, it worked just fine.

stoneguide
09-26-2011, 06:16 PM
I wouldnt go any route other than a Jet Boil after using one. Works great for boiling water for meals and then with the lid on it works awesome for your hot drinks just as a travel mug does. And it is really easy on fuel.
SG

bad dog
09-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Smale peice of hay wire around the neck , fixs the handle pro., and works good ,, hold it with a stick , over the fire , or lift off the burner ,,, worked fine for me all winter long on the trap line !!

buck nash
09-26-2011, 08:32 PM
I have tried it with my pocket rocket and over an open fire and it works just fine. It sits nicely on the pocket rocket and I just turn the flame down a bit so that the heat is not lost. I was a bit paranoid about it having some sort of coating but after researching it,I was able to find several brands that are marketed for this purpose. The water bottle that goes out in my day pack is stainless. I figure if I get lost in the woods I'll still have a means of boiling water. I just use my sleeve to protect my hand when I pick it up. I've never measured how many bottles of water I can boil out of a fuel canister then compared it to how many pots so landphil's point about decreased fuel efficiency canceling out the benifits could be (likely is) valid, especially on a longer trip.