PDA

View Full Version : What is a Willow grouse ??

new trigger
09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Only 2 years into the sport, and I did pass my CORE, but I don't remember hearing of Willow grouse. Thanks

NorthShoreX
09-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Apparently it's the state bird of Alaska. It's also called the Willow Ptarmigan.

akyne
09-26-2011, 11:52 AM
It's a type of ptarmigan, but typically found below the treeline, and occasionally in frying pans...

09-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Willow grouse= Ruffed Grouse.
Blue grouse= Sooty
Franklin= spruce= fool hen

Multiple names to screw you up.
But Ruffed,Blue and Franklin are the more common names.

Id like to see where this ptarmigan thing is comming from.

NorthShoreX
09-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Alaska State Bird - Willow Ptarmigan - Lagopus Lagopus (http://www.50states.com/bird/wigrouse.htm)

www.50states.com/bird/wi (http://www.50states.com/bird/wi)grouse.htm
Willow Ptarmigan, Text by John James Audubon from Birds of America.

willow grouse - WordReference.com Dictionary of English (http://www.wordreference.com/definition/willow%20grouse)

www.wordreference.com/definition/willow%20grouse
willow grouse - WordReference English dictionary, questions, discussion and forums. All Free.

Willow Ptarmigan, Life History, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of ... (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Willow_Ptarmigan/lifehistory)

www.allaboutbirds.org/.../Willow_Ptarmigan/lifehistory - United States
Learn how to identify Willow Ptarmigan, its life history, cool facts, sounds and calls, and watch videos. A typical bird of the arctic tundra, the Willow Ptarmigan is ...

09-26-2011, 01:32 PM
You got the wrong bird.
The term Willow as used here is in referance to the Ruffed grouse. not ptarmigan. Wont find it in the english dictionary.

Didnt know our ptarmigan were "Willow Ptarmigan" Though.
But what the OP was asking is what is a "Willow" Grouse. It is a "Slang" term refering to a Ruffed Grouse. Has nothing to do with a Ptarmigan.

and google wont show it

NorthShoreX
09-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Blue grouse= Sooty

Id like to see where this ptarmigan thing is coming from.

From what I have read the Ruffed (Bonasa umbellus) and the Willow (Lagopus lagopus) are two separate species. Also the Willow is a Ptarmigan, not a Grouse.

The two sub-species of Blues are Sooty and Dusky.

The two sub-species of Spruce are Franklin and Hudsonian.

There are 3 species of Ptarmigan in BC......Willow, Rock, and Whitetailed.

The CORE book makes no mention of a "Willow Grouse".

09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
You are right. BUT!
you are diggint too deep.

in referance to the question the op asked What is a willow grouse? It is another "Un official" name for Ruffed Grouse.

This is going to sound bad but,,,,,, i mean it as well as i can,,,, I dont care how many latin terms and stuff you post, or links. A willow grouse is a "Slang term" For ruffed grouse. Sorry insert smile imoto con here :)

NorthShoreX
09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I guess it's like the Crescent wrench (trade name), it's actually an adjustable wrench made by the Crescent Tool Company. Channel lock pliers (trade name) are Arc Joint Pliers made by Channel Lock Company. :smile:

09-26-2011, 01:55 PM
I guess it's like the Crescent wrench (trade name), it's actually an adjustable wrench made by the Crescent Tool Company. Channel lock pliers (trade name) are Arc Joint Pliers made by Channel Lock Company. :smile:

You have hit the nail on the head with perfect analogy!

I am glad you got it because i couldnt prove you wrong! because you were right. But in this case it is pure Slang.

NorthShoreX
09-26-2011, 01:57 PM
This was fun. Lol.

09-26-2011, 01:58 PM
No kidding.

Foxton Gundogs
09-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Blue grouse= Sooty

Id like to see where this ptarmigan thing is comming from.

OK here we go with more mud for the water. When I was up north Ptarmigan were waht the locals called Willow Ptarmigan. Rockies or Rock Grouse was the local name for Rock Ptarmigan. Willow Grouse were indeed Ruffies Spruce Grouse were Franklins EVERYTHING was a CHICKEN.
I googled Willow Grouse and it says it is another name for the Willow Ptarmigan in Wicapedia so we got it straight NOW LOL

NorthShoreX
09-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Willow Ptarmigan

http://lcvirtualwildlife.ca/images/stories/animal_jpg/willow-ptarmigan.jpg

Common Name: Willow Ptarmigan
Also referred to as: Alaska Ptarmigan, Arctic Grouse, Red Grouse, Willow Grouse, Willow Partridge
Genus species: Lagopus lagopus
Recognized subspecies: L. l. albus (Gmelin), L. l. alascensis, L. l. ungavus, L. l. leucopterus, L. l.alleni, L. l. muriei
Family: Phasianidae
Order: Galliformes

General Description:

Total length: Adults, 356-432 mm
Wing chord length: Adult male, 182-216mm; adult female, 168-214 mm
Tail: Adult male, 108-35 mm; adult female, 94-139 mm
Weight: 430-810 g, depending on time of year.
The largest of North America’s three species of Ptarmigan.
Feet are feathered to the tips of their toes in the winter and to the base of their toes in summer.
The plumage of both sexes blends with the dominant colours of the surroundings and varies throughout the year.
Basic winter plumage for adults is almost completely white (except for black rectrices, which are often concealed by the long coverts).
Males have red eye combs (most visible in spring) and during spring and summer, the head, neck, and upper breast are rusty hazel to chestnut, and feathers at the base of the bill and chin are whitish. Rump, back, scapulars, and upper tail are mixed blacks, browns, and white. Wings are white.
Female summer plumage includes upper parts patterned with white, buffs, and blacks. Under parts are barred with black; wings are mostly white. Females have eye combs (not as large as those of males).

North American Distribution:

Breeding range of this Ptarmigan includes the arctic tundra, alpine mountain ranges, and in tundra-like areas of the boreal forest. Breeding range extends through much of Alaska, east through Banks Island, southern Melville and southern Bathurst Island, southern Baffin Island, Prince of Wales Island, southeast Aleutian Island, northern and central British Columbia, northeast Manitoba, northern Ontario, northern and central Quebec, Labrador, and Newfoundland.
Winter range extends south to central Alberta and Saskatchewan, southern Manitoba, central Ontario, and southern Quebec.
Breeding range in Alberta is the northern part of Jasper National Park, extending south to Tonquin Valley (may extend north to the Kakwa area, southwest of Grande Prairie).

Habitat Description:

Winter habitat consists of clumps of willow (Salix spp.) along streams, fringe areas of burns, muskegs, and river/lake margins. Often prefers greater vegetative cover, which provides increased thermal benefits and reduces snow hardening (facilitates digging snow burrows).
Breeding range is primarily located in subarctic or subalpine areas. Attributes of these areas may be dense patches of shrub (willow and birch [Betula spp.]), open tundra, forests edges, and marsh areas. Males often establish territories in shrubby, more open vegetation.
Nesting and brooding habitat often includes areas with low vegetation and patches of shrubs for escape cover and riparian areas along marshes and streams.

Movements and Migratory Habits:

Migration between summer and winter ranges occurs in many populations. Distance of migrations can range from 20 to 800 km.
Migration to wintering range may begin from late September to mid December, with movements back to the breeding range occurring from mid January to late April.
Wintering ground is often at lower latitudes than breeding and summer range.
Flock formation occurs in the winter.
Snow-roosting will often begin in the fall when sufficient snowpack is available. This behaviour will continue well into early spring.
This ptarmigan is diurnal (often most active in the morning and at dusk) and commonly roosts through the night.

Diet and Foraging Strategy:

Winter diet may include buds, twigs, and catkins of willow, birch, blueberry and bog cranberry (Vaccinium spp.).
Winter foraging often occurs in short bouts of synchronous feeding at first light and at dark.
Summer diet may include leaves, buds, berries, twigs, seeds, and catkins. Plants utilized for forage may be willow, birch, crowberry (Empetrum spp.), horsetails (Equisetum spp.), and blueberry and bog cranberry.
Chicks may feed on sedge and rush seed heads, willow leaves, hair moss (Distichium spp.), and insects.

Reproduction:

Males often arrive on territories from mid March to early May, and females arrive about two weeks after (pairs form at this time). Variations in time of pairing may be related to temperature and snow cover.
Male courtship displays includes tail- fanning (fully spread tail often flicking the tail rapidly), may lower wings with primaries scraping along the ground at the same time, the male may move in slight curves in front of the female (U-walk) and/or circle the female closely (waltzing). Another display is “rapid-stamping,” in which the male runs (short, rapid steps) toward the female with his head held low, beak open, tail slightly fanned, and his neck thickened and arched.
Willow Ptarmigan are usually monogamous.
Nests are scraped out bowls on the ground, usually with lateral and overhead cover from shrubs, grass, and/or forbs. Nests are often lined with grass, leaves, and feathers.
Diameter of the nest ranges from 15-20 cm and depth ranges from 8-16 cm.
Eggs are short and oval, with an average size being 43 x 31 mm.
Egg colour is often a cream background with dark brown blotches.
Female lays approximately 1.1 eggs/day, and clutch size can range from 7 to 10 eggs.
Incubation takes approximately 22 days.
Only the female incubates, but males usually remain with the female during the incubation period and assist in brood defence.
Female can renest if nest attempt fails.
Synchronous hatch; chicks are precocial and leave the nest 3-10 hours after hatch.
Periods of foraging and exploration are interrupted by periods of brooding to help chicks maintain normal body temperature.
Brood dispersal may occur from early September to October.

Conservation Status:

Federal: Not listed.
Provincial: Secure.

threedhunter
09-26-2011, 03:39 PM
If you get a "willow" grouse , you will notice it DOES NOT have a "cape" like a ruffy, same colors just no black cape around the neck area. They may actually be a female Franklin. Got several the last few weekends, (with my bow)they were in the company of/same flock, with some Franklins.

Livewire322
09-26-2011, 06:23 PM
It's a misnomer... But they taste the best if you ask me?

1/2 slam
09-27-2011, 01:54 AM
If you get a "willow" grouse , you will notice it DOES NOT have a "cape" like a ruffy, same colors just no black cape around the neck area. They may actually be a female Franklin. Got several the last few weekends, (with my bow)they were in the company of/same flock, with some Franklins.

Oh boy here we go.:? The term Willow grouse when used here in BC refers to a ruffed grouse not a female franklin.

1/2 slam
09-27-2011, 02:08 AM
Here is a quote from the TV show "bird Dogs forever"

I started hunting upland birds and waterfowl 50 years ago with my father who was an avid bird hunter. Growing up on Vancouver Island in the 1960’s and 1970’s I had the opportunity to hunt both blue and willow grouse at a time when their population was high and bag limits were very liberal. My first bird dog was an English Springer who was keen but had a mind of his own. Labradors came in to my life in 1972 with my first chocolate lab which at that time were quite rare. Since that time I have never been without Labradors. My wife and I currently live in Princeton B.C. and own Whiterobin Kennels. The upland bird hunting in our area is quite diverse with three species of grouse, chucker’s, Hungarians, Quail and some pheasant. --Steve White

Steve and Cindy White
Whiterobin-kennels.com
P.O. Box 850
Princeton BC VOX 1WO

He is referring to ruffed grouse.

bigshooter
09-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Willow grouse : Tanish, greyish, brownish, fluffy headed ditch chicken.

09-27-2011, 10:43 AM
hahahahahahah!!!!!!

this'll be good.
If you dont know what the word is for slang or not dont use it. Call them a Ruffed grouse or a willow ptarmigan and you will be safe.

elkdom
09-27-2011, 10:57 AM
so what about a "Ditch-Chicken" ?

are they only found in "ditches" ?

will I damage my pic-up , if I see one in the ditch and use my pic-up to KILL it ?

what SIZE of pic-up , is ADEQUATE for killing ditch chickens ?

should I buy DURAMAX for killing ditch chickens ?

are "ditch chickens BIG enough", to make my air-bags deploy ?

should I bring the ditch chicken home whole ?, or should I bone it out ? :?

09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
so what about a "Ditch-Chicken" ?

ditch chicken migrate using ditches as their "Roads"

are they only found in "ditches" ?
yes

will I damage my pic-up , if I see one in the ditch and use my pic-up to KILL it ?

if you use the "Dip in and scoup" method you should be alright

what SIZE of pic-up , is ADEQUATE for killing ditch chickens ?

Adequate and ethical are 2 different words
sidekick?? Adequate,,,, 1500 is Ethical

should I buy DURAMAX for killing ditch chickens ?
I find the extra torque of the desil motor can actually spit them out the back plucked and everything

are "ditch chickens BIG enough", to make my air-bags deploy ?
If you miss on the "Dip and scoup" yes

should I bring the ditch chicken home whole ?, or should I bone it out ? :?
I find bone in and store them in your grill works for me

Does this awnser your questions?

elkdom
09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Does this awnser your questions?

thanks Bro', you helped alleviate some of my anxiety with your quick reply and sound advice!:)

goin into town now, maybe TEST drive a new DURAMAX, see if I can PICK_OFF a couple of ditch chickens on the test drive,

gees :?, I sure HOPE the Salesman is not an Anti-Hunter !:wink:

thankx again!

09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
No problem man!
Just tell the sales guy you went for coffee in a bad part of town if you miss on the dip and scoup.

elkdom
09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
No problem man!
Just tell the sales guy you went for coffee in a bad part of town if you miss on the dip and scoup.

No way! the salesman will have to go along on the "test drive" :twisted: