PDA

View Full Version : Trigger sticks??

Steeleco
09-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Looking for feed back on an item called "Trigger Sticks" How do they work (good or bad) have they proven an asset or is carrying it with your second hand a liability?

Just yesterday trying to get my daughter set up on the bi-pod I have on her rifle, I'd say cost us her 2nd deer. I'm thinking our chances would have been better with a fast acting mono pod type device.

Thanks

elkdom
09-26-2011, 08:04 AM
practice shooting from MANY,MANY positions!, repetitiously, until boredom and pain sets in, utilize rocks,trees, lumps of dirt, whatever is handy,

there is a LIMIT to just how much gear you pack along,,,,,,,,,,,,:wink:

d6dan
09-26-2011, 08:20 AM
David. I Just picked this set up. It will be perfect for my ground blind. A friend of mine picked them up from Cabelas in Idaho for me. I figure they will work good for shooting from my wheelchair.

https://shop.primos.com/images/PRODUCT/large/1254.jpg

Steeleco
09-26-2011, 08:36 AM
there is a LIMIT to just how much gear you pack along,,,,,,,,,,,,:wink:

I agree, hence the question. My daughter is the reason I ask, she's slight in stature but can shoot very well off the bench. I'm looking for something than may give here that leg up she needs on those quick shots.

d6dan, that's the unit I'm thinking about but in a mono, I will be holding the stick while she gets steady to shoot.

fester
09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
I got a mono pod given to me it is horrible. Very unstable, now it may be that it is just a cheap one??

Singleshotneeded
09-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Steeleco, extend the bipod out a bit so if she lays/sits down for a shot on a deer it'll be the right height, then all she
has to do is extend the legs on the way down and shoot. Have her practice the drill until she has it down smooth.
In the case of a very quick shot, perhaps have her practice offhand shooting with a military sling wrapped around
her forearm. Those things you're referring to are called shooting sticks, and are popular in Africa, the guide sets them down for the client's rifle when game is spotted.

bearhunter338-06
09-26-2011, 10:04 AM
I have one I bought a couple years ago (Bog Pod I believe) and like it. Works good as a walking stick also. I found in the ex-stream cold it wont work as well, you need to set it at the height you want and leave it alone.

coach
09-26-2011, 10:31 AM
I have the mono pod version of the same Primos trigger stick pictured in D6dan's post. I find it quite unstable - especially for a young shooter. I'm thinking the tripod version would be perfect for my daughter and I'm considering picking one up. No need to hold it for her. Just set it up and stand back and watch the reaction of the animal. We have a bipod on her .270 and it's great when circumstances are right - but not always useful if there's knee height Or higher vegetation.

Salty
09-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I bought this thing for river fishing after a scarry encounter fly fishing in high water. Its a retractable wading staff made by Snowbees of England; a fly fishing company. As you see its got a coolio cork handle, or a replacement flip open V notch for shooting. Even has a lil compass in there. Going to try it out as a walking stick and potentially shooting stick in the hills this yr

http://www.snowbee.co.uk/_webedit/cached-images/596-693-173-0-0-693-173

Snowbees isn't that big in N America so you won't find this everywhere. Nile creek fly shop down island carries them tho. ..

Steeleco
09-26-2011, 05:26 PM
I have the mono pod version of the same Primos trigger stick pictured in D6dan's post. I find it quite unstable - especially for a young shooter. I'm thinking the tripod version would be perfect for my daughter and I'm considering picking one up. No need to hold it for her. Just set it up and stand back and watch the reaction of the animal. We have a bipod on her .270 and it's great when circumstances are right - but not always useful if there's knee height Or higher vegetation.

Exactly where I was at just yesterday. The height wasn't too bad as the deer moved a few times, but the lateral movment was difficult, she couldn't get set up on the boiler room without a lots of jerky inacurate movements.

coach
09-26-2011, 06:24 PM
This is the model I want. Extremely easy to use, adjust height, move with the animal, etc.

https://shop.primos.com/pc-1255-112-tall-tri-pod-trigger-stick.aspx

Livewire322
09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Get her to practice freestand shooting...

coach
09-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Awesome idea, Livewire. We might as well get our kids used to the idea that wounding animals is part of hunting.

I think we should teach our kids to shoot from many different positions and to look for natural rests such as stumps, rocks, etc. We should encourage them to shoot off backpacks and to shoot grouse with a scoped .22 so they get used to aquiring their target in the scope. That said, having a decent shooting rest in our arsenal (such as a tripod) helps out young hunters make clean, ethical shots. Why wouldn't we spend a few bucks to avoid the unfortunate circumstance of wounding animals and, perhaps, turning them off of hunting?

Steeleco
09-27-2011, 12:32 AM
With all due respect Livewire, she's 12 and 5ft nothing, she shoots a rem 700 in 25-06. She's great with the gun and wicked off the bags at the range, but her little body isn't near strong enough just yet to shoot free hand. Had we been able to move left to right freely which the Bi-pod won't do in the unit I have, I think things may have been different. All in good time.

Thanks for all the feed back, I got one idea via PM that is going to give me something to do next shift at work LOL

I like that unit coach, but think the bi-pod version is the one I may try if my other idea doesn't pan out.

RayHill
09-27-2011, 01:18 AM
I got a mono pod given to me it is horrible. Very unstable, now it may be that it is just a cheap one??

I own the cheapest mono stick you can buy 12 bucks. I shoot off of it stick set at about 2 feet long sitting crosslegs elbows in knees one hand one the trigger the other on the stick. I can shoot 4L milk jugs over 400 rang finder yards with a standing start to sit and shoot in one smooth motion. Quicker set up then a back pack rest or a bi pod set up and just as stable.

Shooting from standing position is unstable because your ass isn't grounded and that is what makes you move off target
standing = swaying.