PDA

View Full Version : Barriere area Moose help. (MU 3-38)

luckofthedraw
09-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Heading out to 3-38 this week for a moose/deer hunt. Bull draw in hand, but I was unable to scout earlier due to lack of funds. The plan is to set up camp near North Barriere Lake. Looking for any insight or tips anyone may have. Specifically I would like to know how the rut is looking in this area.

Any tips are much apprieciated.

Thanks Lotd :-D

Looking_4_Jerky
09-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Although it's not far from where I live, I don't know the area well. I've heard there's good deer hunting in the area if you know where to look. I would focus up high for deer. My guess is the same applies for moose, although I know guys who have taken moose on the islands of the north Thompson, so I guess that would not be a hard, steadfast rule by any means. I was searching Google Earth earlier this year looking for a good alpine hunt close to my home and that area turned up a lot of decent looking country.

Either way, the deer rut will not be happening until Nov. Maybe pre-rut in late Oct. Moose I'm not sure. Hunters that have been spending much time in the North Valley (N. Thompson drainages) are reporting a fair bit of predator activity.

Good luck!

Darksith
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
you should be fine for your moose tag. Stick to the cuts and swamps. Still hunt in the morning, then cruise the timber edges in the late morning afternoon, then back to the feeding grounds for the evening

JoshCampbell
09-26-2011, 05:18 PM
i worked in that area last fall, and seen bucks in every block we brushed was there for 2 weeks brushing allover those roads a few bulls but tons of deer

luckofthedraw
09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks last year in the clearwater area the deer seemed to be quite up because of the warmer weather. I assume this year will be the same. Has anyone had any experience on this for this season?

doubled
09-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Lots of deer there and lots of loggers. Moose population is not what is was a few years ago but you should still get your bull. We shot a bull Saturdau that was with a cow so the rut is getting close. They were not responding to calls yet. Lots of marshy areas to the east of North B Lake.

luckofthedraw
09-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the tips were pulling out tomorrow!

doubled
09-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Good luck. I grew up there and it is a good spot for wildlife IMO.