PDA

View Full Version : How long will elk bugle around PG

rafike
09-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Is the rut done havent heard a peep in three days.

elkdom
09-25-2011, 08:37 PM
I have heard elk bugle pretty much any month of the year, and had them answer as well, elk generally are much more vocal during the rut , but NOT always!
but many things can have an effect on whether they bugle , weather,unusually warm temperatures, predator pressure, and hunting pressure can also have a negative effect,,,

in these quiet times, you will have to use EXTRA effort !!, and if the bulls are not bugling and YOU ARE bugling ?, you will only add to their stress! they will generally avoid you and make it even less likely for you to score!

in times when they are not bugling, you have to move through areas they seek out to be unseen,in their "elk hidy holes", carefully move/hunt all hours of the day, use elk scent/cow in heat scent, and scent cover and an occasional cow/calf call, be alert, they may respond and check you out, but they will be quiet as they approach your cow calls,,,,

Weatherby Fan
09-25-2011, 08:46 PM
I have called a few Bulls in in Oct,latest I recall was Oct 15th that I had a 6pt answer and come to my bugle.

elkdom
09-25-2011, 09:04 PM
I have called a few Bulls in in Oct,latest I recall was Oct 15th that I had a 6pt answer and come to my bugle.

jand ust for $hitz and gigglz ,,,because there is lots of elk all year round where I live.
I have bugled Big 6 and 7 point bulls up close within 30 yards in December,,

and many,many times I have watched and listened to large numbers of bulls just buglin back and forth to each other late in Nov and Dec !

and whatever time of the year? it totaly depends what mood THEY are in !:wink:

RBooth
09-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Some useful information for young elk hunters in your first response elkdom!
Thanks!

Ourea
09-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Elkdom has got it dialed.
He knows.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-25-2011, 10:39 PM
in times when they are not bugling, you have to move through areas they seek out to be unseen,in their "elk hidy holes", carefully move/hunt all hours of the day, use elk scent/cow in heat scent, and scent cover and an occasional cow/calf call, be alert, they may respond and check you out, but they will be quiet as they approach your cow calls,,,,

This held true for us earlier this year. Hot days and full moon nights had the elk clammed right up during daylight. The 6pt we got came in silent as a slug. Luckily my buddy caught the top of a fir tree shaking around and then peered over a ledge to see the bull thrashing the tree. When he was finally able to count points he pulled the trigger and it worked out. The only elk we heard were at night.

I'm the farthest thing from an elk expert, but I've been told that calling elk is effective until at least late October, and from the reports of our more seasoned elk hunters, sounds like they go a lot later than that.

Elkaholic2010
09-25-2011, 11:00 PM
The rut is far from over! As for vocalness, there may be no elk in the area your hunting or they may be pressured from other hunters mis using calls etc. Cracks me up to see and hear guys drive up in a truck or quad, stop bugle, listen and drive away. I can hear a quad from a mile away..so do the elk. The bulls and lead cows wisen up quickly.

Get off the beaten path as far from roads and other hunters as you can, and your chance for success goes up drastically! Still hunt the dark timber and cow call from cover. You will be surprised how quietly and quickly bulls can pinpoint your location and close the gap...even in dry conditions.

Like Elkdom, I have heard bulls bugle into the winter...Xmas day to be exact. Also watched BIG bulls fight,rub and thrash trees into mid November.

Good Luck!

Elk hunting becomes an addiction once you have some repeat success!