PDA

View Full Version : Which area has the best success/opportunity for Rocky Mtn Bighorns?

Rackmastr
09-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey Guys,

With all the sheep opportunities that a BC resident has for Stones, Calis, Dalls, and Rockies, it had me wondering something. Obviously there is a heck of a lot of country that Rocky Mtn Bighorns inhabit in BC. It leads me to wondering about where the majority of rams in BC are hunted or where the best success is.

Over in Alberta, we obviously have a few areas that are better than others, but it seems that BC has a heck of a lot more country for them. Just curious how each 'area' differs from the other. Do the Kootenays hold more rams than the north country sheep? Are there many hard and fast rules about it?

Just was curious about it...obviously not lookin for specifics! :-D

ryanb
09-25-2011, 02:41 PM
I believe numbers wise there are far more stones sheep than bighorns, but they are spread over a greater area.

fireguy
09-25-2011, 02:43 PM
don't know if I can tell you where the best areas are for bighorns, but no matter how hard I hunt for them, region 1 seems to be very difficult.

Rackmastr
09-25-2011, 02:48 PM
I believe numbers wise there are far more stones sheep than bighorns, but they are spread over a greater area.

Ya it seems that way. I was just curious as I dont hear as much about areas over here on the Alberta side. I'm looking at a move to the East Kootenays and have always wondered if the Koots have the best bighorn hunting or if its up further north into the mountains north of HWY #1.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Was just chatting with an acquaintance who used be a wildlife tech in the Koots and he said much of the good sheep country is right on the continental divide and the sheep are actually using both BC and Alberta for feeding and escape terrain. I'm not sure if it a function of sheep numbers, effort, access, or what, but the South Kootenay harvest is much higher than the North Kootenay and Robson country northward, ie, Kakwa, etc. The animals definitely winter harder in the north country, which will affect not only numbers, but horn growth.

Rackmastr
09-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks thats kinda what I was lookin for. Its interesting with looking at ALL the mountains that BC has and the dispersal of all sorts of sheep and mountain critters to get an idea of what parts of the province are producing the most, have the more opportunity, etc.

I'm firming up a move to Cranbrook in the next 2-3 months and was just curious about where in the province is more opportunity for that sort of things. After living in Alberta for my whole life its easy for me to know where some of the pressures are, populations, etc but will be starting pretty fresh in BC so thought I'd do some lookin into it....

Looking_4_Jerky
09-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Be forewarned that although the southeast probably has the most sheep habitat for Rockys, it also sustains the most pressure by far.