PDA

View Full Version : When Elk hunting becomes too easy............take your 10 yr old to fill your tag!

Elkaholic2010
09-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Been a very warm season but still been able to get in on some decent 320-330 class bulls but passed them up. My 10 yr old junior wanted to take a bull so yesterday morning we hiked in and busted a nice respectable borderline 300 class 6x6 satellite bull. I had him dead at 40yds a couple different times but I set my son up to take the shot. Very thick, very steep North East facing draw. I cow called the bull back but my son just couldnt seal the deal. To make things more difficult and hopefully to help him learn to make good judgement calls in a pressure situation. He has to have a rest of some kind to shoot from, either dead log, against a tree or a shooting stick I carry for him, as I want to make sure hes not going to wobble and maim something. He also must verify if the bull is legal on his own...then confirm with me to take the shot. I dont just tell him to shoot. If he did not have to count this bull on his own, he would have tagged him at 30yds. Very exciting for him...and me. The different herds of elk we are after are all public land elk, not set up in a blind on a field or food plot. So.....if your finding Elk hunting to be a slam dunk...take a child hunting! They wont forget it and neither will you!:-D

J_T
09-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Yeah, good post. I've almost never hunted without my kids. From the time they were 3 they've hunted whitetails, from the time they were about 6 they've hunted elk. Always something to learn for them and as a parent, always some new patience required. It's fun, exciting, memorable, great bonding and its more about the day spent together, than cutting the tag.

Rackmastr
09-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Thats sweet!!!

What part of the province are you in?? Sounds like you've got a little elk heaven goin on!!

Elkaholic2010
09-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Rackmastr,

Southern BC, Region 8. Theres actually a good population of elk throughout our region. While guys are busy pissin and moanin about closed roads etc that they cant drive up to the animals....Im out hiking to where the elk actually live! Its a very basic, simple game plan, but it doesnt seem like anyone wants to get off their quad or out of their truck these days....which works out great for the way I hunt!

300H&H
09-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Rackmastr,

Southern BC, Region 8. Theres actually a good population of elk throughout our region. While guys are busy pissin and moanin about closed roads etc that they cant drive up to the animals....Im out hiking to where the elk actually live! Its a very basic, simple game plan, but it doesnt seem like anyone wants to get off their quad or out of their truck these days....which works out great for the way I hunt!

I second your thoughts. Get out and walk if you can.

yota
09-25-2011, 10:53 AM
I love this thread just becuase of the memories I have my parents taking me out hunting since I was little when i used to race home from school and get all the gear ready then wait at the front door for my dad to get home from work just to catch the last light flight for ducks and geese. Or when we would go deer hunting I always got to shoot all the grouse we would see. They taught me to shoot the patients to hunt and how to enjoys the moment. My father passed away 3 years ago and all the memories I have are when we where out enjoying mother nature.