PDA

View Full Version : Princeton elk - am I dreaming or possible reality

Looking_4_Jerky
09-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Hi all,

I am contemplating heading down to Princeton Oct 1st for a couple of days to look for some meat (if I can find an accomplice to go with). I've never hunted there and in fact only been through the area a few times. While I know that mulies are abundant in the area, what I really want is to be able to run into some elk. Even though our hunting camp of 5 on our first trip did manage a smallish E Koots bull earlier, the lack of vocal animals on our trip left me longing for another chance to talk to some elk. I'm wondering a few things:

1 - Does half the Lower Mainland and half the Okanagan hunt around there?
2 - What are the odds of running into whities there (I hear quite slim)?
3 - Are there a decent amount of elk in that country to begin with or is it a bit of a needle in a haystack scenario?
4- Any suggestions for general locations (PM is fine if anyone is that generous)?

Any info given is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Jerky

Weatherby Fan
09-25-2011, 03:19 AM
Sometime's closer to the end of the season you might think it was the only area in BC open lol yes it can be busy at times other times not so much !
Some pockets of Elk around,depends on the pressure and how hard there being pushed around as to where you will see them,we have taken a cpl of Bulls out of the area and one 5 pt Whitetail just west of town.
PM sent.
Good Luck
WF

Piperdown
09-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Hit around the mine site or on the flats before town good luck and keep us posted :)

Phreddy
09-25-2011, 09:32 AM
It's generally a gong show up here. Kind of reminds me of an old Keystone Cops movie.

ufishifish2
09-25-2011, 11:50 AM
I will be out there all this week working in the bush and hunting elk all the while.
Last year I was hanging flagging tape for a cutblock boundary that I was laying out along the road for two kms. In the hour or so that I was walking down the road three pickups passed me and each one had a 6 pt bull elk in the back. I am certain it was a fluke, but sure has my hopes up for this year.

adamgarbett
09-25-2011, 12:08 PM
i also saw a pickup with a beauty elk in the back last year. So there deffinatly there.

ElectricDyck
09-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Anything's possible, I saw a 6 point 2 weekends back in the middle of the road very close to Manning Park. I think I was as surprised as him. I still wouldn't go there for an elk specific hunt but might carry a tag with me.

mark
09-25-2011, 05:51 PM
If you didnt tag out with ease in the koots, then the princeton hunt is just a dream, I think you'll be lucky just to see an elk, but anything can happen!

Weatherby Fan
09-25-2011, 06:30 PM
If you didnt tag out with ease in the koots, then the princeton hunt is just a dream, I think you'll be lucky just to see an elk, but anything can happen!

Your bang on Mark,we always have an Elk tag along as you never know when you will run into one around there,have been lucky enough to take a cpl of bulls out of the area over the years while hunting for deer,sometimes you will see elk every day and some years you don't see any.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks to those that have responded so far - I appreciate it! I expected that the elk would be pocketed due to thinner densities and I had an idea that it was not going to be elk running wild everywhere! I think that if I can find some pockets and actually have some back and forth calling, That will kick ass and I can't expect too much more, especially if I can peg a meat buck out of region.

Cheers,
Jerky