PDA

View Full Version : Scope in the rain question...

Black Bird
09-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi folks,

I have been hunting the past few years with a crappy scope that I had put flip-cap scope covers on (front and back). They worked fine, but I am wondering if they are necessary. I bought a new scope for this year and only one of the caps fit. Before going out and buying a new cap for the front I am wondering on people's opinion of whether they are necessary or not.

I do hunt in the rain - in fact, I find I have most success at finding deer in the rain. Also, I like that after I have taken down a deer I can flip down the caps to protect the lenses when I put my rifle down.

Have I just answered my own question?

Cheers,
BB

Oh, my scope is Bushnell Elite 3200 with 'Rainguard' on it.

Bill Dance
09-24-2011, 10:02 AM
IMO you answered your own question. I have a pair on my scope and wouldn't be without them. Here's one tip though if you see game that's quite close you shouldn't just pop them open as the game can hear this. I almost missed out on a 4x4 buck this way. You also made a good choice in scopes as I have a Elite 4200 2.5 x 10 with the firefly recticle and the rainguard does make a difference to fogging up on the outside.

Tenacious Billy
09-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Flip-ups are great - over the last few years however, I've lost a few sets when bombing up and down the sides of mountains.....sometimes I'd lose an entire cover or sometimes one would inadvertently flip-open and bust off part of the cover.

This year I replaced one set with a bikin-cover - waterproof, quick, pretty much silent to remove and if I lose it, it'll cost about 10$ to replace. Plus - one size fits all!

Weatherby Fan
09-24-2011, 10:34 AM
I have never used them in 30 years of hunting,rain,sun or snow,in my opinion there not necessary,as Bill Dance has pointed out they almost cost him a deer.

troutseeker
09-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I've used them one season, found them hard to open when the action was fast and I had gloves on. Now I just slip on my Leupold neoprene scope cover on until I get where I hunt, then it's naked scope all the way. Never an issue.

The Silent Stalker
09-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Im a flip cover guy. Helps keep stuff off the lenses while walking around in the bush. I just try to remember to keep my hands on em when I open em so they dont pop open, and scare anything.

greenhorn
09-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I like them and use them. If you have trouble with the covers popping off put a little dab of hot glue on the inside of them and then slip them on the scope. The glue has enough stiction to keep the cover on, but also allows them to be taken off when needed.

Shooter
09-24-2011, 10:32 PM
I use one on the objective lens only so when I have my rifle shouldered the rain doesn't pool in.

ELK Seeker
09-24-2011, 10:45 PM
I use them and like added protection they add to my optics. I have never had a problem with any of mine popping off.

J-Man
09-24-2011, 11:00 PM
I just carry the scope cover if I think its going to rain, otherwise nothing. The Bushnell Elite seem to do fine in the rain though. I've forgot the covers in the rain, sitting on the river and still had no problem bagging my moose.

greenhorn
09-24-2011, 11:02 PM
I use them and like added protection they add to my optics. I have never had a problem with any of mine popping off.

I have an elite 3200 and my covers would sometimes loosen or pop off when I hiked with my big pack on and the rifle slung over my shoulder. My covers are made by Butler Creek.

Gateholio
09-24-2011, 11:37 PM
I like them, find them useful for keeping lenses clean as well as water and snow from building up in the scope.

I use electrical tape to hold them onto the scope. This has the added benefit fo preventing any leaks down the edge of the scope/cover joint.

Sooke Hunter
09-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Great combination!!! Bushnell Eilte 3200 and some Butler Creek covers...works very well!! I live in Sooke and do some Blacktail hunting in late October...usually LOTS of rain and foggy....a scopes worst nightmare!!

Dutch Ppoacher
09-25-2011, 11:23 AM
rain guard is great! i own a 4200 elite and have covers for it, but when in the mountians i tend to leave them open, this is where the rain guard comes in to play. wish my leupold had it on the lens'. but i like the screw in caps better. i've lost a few buttler cr. caps over the yrs. and usually not till i am back at the truck! gate's tape idea is a good idea!

DP

blackwater moose
09-25-2011, 11:24 AM
i use one cover for the front only

Gateholio
09-25-2011, 11:42 AM
The Leupold screw in covers are excellent, although $$. I tape those on, too.

Legi0n
09-25-2011, 03:44 PM
I use plastic wrap. Single use :D

Yak
09-25-2011, 06:29 PM
I use the butler creek covers also for island deer hunting and also for moose hunting.

For 20 bucks I dont think you can go wrong protecting your scope with them.

Black Bird
09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Well, I just got back out of the rain today taking the rifle out for some practice. It was hammering out there but it seemed to me that the lenses did just fine. It beaded up on both the front and back lens (as I tilted the rifle up and down just to do it), but apart from seeming a bit darker than normal it was very workable. I still might end up getting them just as a way of protecting the lenses but I must say I was very happy with the Rainguard.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

BB

sneg
09-27-2011, 08:44 AM
I like scope covers . Have seen quite few pop up type which break in bush or being in car and snag something. Rainguard or similar is a must around here.

stoneguide
09-27-2011, 08:56 AM
I used to use the flip ups but dont like them much. Have had many issues in leather scabbords and have broken them in rough conditions(twice). They also will freeze shut or the button will freeze if moisture gets on them and then turns cold(have had a couple hunters have this issue). I have switched to a scope coat and will never go back.
SG

Mack45
09-27-2011, 10:27 AM
I use them and like the bikini slip cover idea if that works. I also found I like using the Hornady one shot as a rain gard for my gun in the nasty weather is great it has a wax base and works great it is a bit costly but so is my hunting rifle.

kitnayakwa77
09-27-2011, 02:52 PM
like the bikini cover - waterproof, cheap, quiet, light, and idiotproof.