PDA

View Full Version : Hunt with dog?

The Silent Stalker
09-24-2011, 01:00 AM
I need to ask the masses this one. I have a chance to go on a hunt with a buddy, 12hr drive, 7-8 days, Elk and Whitey mission. Problem is he has a pit bull he has to bring because no one will watch it. He says its good and will be fine in the truck. I do not want to spend the time and money going that far, only to be walking around in the bush smelling like a dog. Do any of you really walk the bush with your dogs when looking for Elk or Deer? My truck is brand new and I'll be damned if any dog is going to spend a week in it while I am looking for critters. I just think having a dog will really dampen our chances. What do you think?

Buck
09-24-2011, 01:46 AM
I hunt with a dog but mine is trained and bred for it.It is a huge advantage to hunt into the wind with a properly trained dog.What are your accommodations can the dog stay in a kennel in the back of the truck or trailer while you travel hunt?Depends on the dog if he heals well and doesn't bark should be good to hunt with.

fearnodeer
09-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Leave him in kennel must be one in the area.

RustyNail
09-24-2011, 07:15 AM
I agree with Buck depending on the dog as I do the same. However in your case I would tell the friend to pony up for a kennel and leave the dog if it's not a trained hunting dog. If he cannot afford it, think about chipping in. It may make the hunt far more enjoyable for you and how much is that worth!

BCLongshot
09-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Yuk !

Can afford to go hunting then can afford a kennel.

Thought the regs say when hunting your dog must be leashed.

RustyNail
09-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Depends on how he is going to use it or if he is going to. I don't know that. I agree though for the most part if he can afford a hunt he can afford a kennel. Don't know the circumstances though. I've used mine to blood track wounded game, on leash, and retrieve birds.

BCLongshot
09-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Ya I agree.

I've brought my Samoyed back to finish dealing with my game because of all the grizzly shit in the area. I'd rather have her bark and be dramamatic. lol lol

Nothings worse than being on your sacred hunting trip/holiday and having a damn dog or bitchy/moody person ruin it.

When your wondering about it now trust me it's probably going to be a negative.

BromBones
09-24-2011, 07:52 AM
I hunt with a dog but mine is trained and bred for it.It is a huge advantage to hunt into the wind with a properly trained dog.What are your accommodations can the dog stay in a kennel in the back of the truck or trailer while you travel hunt?Depends on the dog if he heals well and doesn't bark should be good to hunt with.

X2. A good dog that's trained and knows his job is excellent to bring along. A dog that's lived in a house or fenced yard all his life is not gonna make a very good hunting partner.

The Silent Stalker
09-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Its a pit bull that is not trained in any way to hunt. I have a brand new truck, and don't want a dog in it for a week, making me smell like a dog when I'm in the bush. If he can't kennel it, I'm going to pass and go to Region 8 for an Elk and Whitey. If I'm going alone, it's an easier hunt for me, it's closer and I know the area I will go to. Plus Grimms in Penticton does well with our meat. Thanks guys.

Paulyman
09-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Coming from a dog owner I will advise you to not go based upon the lack of training the dog has, my dog has alot of obedience training and still could use alot of work out in the bush. If your truck is new I would assume you would ask the owner to keep the dog in the box of the truck, the mud that a dog can track into a vehicle on a hunting trip is remarkable.

mainland hunter
09-24-2011, 11:16 AM
i have a pitbull I take hunting, they're smart dogs and pick up on what your doing quickly, she's not trained to hunt but doesn't affect the hunt negatively at all, the only problem is they get cold rather quickly, so he should be prepared for that. I don't think the dog will dampen your chances at all, in fact they may increase it, but I think it boils down to not wanting it in your truck which is fine and would probably turn into a negative if you allowed it, go to princeton. I'm with your buddy though, I wouldn't kennel my dogs either.

Walking Buffalo
09-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Its a pit bull that is not trained in any way to hunt.

Other factors ( like a pretty truck ) aside....

Is this a true "pit bull" terrier? A mix? So many dogs are being called "pit bulls" these days....

Most people today have forgotten the history of Staffordshire Terriers.
Staffordshire Terriers were bred to hunt! They are not bird dogs, their instincts are to hunt vermin and predators. There is a good chance this dog's instincts will prevail, and you'll have great company on the trip.

This girl, Coco, a true American Staffordshire Terrier (Not a Staffordshire "pit bull" Terrier), is a fantastic deer/elk/bear/cougar hunting partner. Her training involved letting her instincts flow.

Coco learned within seconds during her first hunt to not chase deer, but to act as #2 dog when we are still hunting. She will stay at heel throughout the serious part of a hunt, even crawling when I do. If she smells a bear, wolf, or cat.... then she takes the lead, instinctively keeping me in sight, for my protection (that's what she thinks ).

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC01955.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC00852.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC00776.jpg

Coco will ocasionally retrieve a bird, but not always...
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC00709.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC01686.jpg

If your friend's dog is obediant and will follow basic control commands, then I suggest you give the dog a chance to do what most dogs naturally love to do, GO HUNTING!

Walking Buffalo
09-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Its a pit bull that is not trained in any way to hunt.

Other factors ( like a pretty truck ) aside....

Is this a true "pit bull" terrier? A mix? So many dogs are being called "pit bulls" these days....

Most people today have forgotten the history of Staffordshire Terriers.
Staffordshire Terriers were bred to hunt! They are not bird dogs, their instincts are to hunt vermin and predators. There is a good chance this dog's instincts will prevail, and you'll have great company on the trip.

This girl, Coco, a true American Staffordshire Terrier (Not a Staffordshire "pit bull" Terrier), is a fantastic deer/elk/bear/cougar hunting partner. Her training involved letting her instincts flow.

Coco learned within seconds during her first hunt to not chase deer, but to act as #2 dog when we are still hunting. She will stay at heel throughout the serious part of a hunt, even crawling when I do. If she smells a bear, wolf, or cat.... then she takes the lead, instinctively keeping me in sight, for my protection (that's what she thinks ).

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC01955.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC00852.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC00776.jpg

Coco will ocasionally retrieve a bird, but not always...
http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC00709.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC01686.jpg

If your friend's dog is obediant and will follow basic control commands, then I suggest you give the dog a chance to do what most dogs naturally love to do, GO HUNTING!

Mainland Hunter, "the only problem is they get cold rather quickly"

That sure is true.... I have more clothes for the dog than for myself.... Just gotta keep her moving....

ufishifish2
09-24-2011, 01:08 PM
I have a pitbullx that comes on every hunt with me. She has been on hunts for elk, deer, moose, sheep, and goats. The difference is that she is well trained, heels at my side all day long and does not bark.
I think you will be unhappy having this guys dog along so don't allow it to happen. If it's an untrained "city dog" it is likely an idiot. Don't risk the hunt you've been looking forward to all year.

tash
09-24-2011, 06:00 PM
No matter how well trained the dog is, it sounds like you would much rather not have to deal with that added hassle. I say do your own thing. You dont want to spend a whole week being annoyed by someone else's dog.

Just because the guy claims the dog is well-behaved, doesn't mean it is. There are many different interpretations of "well-behaved".

Agree with whoever commented on the amazing amount of mud a dog can track into a truck....plus the fur...I have given up trying to keep either of the vehicles fur free. Obviously, this means that pretty much all of my clothes, hunting stuff included, gets dog fur on it.

I don't take my dog hunting because she is not well-behaved enough. She is quite the spaz and her recall is not to the point where I trust her around large game. Maybe one day....

I also cannot kennel my dog. Even if I could, I'm not sure I would...

tim3500
09-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Your truck Your rules . If the dog isnt able to deal with the cold or isnt trained to hunting standards (sit ,stay ,heal , come ) it stays at home ! I couldnt ever leave mine behind but walking bush hes in the canopy. He only comes out when I get back or have to retreve something . I always ask before I bring him anyways but all my partners know hes behaved and listens very well

tash
09-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Another thing to consider....what happens if the dog gets hurt? Splits a pad badly etc? (we've had a split pad completely change our plans while backpacking)Does the dog just stay in the truck? Left to shiver for the day in a kennel in the back?

I would not let a dog I did not know very well to spend any time unattended in my vehicle...the mayhem an unhappy, stressed dog can unleash in a vehicle interior is quite something...

fuzzy
09-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Your truck your rules. Go for a hike with the dog and see how it reacts to its surroundings. I have a reasonably obedient 18 month dog which has hunted before and follows my lead even when walking. When i stop he sits, when i crouch he lays down, if another dog aproaches he looks for direction, if he wants to chase a squirrel he looks at me for permission, he has been around bears a couple of times and behaved well and when he was 5 months old behaved perfectly on a deer hunt. All of this means i wouldnt hesitate to take on a 2 or 3 day hunt but there is no way he is coming with us on our 10 day moose hunt, just one more thing to worry about and to many variables. I am hoping to have him "tuned up" and take him next year but i just dont trust him enough yet.

my .02 cents

fuzzy

The Silent Stalker
09-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Wow, first let me say I love dogs. I have had one almost my whole life and am only 2 yrs without a husky-malamute x myself. I don't care about dirt in my truck, I'd throw a blanket and I can clean it when I get home. I am looking after a buddies dog rite now, and late today I realized the smell in the truck. It wasnt bad, but I smelled it. Maybe I'm just being to anal. I'm thinking I'm going to smell like a dog when sitting in the bush and I can't see that being good for my chances. I don't know the dog very well, just that it is never off leash around town and can't come in a house if there is a dog there. I think I may do my own thing and go to region 8 for an Elk and Whitey. Nothing like staying in the trailer solo, don't drink as much, sleep more and work harder than ever when you down something. Hopefully I will run into someone camping in the same area. Thanks guys. I'll let you know how the trips turns out.

J-Man
09-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I've been on a few trips where people have brought their dogs unexpectedly. Back at camp everyone is usually fine with dogs, but on the hunt these dogs are just a pain. Had one take off on a deer at 8am one time, thought it was gone for good. Looked for 2 hours never saw it. Came back to the same spot at 5pm dog was sitting in the spot we last saw it. Our friend was lucky and we were relieved but everyone felt like shit that whole day because this guy lost his dog. Another time different guy/dog he decides during the hunt he'll kennel the dog in the bed of his truck. They leave to hunt up river, maybe an hour in they notice he's got out and running along the bank following them up. Of course the owner starts waving telling him to go back, so the dog jumps in the river starts swimming to the boat. Ah good times.

That said I had a great city G.shep that was a natural birder, bad with deer. I brought her on every Sept early Oct hunt, did a lot better with grouse. Difference being I knew when to keep my dog at home, and I spent time working on her natural skills with birds. And I trained her on my own time, solo hunts on weekends mostly.

No training, never been hunting - I would pass. Have the owner put some of his own time in if he wants to hunt with his dog.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Sounds like you've made up your mind by now and I'd say it's the right choice - your buddy ditches the untrained dog or you ditch buddy.

As for the smell on you, I don't think this is the hugest factor, unless you are the type of hunter that washes his clothes in no-scent detergent, wears scent-lok or another like product in the bush, wears gumboots for walking, etc. If you're anything less than hyper-diligent with your scent and the animals will bust you on your scent alone when you're not doing things right. I don't think the added scent of dog is the make or break. All the other factors (most of which have been pointed out), however, are deal breakers. My personal disdain for pit-bulls aside, any untrained dog is going to be a hassle in one form or another. There is the remote chance that it could turn out Ok, but are you willing to risk the chance to spoil a planned hunt on those slim chances? And for those living in dreamland who say that the dog's natural hunting instinct might kick in and you'll have a wonderful addition to the trip, WAKE UP! Admit that the chance of this happening are much less than that untrained dog's half-assed city instincts/half-assed killer instincts are going to kick in at the worst time, which is pretty much around every corner on a hunt.

Jerky's 2 cents...

greenhorn
09-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Sounds like you've made up your mind.

I wouldn't take the dog unless your both on board and willing to try and make it work. It'll be a real downer if you're constantly pissed about an unruly dog.

liambobbi
09-25-2011, 12:11 AM
i take my pitbull with me no problem

BigBanger
09-25-2011, 12:33 AM
I have a pitty and take him with me all the time in my truck, i would never ask a friend of mine to take my dog, its just un classy. Tell him no dog or no hunting.

wild_thing
09-25-2011, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't do it. I'd go with your option B and hook your buddy up with some other pit bull owning hunters, let them help him and his dog out.