PDA

View Full Version : A question.....

guywitha270
09-23-2011, 09:12 PM
I shot a small whitetail buck (my first one ever) last weekend with my 300 short mag at about 40 yards. He just walked right up in front of my on the road. The bullet went through clean and to my surprise when I flipped him over, went out clean as well. Just a tiny hole. It broke 1 rib on the way out. Yet, when we opened him up, his lungs were completely gone. Liquified.

My question is, did the bullet cause it, or the force that the bullet was carrying with it? I'm not sure if I'm asking the right question. I assumed that the bullet would mushroom and make a big hole on the way out, or get stuck in there somewhere. Is it because of the big caliber? Or would a .243 have done the same thing at that distance? I realize that the gun is overkill for deer, so I don't need to be reminded of that. But it's the only one I own.

What I took away from this is that the type of bullet doesn't matter. If it's the energy that does the damage, why spend $65 on a box of high end bullets if a $35 box (Fusions) does the same thing?

nap
09-23-2011, 09:21 PM
sounds like you good shot placement with little damage, if it the lead would have hit the rib square, more internal damage would have been done, Over kill maybe but you loaded your buck in the truck right.

Tron
09-23-2011, 09:34 PM
The hydro static shock is what caused the lung damage. On a white tail I would be surprised to find the bullet. It carries so much energy that it should pass right through. Not knowing what weight of bullet you are using, but even then the 300wsm at 40yards is devastating. Im sure your bullet mushroomed but the exit whole size may not look that much different, I would expect it to be about double of the entry. Also anything in line with your rifle at 40yards and a well placed shot will be dead regardless of what type of bullet you are using.

I shoot a 300wsm as well and I don't think its over kill and yes its the only rifle I have as well.
I was reminded the other day that a 243 may punch a small hole in and may not exit, so in this case the hole may close and you will not have a good blood trail if any to follow if needed.

I had the same thing happen to me 2 years ago on a white tail, 150y shot in and out through the lungs with out hitting bone. He went about 75 yards and piled up. His lungs were a mess. Im shooting hand loaded barnes 165gr tsx. Last year I shot a moose with the same load from 75y and it passed through the ribs with out hitting bone and got stuck in the far side shoulder blade. All of the bullet was there and it did its job. Messed up his heart and took part of his lung. Yes it did not exit but it did not need to. I believe you get what you pay for with bullets but educate your self, there is lots of hype about who's got the better bullet. I am used to the load and it works for everything I need it for. Just my 2cents

Congrats on a successful hunt

Hope this helps a bit

Shooter
09-23-2011, 09:34 PM
you need to change your name...

At higher velocities like the 300wsm shoots a poorly constructed bullet may not hold together if you hit more bone on the way in causing significant meat loss and a lack of penetration. Although probably not gonna be a penetration issue on a deer. Thats my limited experience on the subject anyways :)

I noticed a huge difference in bloodshot meat when I went to Barnes from SST. Less with Barnes

orion
09-23-2011, 09:39 PM
What I took away from this is that the type of bullet doesn't matter. If it's the energy that does the damage, why spend $65 on a box of high end bullets if a $35 box (Fusions) does the same thing?

Hit some major bone with the .300WSM and the $35 bullets and I don't think you will find that they do the same thing!

ufishifish2
09-23-2011, 10:31 PM
My personal observation with Fusions was that I got tonnes more bloodshot meat that was ruined than I do with the higher cost Barnes bullets.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-23-2011, 10:47 PM
The hydro static shock is what caused the lung damage.
Hope this helps a bit

And that hydrostatic shock is totally a function of the extreme energy (ft-lbs) that your bullet had at that range. It's shape matters more when you are hitting bone and firm flesh, but soft flesh like lung tissue practically dissloves under those kinds of pressures. You could have hit it with a Brad nail and done that damage with a gun with that power at that range!

Enjoy your deer.

303carbine
09-23-2011, 11:05 PM
I shot a small whitetail buck (my first one ever) last weekend with my 300 short mag at about 40 yards. He just walked right up in front of my on the road. The bullet went through clean and to my surprise when I flipped him over, went out clean as well. Just a tiny hole. It broke 1 rib on the way out. Yet, when we opened him up, his lungs were completely gone. Liquified.

My question is, did the bullet cause it, or the force that the bullet was carrying with it? I'm not sure if I'm asking the right question. I assumed that the bullet would mushroom and make a big hole on the way out, or get stuck in there somewhere. Is it because of the big caliber? Or would a .243 have done the same thing at that distance? I realize that the gun is overkill for deer, so I don't need to be reminded of that. But it's the only one I own.

No such thing as overkill, dead is dead.

greenhorn
09-23-2011, 11:46 PM
I'd steer clear of federal fusions. I used to shoot them alot and always had crazy meat damage, regardless of range.

guywitha270
09-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the whole hitting bone part of it. I guess it was just good placement. I'll spend a bit more maybe this week on a better bullet. I got a Moose draw in PG and am heading up next weekend. I wouldn't want the Fusions messing up my moose meat.

And I know I need to change my name. I hunted with my dad's .270 last year. Cheers everyone.

buck nash
09-24-2011, 01:05 AM
I've used fusions on 3 animals and not found excessive meat damage. Both my 270win's love the 150gr fusions and shoot super tight groups with them. In fact I haven't found a handload recipe that can out-perform them for accuracy.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-25-2011, 12:00 AM
I read a startling couple of articles having to do with lead contamination in hunter-killed game. Long story short, even if it doesn't look like your bullet had come apart, there are often miniscule lead particles that have potentially traveled a long way around your carcass. Since most of the point behind me eating wild game is the perceived health benefit (tell me that when I'm trying to choke down rut-shot mule deer...), I have gone exclusively to all-copper bullets, period.

My advice to anyone (except the odd guy who I'd like to see come to a slow, miserable demise) would be to nix the lead bullets and find the best behaving all-copper bullet for your gun.

I don't have either of the articles handy, but I'd bet a quick Google search would turn them up.

juiceterboost
09-25-2011, 12:07 AM
ive shot a 243 for years as well as numerous other calibers not once have i ever recovered a bullet from the 243 including shots out to 250 yards. the reality at least in my humble opinion shot placement is key as well as the fact i dont eat the lungs so i never really thought about it.

thanks though when i get my buck this year ill make sure i take a good look