PDA

View Full Version : First pheasant hunt of the year

porcupine
09-23-2011, 09:22 AM
My wife, our two tollers Roux and Beau, and I did our first pheasant hunt of the year on Wednesday. We hunted the Hidden Valley pheasant farm in Parksville and had 5 pheasants released. We got all five and flushed another one. But the nice thing was how good the cover was this year. In previous years it's been sparse at times, but right now it's very good. Well worth taking a young dog there for training and breaking in. This was Beau's first pheasant hunt and we were pleased with his efforts.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/tvaida/HofWaldeck9-21-11002edited.jpg

Weatherby Fan
09-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Awesome photo,haven't been Pheasant huntig in years,nothing like a good working dog to hunt with !
Thanks for sharing.
WF

09-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Nice work!
Do you do the duck package? I've been interested in that part. I have been to Hidden Valley once.

Long bow
09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Good looking dogs and the birds look great also.

huckle buck
09-23-2011, 06:55 PM
nice work good for the dogs to get to flush some birds since grouse hunting is below averge this year i yoused to take my dog to black creek to train on chuker whean young

porcupine
09-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Nice work!
Do you do the duck package? I've been interested in that part. I have been to Hidden Valley once.

I do not use the duck package as I have a couple of farms closer too me where I can hunt ducks. Last year the duck hunting was AWESOME in Comox. If I remember correctly, close to 900 ducks, almost all drake mallards, were shot on the farm there, even though it was only hunted late in the season and only two days per week. If you do not have access to a good duck property, iI'd recommend the duck option.

Brez
12-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Looks like fun! How do you like the dogs. I've been thinking of a Toller for my next one and would like to know what they are like. Some of the places we go have a lot of roses, cactus, and all kinds of thick, prickly stuff. I use my retrievers for grouse, pheasant, quail, ducks, etc. but sometimes they think it's too rough for them.

Dutch
01-13-2012, 04:56 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/2011_winter_038.JPG opening day after a knee replacement pics to show a great dog and 1955 model 12