PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Evidence of Sex ...

krazy
09-23-2011, 07:30 AM
... what's the point?

Steeleco
09-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Oops I was wrong LOL

krazy
09-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks Steelco, I know it has been beaten to death and I don't see any language that says it needs to be there but I went through a game check a few days ago where a CO inspected my bear and gave me a "verbal" warning that next time I better have the evidence of sex attached. I didn't argue with him as that never helps but I just wanted to confirm that nothing has changed. I'm thinking the fact that he only gave me a "verbal" was that he wasn't sure himself. All in all he was a very nice guy.

Steeleco
09-23-2011, 08:20 AM
Did he seem like a young guy? Sometimes the young ones are full of piss and vinegar, a veteran CO would have had a more laid back approach. I would have given my view on the topic and asked for him to "please show me in the book where to find this reg" I'll bet he couldn't.

krazy
09-23-2011, 08:46 AM
He told me he was a 20 year guy. Like I said I wasn't interested in pushing it and risk being held up from my trip home any longer than need be. He even said he phoned another CO to confirm that it was in fact a requirement. Again, he was very nice about the whole thing so no big deal ...... just kinda weird that this would not be clear to them.

Steeleco
09-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Well after re-searching the topic. Seems I was wrong :( Good thing I didn't get stopped too!! But really as you asked in the first post. "What's the point"

Removing Evidence of Sex & Species
Evidence of species and sex may be removed
from the carcass or the hide of game:
4after it arrives at a person’s normal
dwelling place and is butchered and stored
there for consumption on the premises,
4after it is taken to a meat cutter or the
owner or operator of a cold storage plant, or
4after it has been inspected by a qualified
Compulsory Inspector.
NOTE: It is not an offence to possess bear
genitalia attached to the hide or carcass, and,
after it is no longer needed on a bear carcass
as evidence of sex, the genitalia may be
removed from the hide at the above locations
if immediately destroyed and disposed
of at that location. Leaving evidence of
species and sex on the carcass will not spoil
or in any way contaminate the meat.

Mr. Dean
09-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Personally, I wouldn't let it go...

Call the office he's from and kindly ask for some insight. Explain that you can't find the info he warned you about and that both sexes are GOS, AND that there's no compulsory inspection needed.

People are People and some of them get a little inflated, some are naive and some simply don't know (ignorant). If this fella is handing out tickets for this and/or "verbal warnings", it's for an agenda that isn't about conservation.

Mr. Dean
09-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Well after re-searching the topic. Seems I was wrong :( Good thing I didn't get stopped too!! But really as you asked in the first post. "What's the point"

I'm guessing that this would be for G Bear that needs a CI.

The line that states "no longer needed" would be applicable for Blackies..... I don't need it, I don't take it.

Your quote "what's the point" also indicates that it's not needed. :wink:

krazy
09-23-2011, 09:20 AM

hmmm .... not sure why they didn't define it in the section like they did for all other species but given this note I think I'll just keep a small piece of ID on from now on. Thanks Steelco!

krazy
09-23-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm guessing that this would be for G Bear that needs a CI.

The line that states "no longer needed" would be applicable for Blackies..... I don't need it, I don't take it.

I agree MD ... if I don't need it I would prefere to leave it behind.

adamgarbett
09-23-2011, 11:58 AM
i never thought you needed any proof with a blackie either. intresting to see what another co would say on this topic, if that statement in the regs is just for grizz or both?

Steeleco
09-23-2011, 12:54 PM
OK so now I'm really confused!! I have NEVER left evidence attached prior to transport. But the quote I found makes one think I should have. The English language is once again the reason for the question. They should add the word grizzly if that's the intent. I knows there's some gov't employees lurking on the site. Please PM me what the actual rule is. I'll keep your identity under my hat!!!! Thx

Blacktail
09-23-2011, 01:10 PM
with a black bear they will want to know if it is a dry female or not
If the teats have evidence of milk then they can argue that you shot a sow in the company of a cub

wsm
09-23-2011, 01:16 PM
i know someone that got fined for not having evidence of sex attach on their bear.

mark
09-23-2011, 01:50 PM
So should we also cut the antlerless section on the tag as well????
Also worthy of a fine in the name of conservation???? :roll:

wsm
09-23-2011, 02:01 PM
who knows. they put up all the hoops and we all have to jump through them . guess is't just part of it

Barracuda
09-23-2011, 02:50 PM

thats covered in the instuctions for cutting the tag on the back of the pages in the book

ACE
09-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Much the same thing happened to me .......stopped at a game check with a large boar (20 4/16) evidence of sex was there.....CO started crankin on me for not cancelling the 'antlered' part of my bear tag...........informed him that bears didn't have antlers.......became quite heated for a bit until another bear hunter showed up and started laughing at the CO......not a nice situation. Happened at Northwest Bay on Vancouver Island.

krazy
09-23-2011, 07:28 PM

haha ... I actually did cut the anterless section just because, well, it didn't have antlers and I didn't know if I should leave a section of the tag uncut and the CO told me that I should not have cut it. I almost wonder if he would have said I should have cut it if I didn't???

krazy
09-23-2011, 07:35 PM
with a black bear they will want to know if it is a dry female or not
If the teats have evidence of milk then they can argue that you shot a sow in the company of a cub

That doesn't fly cause it doesn't say what evidence I need to leave ... it may not be the teats I leave attached in which case I've still complied (if that turns out to in fact be the law) and they will still have no clue if it's a lactating female. Also, even if you left the teats and there was evidence of milk that still doesn't prove that it was in the company of a cub(s).

krazy
09-23-2011, 07:38 PM
thats covered in the instuctions for cutting the tag on the back of the pages in the book

lol ... I got told not to cut that section and ACE got told to cut it ... so what does it say on the back of the tag (sorry I don't have them in front of me)?

Barracuda
09-23-2011, 07:42 PM
if you read the back of your tag it says

"cut out the applicable notches on the edge of the lisence to denote"

1) day of kill

2)month of kill

3)region of kill

4)whether a DEER,ELK,or MOOSE , antlered or antlerless

krazy
09-23-2011, 07:43 PM
if you read the back of your tag it says

"cut out the applicable notches on the edge of the lisence to denote"

1) day of kill

2)month of kill

3)region of kill

4)whether a DEER,ELK,or MOOSE , antlered or antlerless

ahhh, when in doubt read the directions ... at least those instructions seem clear.

Steeleco
09-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Well, The nice bear my son took yesterday was the first one we've ever left the nut's (in this case) on. Still waiting for that incognito PM!!!!

Everett
09-25-2011, 08:15 PM
File a complaint against the officer tech him a lesson.