PDA

View Full Version : Should deer tags be "any deer" tags?

Gateholio
09-22-2011, 09:36 PM
BC now has lots of whitetails. Should we dump the whitetail and mule deer designations and just have them as "deer tags" with an extra notch to cut to indicate which species you killed?

winchester284
09-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Yup!

But that would probably cut the deer tag revenue so not likely to happen.

Tim
09-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Its a good idea I guess eh. I think they're trying to cull out a lot of the white tails. Having separate tags is good because when they sell the tags they need to control how many white tails are being taken verses mulies; making harvesting white tails more defined than just a deer. I believe the white tails are making it hard for the mules to have their own space because of how aggressive they are.

Everett
09-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Sounds good to me but I will one up you 3 any deer tags should just come with your license etra deer tags to a total of 5 should be allowed regional bag limits would stay the same.

coach
09-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Makes sense to me, Gatehouse. I'm sure a slight increase in the cost of each tag would take care of any lost revenue concerns. The "species" notch would take care of harvest data.

reach
09-22-2011, 10:14 PM
That kind of leads into the more general question: how do they set the price of any species license, not just deer? Is it linked in some way to the actual cost of managing that particular species, or is it just a number someone in MoE made up because it looked good or fit some arbitrary budget?

Without knowing the reasons (if any) why the numbers are the way they are, it's not very productive speculating what changes could be made.

Ambush
09-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Many years ago, in Alberta, you just bought an "antlered" tag. Good for moose, elk, mule or whitetailed deer. A hunter just shot the first antlered animal that appealed to him. And you could buy three.:-D

lovemywinchester
09-22-2011, 10:26 PM
One deer tag makes sense. As long as the price doesn't go up. You will still buy two tags just in case if your in WT country. I also think WT bag limit should be 2 bucks instead of 1 +1 doe. This is based purely on my desire to blast a big WT.

Glenny
09-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I'd still buy two anyway i think.

09-22-2011, 10:30 PM
At one time in the past it used to be there was only a deer tag but without any notch for species. There were very few WTD in BC at that time and deer management in BC was essentially mule deer and blacktail deer management. The idea of going to the WTD tag was so that each species could be managed independently when WTD numbers became significant. I would say in the long run since we now also have seperate regional bag limits for each species, a single tag with notches for species is essentially the same as having seperate tags from a management perspective, still allows independent management of each species, so I don't see much difference or any great advantage either way.

I would think there's a good arguement for creating an additional (blacktail) tag since using the same tag for both species limits coast anbd VI guys from shooting a blacktail back home if they hunt in the interior and tag out on mulies and I don't see any legitimate conservation concern for having that limitation in place.

Gateholio
09-22-2011, 10:37 PM
I always figured they just set rates on how much hunters would pay!! :)

gutpile
09-22-2011, 10:38 PM
thats how it use to be in the 70's in bc, one tag for both deer.

Mr. Dean
09-22-2011, 11:33 PM
As pointed, what would be the benefit?

I'm guessing that the cost to restructure to an "Any Deer" tag would negate the savings of doing away with the printing costs of having the 2 that we now have. I also think that we might lose out on some HCTF monies, giving the fact that there is normally increase in retail cost, when anything gets changes; Hunters wouldn't be as likely to tag up before going afield, opting instead to buy as needed.

:confused::confused:

Steeleco
09-23-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't see a revenue change, I buy two tags each year and if I cut one species before the other I'll by a second one of that species. I still only by three. I'll just get some freedom when it comes to hunting in areas that have both types of deer.

russm86
09-23-2011, 07:59 AM
I agree it does make sense. But while they are at it they should separate the provincial bag limit for deer into each individual species of deer rather than just "3 deer". That way they could more easily regulate the populations of each deer species. Such as allowing us to take say 2 or 3 white tails provinicially as well as say 2 mule deer provincially. It's my understanding, as Tim said, that the whitetails are more dominant and expanding faster and actually possibly hurting mule deer populations in areas. These new species specific limits would allow hunters to harvest more white tail than mulies which is what is desired from my understanding. But with the way it is now and because white tails seem to be so much harder to find and hunt people shoot all three of there deer as mulies rather than putting in the effort to take any white tails. This new way would help distribute the harvest as, if they wanted more than there one or 2 deer, they would have to harvest white tails and would be limited to taking fewer mule deer and more white tails. If my rambling actually makes sense to enyone after all that, lol. Also, thinking now the only real argument I could see CO's making on the single tag idea is they may feel that it may lead to lack of judgment in the feild any deer with antlers gets shot kinda thing. Where as if you have to have specific tags you are more likely to be more careful of what you are shooting at.

steel_ram
09-23-2011, 08:21 AM
That's the way it used to be. Two different tags is a money grab.

bandit
09-23-2011, 08:22 AM
I buy two tags each year and if I cut one species before the other I'll by a second one of that species.

I would bet that if they decreased the price of a whitetail tag by just 1 or 2$ that would shift a lot of people to buy whitetail tags over mulies when faced with a direct decision between the two.

09-23-2011, 11:17 AM
But while they are at it they should separate the provincial bag limit for deer into each individual species of deer

I agree, that would make the most sense.

vortex hunter
09-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I would like two tags

Salty
09-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Let's see here, .. following the money.. um no - it ain't gonna happen. lol

I like the idea from a consumer (hunter') point of view. Less hastle, if I only wanted one deer and didn't care if it was a WT or Mule deer I could just buy a tag rather than 2 tags as it is now if I'm hunting areas with both species so I'm thinking they would loose a few bucks with a one tag system. Like Gate says they will charge what the market will bear and IMO always look for the best revenue potential

CanuckShooter
09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
They shOuld just have gos on deer, pay as you go, and maybe ding you more on the license instead of making you buy all those deer tags! Could also sell doe only tags to meat hunters that would be willing to pass On bucks in favor of getting more does!

Phreddy
09-24-2011, 10:58 AM
That's the way it used to be for years until some "expert" with a college education and very little common sense decided to change it. Makes a lot more sense to me.

LeverActionJunkie
09-24-2011, 05:20 PM
I like the Idea Gates. I would also like to see a system similar to some states and provinces where by you attach the tag to the animal and so long as you are in season etc. and have the tag attached you are compliant. I think it would make a lot more sense and remove some gray areas ie the old "You didn't fully cut out your triangle right here, so I gotta fine you. sorry but its the law." or like the confusion on a recent thread about black bear genitals and antlered antler less black bears. Instead just attach your black bear tag, done simple. Plus if they state where they want the tag attached you could take care of the proof of sex as well.

I really don't understand why our gov't purposely muddies the regulations and makes it so a guy needs his lawyer or notary to confirm his harvest before packing it out.

BimmerBob
09-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Certainly food for thought, kinda makes sense to me to reduce the number of different tags you have to buy and I would like to go a step further, a tag should be valid until you place it on a dead animal or 5 years whichever comes first.

I have no problem renewing my hunting license each year but the purchase of tags annually is something that I find unreasonable. It is especially wrong when someone gets a Grizzly LEH or the like and then is not able to connect on one for whatever reason, those tags are pretty dear and they should be valid until they are canceled by the hunter.

The business of species tags is like printing money that is only valid for the year it was printed in.