PDA

View Full Version : Caribou Region 5-12

lee canty
09-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Looking for information and pointers on hunting in region 5-12......I have a bull moose tag and might look around for some mulies as well, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx

Jelvis
09-22-2011, 08:34 PM
MU 5-12
Chilcotin West access from Hwy 20 via system of roads east from Anahim Lake, also by a road north from Anihim Lake along the Dean River, then east past Eliguk Lake. From Chilanko Forks on Hwy 20, another road system penetrates the southeastern portion. Just east of Redstone, in MU 5-13, a road running northwest connects with the Chilanko Forks road.
Fair deer and moose hunting; good in northern portion but access difficult.
Check regulation if your thinking caribou hunting and see about All terrain vehicle closures.
Jellapeenoforlookylouis.

Ike
09-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Is that moose draw for 5-12A or B?

srupp
09-22-2011, 08:55 PM
good #s of cariboo, and some really decent sized bulls...

Steven

blackbart
09-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Seems to me that the biologists have mentioned being concerned about herd numbers and may move the season to LEH in the near future (ie: 2012). As far as antler size goes I cant seem to remember seeing anything from this particular herd entered into the BC book, but I may be wrong. There are some very pretty bulls that come from the area though.

If you are not climbing onto a horse or into a plane your chances of seeing one while moose hunting are decreased by a fair margin.

I would not advise shooting one for meat once the rut starts. I made this mistake once and had the pleasure of choking it back for about two years due to my pride not permitting me to not eat it. Talk about gas!

srupp
09-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Admitadly most of my encounters with the caribou in this region have been by helicopter...its a route we fly often..at all times of year during daylight hours..I agree with blackbart I have also seen some very pretty bulls from this area..both from the air..and harvested ones...some great mass..not all that tall but good mass.They are quite dispersed..seen then in a lot of locations throughout the year..but the #s seem to be getting greater?? at least IMO....on the gound on foot..agreeable may not be easy..

the caribou I have seen east of Williams Lake in the Cariboo Highlands ..those #s seem to have plumetted...

I have only ate Aug /Sept. bulls...and they were delicious...

cheers

lee canty
09-23-2011, 06:38 AM
It is for 5-12 Zone B

lee canty
09-23-2011, 06:41 AM
What are the regs on the cariboo in this area?

lee canty
09-23-2011, 06:49 AM
Cheers Jelvis,
Are these good moose areas or deer or caribou? You say it is fair eh, but better in the northern section, but poor access, we'll only be hunting out of 4 x 4's no atv's or horses either.............thanks again.

Blair
09-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Without a horse, it's an awfully long walk to where the caribou hang out.

lee canty
09-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Anyone know of a meat cutter in this area? Around Punzi Lake?

srupp
09-23-2011, 08:26 PM
there is a new professional meat cooler/butchering buisness by Redstone Reserve..coming towards Williams Lake it would be on your right..its a large group of buildings..red tin roofs?,...worth checking out .

steven

lee canty
09-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Anyone have a meat cutter in the area?

lee canty
09-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks Steven, I will check it out forsure

srupp
09-27-2011, 09:59 AM
its a huge commercial operation Im thinking they built it to ALSO accomadate the hunters in the area,,it procceses hundreds of beef, etc. looks like its cooler would hold LOTS for hanging, new and shiney...

the only one I know of out in that area..

Steven