PDA

View Full Version : Squamish River FSR flooded

Squire
09-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Just a heads up for anyone planning to hunt the Squamish River valley this weekend: The river has jumped onto the road at 29-3/4 mile and we have shut it down until we can assess it in the morning. We have a lot of rain still in the forecast for tonight and we won't have anyone working past the washout until the danger has passed.
Please respect the ribbon across the road as the river is raging by this area and has thrown logs and whole trees onto the road there.
I will update this site tomorrow afternoon when we have had a chance to assess the total overnight carnage.

Gateholio
09-22-2011, 07:04 PM
I was just speculating on flooding this morning. Conditions seem to be right.....

Merch
09-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up Squire. I was up there last weekend and noticed how high the river was in that area.

seanps
09-23-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks Squire. I was just throwing my gear in the car to head up for a hunt today. Looks like I'll go fishing instead.

J-Man
09-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Let us know I was going to take the 5yr old up Sunday.

Squire
09-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Promised update: The Squamish River continued to rise last night and is now over the road and impassable at 21-1/4 mile. I flew the balance of the road today and if the water goes down over the next couple of days, we can start repairs by Monday. I am optomistic that we aren't looking at more than a day's work to reopen the road for early next week. Sorry about the bad news but better to save the trip.

mark
09-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Rain??? floods??
Its so dam hot and dry here, if you kicked a rock, and it hits another rock, you'd start a forest fire!

rollingrock
09-23-2011, 06:49 PM
I guess God has been looking after me. I was going to go up there earlier this week and planned to stay up at my spot till the end of this week. Otherwise one more person would be reported missing. LOL

TyTy
09-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info. Always appreciated

Squire
09-24-2011, 01:06 PM
The water level has receded from the 21-1/4 mile area but is still running down the road at 29-1/2 mile. No way to tell yet what is left of the road under the water. We will have an excavator on site Sunday morning to redirect the water off the road and back into the channel so we can begin repairs on this stretch.

The Dude
09-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the updates Squire. Really good of you to take the time to do this for others. :D

Squire
09-25-2011, 04:13 PM
We were losing the battle at 29-3/4 mile when I left there at noon today. We did the best we could to control the flow from where it breachs the berm to where we could direct it back into the river channel. We will have to just watch it over the next two rainy days and develop a plan to repair it afterwards. I will update these conditions in a couple of days.

seanps
09-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi Squire: Any updates? Looks like the rain is (thankfully) starting to taper off.

Squire
09-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Last update of this thread: The road is now passable at 29.75 mile but we will be lifting a 200 m section along the river a meter and a half this week and expect to be finished by Friday. We will then move the excavator and rock truck up to 53.5 mile to repair a section that was undermined there as well. You can anticipate delays of up to an hour while we make these repairs. We are holding off on hauliing logs so we can finish this project as quickly and efficiently as possible. We are likely hauling logs this weekend to make up for some of the lost days so I'd like to remind people to drive like there is a centerline and stay on their own side of the road.

Merch
09-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Squire, Do you have the VHF Frequency for the Squamish FSR?

Squire
09-28-2011, 11:25 AM
The road control frequency for the Squamish FSR is 151.115
Logging activity is up branches E-300, E-600 and E-700.

seanps
10-01-2011, 01:33 AM
UPDATE. I drove up to the Squamish Main from Vancouver tonight, only to have to turn around at the 29.75 mark. I saw the excavator and rock truck on the scene, so I assume the road is still being lifted.

There's a big ROAD CLOSED sign up, and the road ahead was still a mess (I was there at about 10 p.m.).

Shame, as I was all geared up and ready for a camp-out and early hunt.

Squire
10-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Sorry to hear that seanps; we had to lift it in two passes, one with larger material and then cap it with fines. It should have been wrapped up today.

seanps
10-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Sorry to hear that seanps; we had to lift it in two passes, one with larger material and then cap it with fines. It should have been wrapped up today.

No problem, I figured it was just a little behind. Good news is that the game past that has had a break from us. I'll try later this week.

Gormley Green
10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
So there is no truth to the opening date of October 30th written on the ROAD CLOSED sign at that location? Seems kind of lengthy.

Squire
10-02-2011, 08:18 PM
It takes longer when you keep having to make it temporarily passable several times a day to let the road warriors who ignore the sign back out. :wink:
Try to remember that this short term 'inconvenience' is allowing long term access.

Gormley Green
10-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Noted. I don't mind the inconvenience, I live here :-D

Thanks for the reply.

Squire
10-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Noted. I don't mind the inconvenience, I live here :-D

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't clue in to the Oct 30th date that you referred to until I went by the sign this morning; the sign should have read Sept 30th as that was how long we thought it would take to complete. The section has been lifted and when the weather breaks we will cap it with proper finishing material. Athough rough, it is now passable in 2WD and we are hauling logs through there again. Happy hunting!