PDA

View Full Version : Shared Moose LEH/Spike Fork Question

ARC
09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Sorry if this has been asked already, I haven't seen it.

I have a shared bull moose LEH for the East Kootenays. Spike fork bulls are open at the same time. My question is, do spike forks count towards the groups 2 bull allocation?

For example, 3 of us are going over and we are permitted 2 bulls. If we drop 2 bulls, can the third guy stick around and hunt for a spike fork? The way I see it, anyone in the Province with a moose tag can harvest one, so someone shouldn't be prevented from harvesting one simply because they drew an LEH.

On the flip side, what if the spike-fork is the first bull harvested. I am guessing it would have to count towards the 2 bull allocation and just because they are open to everyone, it can't act as a freebie.

So it all depends on the sequence in which they are harvested?

Steeleco
09-22-2011, 06:31 PM
The LEH is for bulls not immies. If two bulls get shot by two of the group normally you'd be done hunting bulls. But if the thrid member finds an immy he's free to shoot it and cut his tag. No different than if he was to find an immy 2 weeks after your group trip was over. Tag in pocket he's good to go.

steel_ram
09-22-2011, 06:33 PM
If you don't need an LEH then why would it matter, however, who ever shoots the spike bull is done as far as moose hunting goes. No one is allowed to shoot two moose in the province in one season.

coach
09-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Also, if one of your group shoots an immy first, it doesn't need to be recorded on your LEH shared hunt authorization. That hunter may not hunt or shoot a bull, but can assist the others when the time comes to pack a theirs out.

Jelvis
09-22-2011, 06:38 PM
What happens if two of the team of three hunters can't make it because one has a work related injury and the other has family problems.

ARC
09-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Also, if one of your group shoots an immy first, it doesn't need to be recorded on your LEH shared hunt authorization. That hunter may not hunt or shoot a bull, but can assist the others when the time comes to pack a theirs out.

That's what I was getting at. So they really are a freebie as far as the shared hunt allocation is concerned.

Jelvis
09-22-2011, 06:42 PM
What happens if all three hunters are hunting apart and each see a 3by2 point bull moose?
Sheesh ka bob.

coach
09-22-2011, 06:46 PM
That's what I was getting at. So they really are a freebie as far as the shared hunt allocation is concerned.

You can look at it that way. The regs class spike/fork and "bulls" separately.

Alternatively, you could spend a bunch of time trying to figure out what the heck Jelly is talking about.

reach
09-22-2011, 07:01 PM
I hope these are rhetorical questions... a hunter as experienced as you shouldn't have to ask, right?

What happens if two of the team of three hunters can't make it because one has a work related injury and the other has family problems.The one remaining hunter can take one moose only. If it's a spike fork, he can record it as his LEH bull or not - doesn't matter. If there's any chance the others could hunt later, he'd be better off not recording it as one of the LEH bulls.

What happens if all three hunters are hunting apart and each see a 3by2 point bull moose?"Hunting apart" is a no-no for a shared hunt. All hunters are supposed to remain in communication, to avoid the situation where all three shot a bull without knowing about the others.

If they've agreed in advance that at least one of them is not to shoot a LEH bull under any circumstances while out of communication, then it might be considered OK, though I think the LEH papers specifically state you're supposed to remain in communication... not sure about that. Better not to risk it.

Ignoring the communication issue, all three could shoot their own spike fork (3x2 qualifies) individually, and none would need to be recorded as an LEH bull.

Jelvis
09-22-2011, 07:19 PM
A spike fork is any bull moose right? Or is it not?

whitetail2009
09-22-2011, 07:31 PM
i agree with Jelvis an immie or spike fork is considered a male moose with antlers, so it would be considered a bull moose. my leh from 2008 says bull moose, any antler configuration, has this changed?

Jelvis
09-22-2011, 07:35 PM
A spike/fork is a bull moose all the time.

coach
09-22-2011, 07:40 PM
In the region of the OP's draw - he doesn't need an LEH for spike/forks. He does need an LEH for a bull that is bigger than a fork. He doesn't need to use his LEH to shoot an animal that is GOS. With three guys on a shared hunt, the other two guys are still able to harvest a bull each.

coach
09-22-2011, 07:41 PM
A spike/fork is a bull moose all the time.

Dat is true, Jelly. No dee bait bout dat!

Jelvis
09-22-2011, 07:48 PM
I guess all three hunters on the shared hunt don't have to be hunting all together at one time? You no one fella in the group broke his arm at work and can't shoot with his new cast on his right arm.
What's the difference then in shared and and ahhhh group man so many scenarios.
That's why I hunt gos.
Jel .. One guy broke his arm just b4 the hunt and now can I take someone else?

coach
09-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Group means everyone in the group is authorized. 3 guys. 3 ani mules. 4 guys - 4 ani mules. Shared is 2 guys one ani mule. 3 or 4 guys - two ani mules. Don't brake your arm or you'll miss out on the hunt.

Jelvis
09-22-2011, 08:10 PM
So if buddy can't come because he dislocated his hip in a work related accident a week before the hunt, can another hunter fill in? Or would that be like not a good thing to do cuz udderz mite tink he was cheatin by doin diz stuff, but he was just coming along hunting like any udder cowboy? Just hunting deer and got a spikefork tag in my wallet too pard. Buddy broke his wrist last week remember? Yah hah!
Jel Talk @ Me qwik ... Just like huntin, whads wrong wit dat? hic, ah hic dang higupz