PDA

View Full Version : Broadhead Target

RoscoeP
09-22-2011, 03:00 PM
So last week I put a Fuse quiver on my Maxxis 31 and bought some G5 Montec 100 gr broadheads. I have been shooting radial-X-weave arrows with good success but thought I should get some higher quality arrows with a bit more weight for hunting. I ordered a dozen Carbon Express Maxima hunters(I think they are called) So now I will need a broadhead target.
I have a Bulldog target but it is only for field and target points. Any good brands out there that you would recommend and have experience with?
Thanks for any input. Cheers Roscoe

Bowzone_Mikey
09-22-2011, 03:42 PM
... Rinehart .....
Morrels yellow jacket
(cant recall the brand) new Green target is decent

or build your own ..... 2" rigid foam insulation stacked about 8 high works great (2 sheets cut into 2' sections and stacked ...fasten with duct tape)
big bag o rags
cardboard box ... with rags, or line with garbage bag ... fill with sprayfoam ...monofoam etc....
the list can go on and on

Mountaintop
09-22-2011, 04:11 PM
I found that a couple bales of compressed peat moss work well for me. I shoot 125 gr Montecs from an Excalibur crossbow. Bales can be rotated and the holes on the plastic wrap can be fixed with some duct tape when they get too big. When it is too much to fix dump it in the garden. It's about $7-10 per bale. One tip for Montecs is to push the arrow through and not try to pull it out or the head will rip up the bales.

blackwater moose
09-22-2011, 04:12 PM
wouldn't the broadheads rip the target to pieces?

Ike
09-22-2011, 04:23 PM
The Rhinehart 18-1 is a great target but mine didn't last a year shooting Montecs. The bh pulls out chunks of the target when arrows are removed, the outside is still ok but the center core is gone. Works fine for field points still and I filled the center with foam and old clothes to keep shooting the broadheads.

Next Rinehart I get will have the replaceable core

Cheers

Bowzone_Mikey
09-23-2011, 09:16 AM
the 18-1 has a one year warrantee .... you shoot it out ...it will be replaced

RoscoeP
09-23-2011, 06:24 PM
I will only use it to tune my broadheads so not sure how many shots that will take. I will still do most of my practice with field points on my other target or at the range. So hopefully it will last 3 or 4 years? I just won't go out and assume the broadheads will fly the same. The last thing I want to see is an animal running off wounded to die a slow death.

Ike
09-26-2011, 02:06 PM
the 18-1 has a one year warrantee .... you shoot it out ...it will be replaced

I think the warranty is if you shoot all 18 faces out within a year, I have lots of faces left but a hollow core. It still works great for field points and a little spray foam or such will keep it running for a long time.

From the good things I hear about their customer relations I would likely get a replacement if I took it to them, but it still has lots of life left in the faces.

Cheers

RoscoeP
09-26-2011, 04:08 PM
I bought a Morrells Yellow Jacket on the weekend, havn't tried it yet. Somebody at the store had shot it 4 times, but that got me a nice discount. Cheers

greybark
09-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Hey RoscoeP , Using a file take the sharp edge off each blade . Penitration is reduced bt 50-60% with relatively easy pullout . Target will last a lot longer .
Cheers

RoscoeP
09-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Hey RoscoeP , Using a file take the sharp edge off each blade . Penitration is reduced bt 50-60% with relatively easy pullout . Target will last a lot longer .
Cheers
Hey thanks for that, G5 used to make a practice set of blades, duller and easier to pull out but other than that flew the same, can't seem to find any this year. I think they were abit cheaper too. Cheers Roscoe

Bow Walker
09-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Try these guys - they're really good for buying over the internet.

http://www.grouseriver.com/G5_Montec_Pre_Season_p/arc-000316.htm