PDA

View Full Version : Wells Grey Park and protection rifle

russm86
09-22-2011, 09:56 AM
So, my gf wants to go hiking around Wells Grey Park this weekend and I beleive some areas, not sure if all or what areas, of Wells Grey have grizzlies so I was thinking of packing a rifle or 12 ga for predator defense. I looked in the regs and the "hunting in parks" pamphlet and from what I see packing a rifle and even hunting in most of the park is acceptable, 3-39,3-40,3-46, except for one management unit right in the middle. 3-45 where it says "hunting and discharge of firearms is prohibited" I assume this means for any purpose. But I figured I'd see if anyone has any other knowledge or input on this matter. Again for protection purposes only, I would assume that still applies? Therefor most I can use is bearspray depending on what areas exactly we go into...

finngun
09-22-2011, 10:00 AM
national parks-- no carry firearms--- not even for protections..bearspray--sledge hammer okay..

new hunter
09-22-2011, 10:00 AM
no idea about the legality , but i think a short barreled 12g with side foling stock could hide ina back pack

Angus
09-22-2011, 10:03 AM
national parks-- no carry firearms--- not even for protections..bearspray--sledge hammer okay..

I'm pretty sure Wells Gray is a Provincial Park. But you're correct about our National parks and firearms restrictions.

russm86
09-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Finn, I know what you are referring to I remember that being the case too. But Not sure if wells gray is a national park or just provincial though as Wells Gray is listed in the "Hunting in BC Parks" Booklet here is the link http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/PARKS_HUNT.pdf It is on the second page at the top right hand column. So according to this I can carry and even hunt in three of the 4 zones that make up wells gray. But the one zone as i said says no hunting or discharge of firearms. So i assume this is for protection purposes as well.

MB_Boy
09-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Finn, I know what you are referring to I remember that being the case too. But Not sure if wells gray is a national park or just provincial though as Wells Gray is listed in the "Hunting in BC Parks" Booklet here is the link http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/PARKS_HUNT.pdf It is on the second page at the top right hand column. So according to this I can carry and even hunt in three of the 4 zones that make up wells gray. But the one zone as i said says no hunting or discharge of firearms. So i assume this is for protection purposes as well.

Wells is definitely Provincial and NOT National. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/wells_gry/

skibum
09-22-2011, 10:46 AM
I have hiked the park alot. You may look like a freek if you are doing some of the more popular trails carrying a gun, and you would probably not run into any G-bears. If you are doing a week long hike into the back, I would just be a bit inconspicuous with the gun lower down. If you are doing day trips, you are most likely just going to run into blackies - the spray will suffice. Personally I don't think there are a lot of g-bear sightings by the everday hiker in the park

ryanb
09-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Once again, someone uses an Internet hunting forum for legal advice and gets all kind of ridiculous answers. Wells gray is provincial, open to hunting. You may carry a firearm if you are hunting, during an open season for which you are licensed to participate in.

Concealing a firearm is a federal offense new hunter.

If you're not hunting, I recommend bear spray. Effective, lighter, less bulky and you can rest easy about the law.

Banjo
09-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Once again, someone uses an Internet hunting forum for legal advice and gets all kind of ridiculous answers. Wells gray is provincial, open to hunting. You may carry a firearm if you are hunting, during an open season for which you are licensed to participate in.

Concealing a firearm is a federal offense new hunter.

If you're not hunting, I recommend bear spray. Effective, lighter, less bulky and you can rest easy about the law.

Way to cut through the BS!

dana
09-22-2011, 04:19 PM
RyanB is correct but also incorrect. While you can hunt in many portions of Wells Gray, MU 3-45 (which is mainly highcountry and a Wildlife Conservatory) is off limits to the discharge of firearms as the OP indicated. Popular hiking areas in this MU are the Trophy Mountains and Battle Mountain. Yes, grizzlies do inhabit these areas. In the history of Wells Gray Park, there has never been a bad grizzly incident. A firearm is not likely needed. 3-46 is open to the discharge of firearms and actually has open hunting seasons including LEH. If you are hiking in this MU, you can freely pack a firearm after Sept 20th.