PDA

View Full Version : Make that 3 bull elk within 400 yards. Now I really love the North.

squeege
09-21-2011, 08:42 PM
So I posted this thread

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?71537-2-Bull-Elk-400-yards-apart-10min-from-my-house.-God-I-love-the-North.

earlier on in September thinking it was quite remarkable, however now its just unbelievable.

My buddy came up from Vancouver to hunt elk and moose for a week and believe me he has had a curse from the elk gods for over 10 years. So on the first morning out hunting, we started walking from the truck and hear three bulls bugling in my secret spot. We start working our way towards the closest one and get him to come in to within about 75 yards however he wont' show himself and he winds us so off he goes. So we try for the second bull but find out someone else is going after him so we go back to the one we just spooked and try to sneak closer into him. Well we get to within 150yards and find him right in the open so my buddy gives him what for but it must have been destiny as he misses him and he runs off.

The next day we come back to the spot and hear a few distant bugles but no one answers so we go to my secret spot where I shot my bull a few weeks ago and also shot a bull last year and see 4 cows and a calf. One cow was smelling the remnants of the gut pile left by my bull a few weeks back, which I though was weird. Anyways, it was getting later in the morning so we decided to leave them alone and come back the next morning at first light.

THe next dmorning we head in before daylight and get about halfway and hear a bugle coming from the secret spot, so we hightail it and get down into the meadow as fast and quiet as we can. We follow the same rhino track from hauling out my Bull and see a cow aabout 100 yards away and hear a bugle and come the bull. Hes chasing the cow and oblivious to us so I tell my buddy to wait for a perfect shot opportunity. We wait about 1 or 2 minutes and then the bull stops and buddy shoots and drops it in its tracks.http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN4791.JPG (javascript:;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCN4789.JPG (javascript:;)

So we take the required first bull elk pictures and start to head out with the elk in the rhino and buddy says "I lost my camera" so back we go to look for it, but to no avail. So a few days later we head back to the spot and sure enough we find his camera on the trail. Double sweet.

So now that is 3 bull elk all within 400 yards. My buddys elk and my elk were within 100yards of each other about 2 weeks apart. Pretty wicked.

ianwuzhere
09-21-2011, 09:08 PM
wow, looks like a solid elk.. now all we need is the gps coordinates ;)
congrats.. definately one of them spots you dont tell people about...i love it when the elk polish up the tips and get that ivory look on their antler...

ELK Seeker
09-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Beautiful lookin bull.

moose2
09-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Nice looking bull is that the same one he shot earlier in the week.
Mike

fearnodeer
09-22-2011, 05:53 AM
Nice bull, did he shoot him in the neck/ear ?

pg83
09-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Sounds like you got yourself a good spot. Congrats on another elk down. Love the ivory tips.

Sprig
09-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Great bull , congrats.

rcar
09-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Outstanding bull & apparentely...an outstanding spot too. WTG.

bearhunter338-06
09-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Can I come up and visit you elk spot.............:-)

adamgarbett
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
congrats. that make the drive home to van well worth it. every time he is getting tired just look in the rear view mirror see's his trophy and hammer down. good on you for helping your buddy break the curse!

markt308
09-22-2011, 10:20 AM
nice lookin bull and congrats on some serious success so far!

squeege
09-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Nice bull, did he shoot him in the neck/ear ?
I call it the Prespatou shoulder shot. Aimed for the shoulder and hit it right between the eyes. I would say he was a bit shakey but we only had a offhand shot as the grass/brush was too tall.

pappy
09-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Nice planning and patience, all paid off in the end:)

yota
09-22-2011, 01:36 PM
great to see another fantastic bull even when it seems to be harder then usuall year for everyone congrats.

lovemywinchester
09-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Great bull and how lucky are you to be able to hunt with a legend like Ron Jeremy.

squeege
09-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Great bull and how lucky are you to be able to hunt with a legend like Ron Jeremy.

Last year Ron and I traded moose for beaver and this year elk for a movie deal.

d6dan
09-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Nice bull for your buddy squeege..Lucky buggers!:shock:. You have a great Hunnyhole..Congrats..:-D