PDA

View Full Version : BC Boys NWT Dall Sheep Adventure

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Disclaimer: While this hunt took place in the NWT, the participants were 100% pure British Columbian!

Warning: Fairly lengthy.

To properly set the stage for the story, we need to go back to April of this year.

My notoriously healthy 74 year-old father suffered a major heart attack. While the hospital staff had been able to stabilize dad, his heartbeat was very irregular and weak. Weak...a four letter word he has always despised. While dad was initially vehemently opposed, the decision to install a pacemaker was negotiated.

"Well now I'm f*cked...I can't do a thing!" dad would complain for weeks afterward. "I'm not allowed to weld...I have this g*ddamn thing in my chest...I won't be able to hunt..."

"Yes, but you're alive." myself, or my brother, or my sister or my mother would always remind him.

"Right." He would snap back.

Fast-forward to June and dad was recovering nicely. Despite the protests of physicians and family, he went on a couple of short fishing trips to Kitimat, however as he would frequently put it: "I'm walking fish bait...I'm not the man I was...I'm a p*ssy."

Fast-forward to August 5th and I had returned from a successful archery Stone's hunt. A couple days after my return home, a buddy from town (one Johnny Nikirk) who is guiding for an outfitter in the NWT contacted me via email: "Gratz on the Stone! Now come up here and smash a huge Dall. We have an opening and you should come!"

Having preconceptions and opinions regarding guided hunting, I dismissed the idea: I didn't need a guide to get my animals! Furthermore, while a Dall hunt would certainly be fun, a more practical and domestic mind could translate the cost of said hunt into new hardwood flooring, new granite countertops, some new appliances, or one heck of a round-the-world vacation...so, it was out of the question anyhow.

However...I wondered if my dad would be up for it.

With full disclosure regarding my father (i.e. relatively recent heart attack and pacemaker) I discussed the details with the outfitter: Mr. Stan Simpson of Ram Head Outfitters. In a vigorous ping-pong of emails I peppered Stan with numerous questions, and with each response, my confidence in his operation grew.

The timing was tight: the hunt would be during the first week of September - just three weeks away! After much discussion and debate, my brother and I decided that dad deserved to go on a hunt like this (even if he just got to sightsee and breathe the air) and my brother and I would split the bill. Prepared for the onslaught, I broached the subject with our dad. His reply was as expected:

"You're going to pay for me to hunt! You think just because you killed some poor lamb with your bow, you need to buy me a f*cking sheep? What's a matter with you?"

If you haven't figured it out already, my father is a soft-spoken and seldom tells you what he thinks!

Predictably, he lambasted me with a history lesson on the animals he had hunted, where he had hunted them, and how much harder it was to hunt them in his day...

As he educated me, I drew his attention to the photo gallery on the Ram Head Outfitters website, showing him images of rams taken in prior years.

"You believe everything you see on that internet? J*sus C*rist..." he shot as he stomped out of my office.

To my surprise, he entered my office the very next morning, asking a number of questions that sounded suspiciously like he was interested in the hunt!

"I'm leaving tomorrow for fishing. Investigate that hunt and make sure it's not bullsh*t! I'll be back in a week." dad growled through his thick Bosnian accent.

He added one more thing before leaving my office, "If I go for a sheep, we both go for a sheep...figure it out."

I was now saddled with worry over the momentum of the ball that I had started rolling: three weeks to prepare a 74 year-old for a Dall's hunt in the NWT? What had I done...

Fast-forward to August 26th, 11am-ish as we were leaving home ("Six f*cking hours late...") with a 2,000 or so km drive ahead of us. As the kilometres clicked by, my concerns grew: Would dad be up to the task? What if the strain was too much for him? Would I be able to forgive myself?

Dad too, had his own list of concerns:

"They took a lot of rams last year...what if all the good ones are gone?"
"Why didn't you bring your Sauer? That new gun you bought has plastic parts..."
"Why did you bring that bow? J*sus..."
"We should have brought some good wine. Why didn't you bring wine?"
"Since when do Germans build guns with plastic parts?"
"J*sus C*rist...it's just a dirt road, not a swamp. You can do 100 easy. I should drive."
"We are probably going to be the last sheep hunters there. There won't be much left."
"When I bought that Sauer I gave you, Germans were smarter. They knew all gun parts should be made out of metal. That's okay, you can use my gun..."

Two...thousand...

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8270087.jpg

...one-hundred...

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8270120.jpg

...and fifty-three kilometers...

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8270144.jpg

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Touching down at base camp, it's all hugs, high-5's and "F*ck yeahs!" between Johnny and I. What once was a hopeful suggestion is now getting real: he gets to guide two hometown boys for Dall's sheep, and potentially my second thinhorn for the season.

Fast-forward to August 29th. With a very early start, we slowly but steadily march our way into the steep alpine..

"You guys go ahead...I will catch up." dad offered at an early point in the ascent.

"Serge..." Johnny gently dictated, "...we have all day and there is no rush. We go when you are ready."

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8310294.jpg

Having privately discussed a number of game plans and the potential issues, Johnny and I were as prepared as possible (sat phone, first aid kit, nitro sublingual tablets...) for the eventualities of bringing my dad into sheep country.

At about the half-way point of the climb, it was evident that dad was tired. Sweating and a bit pale, he sat down and took deep breaths.

"We're both tired too Serge..." Johnny consoled as he nodded in my direction.

"Tired? You are both young? When I was your age I would eat this mountain." dad spat as he stood up.

"You are p*ssies. F*ck this mountain!" he scolded before marching ahead.

Johnny and I shared a silent, hysterical laugh. For the remainder of the trip when we encountered an obstacle or injury, this was our mantra: "You are p*ssy. F*ck this mountain!".

Fast-forward to 12:50 pm, August 29th, 2011: we have found our ram!

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8280179.jpg

As we break over the last and highest ridge separating us from the looming mountain ahead, we spot a lone Dall ram feeding his way up the mountain to his little bungalow. Inspection reveals that he is old and heavily broomed on both sides.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8280184.jpg

In his current position, and over 1,400 yards away from us, the ram is very safe. While I would happily cross a couple of kilometers and over 2,000 verticle feet to attempt a death-from-above, this is simply not an option for dad.

After a careful and lengthy examination of the terrain and every reasonable means of approach and concealment, there is only one viable option: wait for our ram to get hungry and move on him when he returns to feed on the lush benches below.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8280196.jpg

In the days preceding our arrival, the weather in the area had been characterized by frequent bouts of heavy rain and stiff, cold wind. However on this particular day bad weather was on vacation:

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8280177.jpg

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:30 PM
The skies were virtually clear, the wind was light and did not put us at a disadvantage, and the sun showered us with welcomed warmth. This was very fortunate as it took over five hours for the ram to decide he was hungry again: the hunt was now on!

Working his way down the mountain from his perch, the ram was focused on feeding. This gave us the opportunity to move stealthily down our parallel slope to our a destination: a bench opposite the area that we hoped the ram would stop to feed.

In the excitement, Johnny and I set a fierce pace as we aggressively descended over 1,000 vertical feet...and dad was right there with us.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8280199.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8280202.jpg

As we approached the lip of the bench, dad whispered to me nervously: "I can't shoot. My heart is beating too fast. You have to shoot."

I calmly told him "Your heart is beating fast because you're about to shoot a Dall sheep!" Nonetheless I offered, "But I'll setup beside you with my rifle just in case."

Throwing my rifle a quick, disdainful glance, he continued on as if to say "With that rifle? Nevermind..."

At times, I thought we were busted, however Johnny carefully orchestrated our moves. At his command we would lie deathly still. Then, when the ram was feeding or descending, we would scuttle to the next bit of cover. All the while, I ranged our target with my Geovids as the ram and our party moved closer to one another: 1,120, 932, 748, 670...

At about 500 yards, Johnny instructed to my father to insert his clip of three 180 grain Weatherby 300 magnum bullets (subtlety has never been one of dad's strengths) into his Sauer 90, to chamber a round and engage the safety.

As I watched him go through the motions of slipping the clip (engineered by Germans and constructed of actual metal) into the rifle, cycling the silky smooth action of the bolt, chambering a round, and clicking on the safety, my dad gave me a wink: dad knew this rifle...they had been hunting together for over 20 years, and the walls of his sprawling rancher attested to their combined effectiveness. The image of the frail, old man lying in ICU with upteen wires connecting him to various beeping monitors was fading.

We reached the concealment of the bench's lip just as the ram reached the lowest part of his ascent and stopped to feed on the surrounding bushes. A wide and deep trench separated us and we could not get any closer, just as the ram could not get any lower. I was shocked at the synchronicity.

Quickly, Johnny ushered dad to a spot to the right of him and told him to setup. However for a second time, dad hesitated: "My heart is beating too fast...one of you has to shoot..."

Turning to dad, Johnny commanded the situation and stated fact: "Serge...you're f*cking shooting that ram."

"Right." dad replied.

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Flipping out his bipod and removing the bikini cover from the Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x56 he'd received as a Christmas present from us a couple years back, dad settled in.

"Range?" dad whispered.

"370." I told him. Moving his hand to the ballistic turret of his scope, dad turned the knob to the yellow dot (400 yards), thoughtfully turned it back two clicks, and then pushed his trigger forward into its set-trigger position. While he knew that at this range, fine-tuning with the flat-shooting 300 Weatherby was not entirely necessary, I was pleased with his composure.

I slid into position at Johnny's left. My 300 win R8 is not equipped with a bipod and Johnny hastily flipped his Kuiu Icon 6000 on edge to serve as a shooting rest. As I struggled to find a stable position against the angled surface of the pack and gain a sight picture, the ram cam into view in my scope: he was aware of our movement and was fixated on our position.

I jacked the straight-pull bolt of my rifle, however the sloping edge of the pack made for an unsteady shooting platform. Suddenly, the ram moved broadside to the left from behind the bush and was in the clear.

"Take him!" Johnny whispered.

However as suddenly as the ram had stepped into the clear, he spun and moved directly away as though he was going to run. Then, the ram moved to the right and again turned broadside to get another look at our position.

Frustrated, I struggled to gain a steady sight picture of the ram...

BOOM - while I was seeking the target, dad and his Sauer had long since been there.

The ram buckled, toppled and then struggled to its feet.

"Reload. Hit him again." Johnny said mechanically.

BOOM - even at a distance of 400 yards I could hear the impact as dad's second bullet ended any discomfort the ram might have been experiencing.

There was a couple seconds of silence, which ended abruptly as Johnny burst into cheer and tackled my dad: "You're a f*cking assassin! You did it! Nice shooting!"

Getting a 74 year-old, recent heart-attack victim with a pace-maker, a Dall's sheep was a tall order to fill...and now the pressure was off!

One of these is an old warrior who has seen many battles...the other, is an old warrior who has seen many battles:

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8280233.jpg

The estimated 12-year old ram was heavily broomed on both sides, with a deep crack and fissure running up the length of his left horn. His pronounced Roman nose gave further evidence to the many clashes this ram had endured. Also of note, the ram was missing several of his front lower teeth, and caping revealed he had little in the way of excess body fat. There is a certain satisfaction that comes from the knowledge that you have spared an old animal the discomfort of suffering through a fatal winter. Instead, the ram will have a cozy perch above the hearth in dad's home.

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Fast-forward to August 31st and a thrill rushes through me as I enjoy the walk to the idling chopper that waits to whisk me to another location for my Dall hunt, while dad relaxes at base camp.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/heli3.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/heli1.jpg

Fast-forward to early morning September 1st as Johnny and I are stare through his spotting scope at a distant group of five rams. Swiftly we worked our way up the slope opposite the rams and made use of the sparse foliage to conceal our movements as we attempted to close the gap and get a proper look at them.

At a distance of just over a mile, we were close enough to observe the rams as they fed on the lush mountainside. As he checked each ram, Johnny finally settled on one. He paused to look at me, and then looked through the spotting scope again.

"Okay...umm...have a look at this one..." Johnny said as he moved aside.

As I peered through his Swarovski 65mm spotter, I reminded Johnny that he needed to upgrade to an HD version. I watched as the large bodied Dall fed broadside to me, his head turned into the hillside.

"Can you see him? Are you still on him?" Johnny asked.

"Yeah..." I replied, "...but he's at a bad angle...I can't get a good look at his curls..."

"Wait for it...wait for it..." Johnny murmured.

Then, the ram turned his head in my direction and I was now able to get a good look at him.

"Oh..." I offered.

"Oh? You looking at the right ram? I was expecting a better reaction..." Johnny seemed disappointed.

"I was going to say, oh my!" I chuckled and then took a few moments to carefully study the other four rams and the surrounding landscape. Fives pairs of roving eyes and the wide open terrain made a successful bow stalk highly unlikely.

Making my decision I turned to Johnny and asked, "You know what that is?"

"A dead ram?" Johnny returned without missing a beat, having read my mind.

"Yep...guess I packed some dead weight..." I stated as I looked down at my bow.

"You sure?" Johnny pressed.

Was I sure? On a practical level yes. However on a spiritual level, definitely not. I prefer to bow hunt. The satisfaction I get from a stealthy stalk, a well placed shot, pass-through, and a fast clean kill is otherwise unobtainable. Had I not already taken a beautiful Stone's sheep in August in that manner, I probably would have given it a shot, so to speak.

Some say, "They all look the same hanging on the wall." I would say to everyone else but yourself, perhaps. However the way the hunt lingers in your memory is entirely a different matter.

Nonetheless, the pragmatist in me won that day, and the poet can whine about it for some time to come...

"Yeah, I'm sure. That ram is definitely coming home with me."

"F*ck yeah man..." Johnny offered his clenched fist.

"F*ck yeah!" I punched it hard.

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Shedding layers in anticipation of the gruelling climb ahead, I removed the archery release from my wrist and affixed it to my Destroyer 350. I could conduct a formal inquiry into whether or not I made the right decision later. As to the immediate task at hand, Johnny and I had to descend over 1,000 feet to the valley floor and then ascend over 2,000 vertical feet up the opposing slope in very short order. We had to ensure that we gained a manageable position before the rams broke over the ridge, and onto the wide open face of the mountain. If that happened, we would be hard pressed to close within 500 yards of the five sets of sharp eyes.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/ridge3.jpg

The pace was a flat-out sprint. At 5'7" and scarcely 130 pounds, Johnny moved with an effortless gait, one which my 6'3", 215 pound frame struggled to maintain. Johnny's occasional interjections of "You are p*ssy. F*ck this moutain!" provided the motivation I needed. We worked hard but also had a blast as we cracked jokes back and forth, mostly at the other's expense.

Hardly resting during the entire ascent, we reached our desired location in a time that Johnny was impressed with. More relevant than breaking some non-existent record, we managed to gain a position above the target ridge, downwind of the rams, well before they fed over it.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/ridge1.jpg

"Drop your pack." Johnny commanded. "Full rain gear." He added.

While the sky was now clear, a dark wall of storm clouds had materialized and was heading our way, right behind the rams.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8310299.jpg

Ushering me to stay put, Johnny pressed himself against the mossy mountainside and crept forward to the all-important ridge. Clearly aware of something, he stayed deathly still for an indeterminate amount of time before coming back.

"Eyes just below us. Our ram is feeding this way but he's over 500 yards away. He's way behind them. If they see us, he's gone." Johnny warned.

The countdown had begun:

"Get your gun ready...this will happen quick." Johnny informed me.

Having left my bow with my pack, I went through the motions of preparing my new, and thus far, unproven Blaser R8. In fact I had only fired seven shots through it since acquiring it late in July.

"How are you feeling?" Johnny whispered.

"Fantastic..." I responded.

"Make sure that Hubble telescope of yours isn't set too high..." Johnny teased.

"Yeah, yeah..." I shot back.

"How many in the clip?" Johnny quizzed me.

"Three." I hushed.

"Hmmm...got any more? I've seen you shoot..." The ball-breaking continued.

"F*ck you..." I smiled.

"Okay, stay right behind me." Johnny turned and pointed directly behind himself.

"Yep..." I nodded.

"When I stop...you stop..." he continued.

"Oookay." I whispered.

"One wrong move, if one of those other rams sees us, they're gone..." Johnny motioned below.

I nodded in acknowledgement as I stared at rams #1 and #2, partially visible some 400 yards away, feeding intently below us.

As we crept further along the steep mountainside, Johnny again turned and looked me square in the eye, "This is a great ram...one of the best I've seen all season..."

"Really?" I asked.

"Really...so try not to f*ck it up..." he smiled as he turned away to lead us closer to the all important ridge.

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Now, merely a couple of steps away from the ridge, Johnny turned to me one final time and whispered "He's in the draw on the other side of that ridge, feeding towards us. I'll range for you. He's all yours buddy."

As I peered over the ridge, the vast draw opened up before me and filled my view. I could see ram #3 feeding below and to the right, near the bottom of the draw, and my ram was working his way down the opposite side of the draw towards them. That accounted for four of the five rams...where was ram #4?

"480..." Johnny ranged with my Geovids.

Unable to lie prone, I struggled to find a comfortable position.

"450..." Johnny continued ranging.

Finally managing to put together something of a shooting position, I turned my Swarovski Z6 onto my ram as he strolled downward and to the right. At a sharp down-angle and just over 400 yards away, I took the measure of his widely flared and unbroomed tips, the right one nearly horizontal.

"420..." Johnny counted down...

Suddenly the wind picked up, and though still in our favour, it now carried heavy flakes of snow - the looming storm now engulfed us.

My heart pounded and I could see the effect as my reticle kicked up and then drifted down.

"370..."

I was mesmerized by the sight of the magnificent Dall within my riflescope. As I tried to command the moment, I was still overwhelmed by the coolness of it all: I had a bonafide twister in my sights.

"350..."

As the ram approached the bottom of the draw, the angle grew even steeper and I again struggled to find a comfortable shooting position.

"320...take him when you can..." Johnny whispered, his voice tense.

The wind intensified as did the snow - why now?!?! I said to myself in disbelief.

Then I noticed something that I hadn't noticed before: there was another small ridge below us that obscured the area at the bottom of the draw, precisely where my ram was headed. While I could see a gravelly horizontal strip at the base of the opposing slope, a few feet more in our direction and the small ridge blocked the view.

Worse yet, ram #3 had fed to a distance barely 200 yards away. Meanwhile ram #4, which had been hidden by the same problematic slope, had now worked its way upslope, to the left at a distance of about 300 yards. We were pinned.

I settled into my position and reacquired the ram.

"Range?" I asked.

"300..." Johnny whispered.

Now angling slightly to the left, my ram was nearing the bottom of the draw; 25 maybe 30 more yards and it would be out of sight. Did I risk shooting now...essentially an overhead, frontal shot? Did I wait to see where the ram might reappear? What if ram #3 or #4 spotted us and they all spooked? What if...

BOOM! I fired. Sometimes...thinking is overrated:

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8310307.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8310308.jpg

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:36 PM
As quickly as the storm had rolled in, it vaporized. Instead, we were treated to a picturesque blue sky, filled with puffy clouds and a bright warm sun as we enjoyed fresh brewed coffee while we caped-out the ram.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8310387.jpg

Johnny insisted that, as my guide, it was his professional duty to pack-out the cape and head. And while I felt as though he was dancing a little too closely with my prom date, the walk-out was 100% pure awesome-sauce:

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8310298.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8310323.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P8310417.jpg

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Fast-forward to September 2nd: Johnny and I have moved a considerable distance and are now atop a vast and highly-elevated plateau.

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P9020531.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P9010501.jpg

I am staggered by the sheer scale of the highland...

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P9020525.jpg

...the uninterrupted steepness of the terrain...

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P9020534.jpg

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:37 PM
...and the abundance of cariboo...

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P9020517.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/cariboo2.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/cariboo1.jpg

While the weather was clear, the temperature was sub-zero which was amplified by a sharp, ceaseless wind.

Not wanting to press our luck with the weather, we took advantage of the favourable conditions and scoured the landscape looking for a choice bull.

Rubberfist
09-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Ultimately, I settled on one that had a good bit of everything:

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P9020554.jpg

What had started out as an improbable suggestion, turned out to be a nice little adventure.
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P9020556.jpg

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P9020555.jpg

With the trip coming to a close, I was already missing the place...

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/rubberfist007/NWT2011/P9020544.jpg

...and looking forward to coming back.

Thanks for reading!

RJ
09-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Awesome story! Congrats on a couple beauty rams.

MB_Boy
09-21-2011, 08:54 PM
HOOOO-LLLLLLly crap Rubberfist!! One of....if not the best tale told on this site yet and I have been here for a LONG time!!

I was laughing and smiling the entire time reading the story and looking at the pics....I love the "ball busting" and "ribbing"!!

Congrats to your Dad and yourself.....absolutely awesome!! 4 thumbs up!!!

Thanks for taking us along....beautiful country, awesome rams, awesome pics....and an awesome story.....just....wow.

Goathunter
09-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Best story I have ever read!

ianwuzhere
09-21-2011, 08:57 PM
wow, looks like a very memorable hunt- good on ya...looks like beautiful country.. great to have good hunts with good company.. wish i could buzz around here in a chopper hehe...
Congrats, thanx for postin, now i wanna go!

d6dan
09-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Fantastic story and pictures!!. Beauty Rams and Caribou. Congrats all around!!!!:-D:-D:-D

Tikka270wsm
09-21-2011, 09:03 PM
That is an absolutely EPIC story you just told there! Thank you so much for putting in so much time and effort into this thread. Congrats to you and your father on your successfull hunts as well as sharing an incredible adventure together. Best thread I've read on HBC by far!

bigwhiteys
09-21-2011, 09:05 PM
That was awesome... Congrats to you and your Dad.

Carl

goathead
09-21-2011, 09:08 PM
great story.thats what its all about well done

olharley guy
09-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Howdy, that was a great story -brings back lots of old memories-congrats to the old fellow for a job well done and to you to.LOL Later

popsy
09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
great hunt with excellent results. story and pictures , incredible

ELK Seeker
09-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Thank you for the great read. Enjoy those beautiful animals you guys worked so hard for.

lorneparker1
09-21-2011, 09:23 PM
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae334/zimlear/551f6e41.gif

Unbeleviable story.

I cant even begin to express how that made me felt. and anyone that knows me knows im not the type to get all wrapped up in a story But you sir have a gift.

09-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Since joining this site I have read many a story, some great one's.

But this one is # 1 in my books, congrats to you you DAD ! and buddy for lining it all up for you. Hunting with your Pop's and buddy is some thing you will NEVER forget. What a COOL experience !

Good on your Dad, congratulate the humorous old cuss !

I Loved the read and the PIC'S 2 fantastic RAMS ! Nice Bou Ta BOOT!! Again congrats !

Thanks so much for sharing !

CT

I sure wish I could talk my dad and brother to doing what you guys just did.

Rob
09-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Great Story! Best one Ive read in the 7 years Ive been on this site. Thanx and congrats!

GRIZZEZE
09-21-2011, 09:46 PM
great story, amazing pics, and beautiful rams. Congrats to you and your dad. I don't know many 74 year olds that can go out an get a Dall, amazing determination.

EKMEAT
09-21-2011, 09:48 PM
EPIC!!! Thanks for taking the time...

4 point
09-21-2011, 09:58 PM
This by far the best story ever. It makes us feel like we are right there with you and your dad. Great rams.

Tenacious Billy
09-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Best read on here in quite some time! Congrats on a memorable hunt!!

Ruger4
09-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Life is good !!!
awesome story , thanx for taking the time to share that !!

Downwind
09-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Amazing read! That is a great adventure. Almost felt like I was there. Makes me want to plan my own trip. Congrats on a great hunt.

knockturnal
09-21-2011, 10:33 PM
I think the best part was that it wasent interrupted by ANYONE!! F*cking great thread!!

bruin
09-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Man, that if freekin' awesome! Definitely the best write up on the site. Big congrats to both of you! Your dad is a tough son of a _ _ _ _ _!

Elk-Aholic
09-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Great story and awesome pictures guys! Congrats all around and my hat is off to your Dad and you guys for getting him back in the hills and for him training to be able to put himself into position to harvest a ram. True determination!

silvertipp
09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
what a great read ,the story hits home with me,the health problems , you guys are pussys attitude ,i wish my oldman had one more sheep trip in him after reading that thread but i know what two words he,d have for me
thanks for shareing made me smile & laugh

Looking_4_Jerky
09-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Kick-*ss!!!

thanks!

Bear Chaser
09-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Great story. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Definitely one of the best if not the best hunting story I've read on here.

Congratulations to you & your Dad on a fine adventure.

ovis40
09-22-2011, 01:05 AM
You are so lucky that your dad has a second chance and your dad is lucky to have you! Congrats to you both.The area of Ram Head is such a awesome land....I miss that place.

moose2
09-22-2011, 02:20 AM
Great story and pictures congratulations on a couple great dalls and a nice caribou. The story was written well it was like being there.
Mike

Sprig
09-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Really a great story, love the old warrior look of your dads ram . Congratulations

JohnS
09-22-2011, 06:09 AM
Thats is what I call the Living the Dream awesome story greatly enjoyed it congrats on the success.

Wood butcher
09-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks for sharing, very well written and really entertaining to read.

Congrats to you all on some great animals as well.

pg83
09-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Outstanding! Thank you for taking the time to share your amazing hunting adventure with your family and friend. As many others hava mentioned, this is probably the best story posted on this site. Your dad seriously reminds me of my own! You are p***y f*** this mountain!

Wild Images
09-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Great pics and story , but the best part is taking two great rams with your pop, you can't top that.
Congrats to both of you

WI

ursus
09-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Classic capture of the hunt. One of the best stories I have read in a long time.

Elkaholic
09-22-2011, 06:57 AM
WOW.... What a f*cking story!!! I love that nothing was left out even the language, it really sets the tone of the story to me. Its just how it would be with me and my old man. Great hunt all around and way to get a beauty ram with your dad and for you dad at 74 to bag a hell of a ram with a pacemaker. Great sh!t man.....

Ride Red
09-22-2011, 07:15 AM
I finally had a chance to sit down and read this story. Incredible, is the first word that comes to mind. Beautiful country too. If this was made into a movie, all hunting shows would be obsolete. Very well written. Thanks for sharing.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Hope this one is going to make to print somewhere other than just here.

You tell one helluva a story...not to mention the incredible story-line of getting your Dad a ram long after he'd written himself off.
Congrats to both of you!!

SSS

greenhorn
09-22-2011, 07:50 AM
That was epic!

Good on ya for making it happen for pops!

jrjonesy
09-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Best writing I've ever seen on this site.....and there's been some REALLY good stuff posted. For that matter, better quality writing and story than I've seen in 99% of any published articles. Thanks for putting all the time and effort into the details and taking us along for the ride....just reading it made my day.

And congrats on the great Rams and Caribou!

Fishhound
09-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Good story, great adventure for you and your dad, well done

Rodd
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Un-real adventure! It reminds me so much of my father and I hunting sheep in the mckenzies which was back in the eighties... I was 13 at the time... and remember it like it was yesterday!!! Congrats for getting your Dad out and making it all work out!! Your the man!! haha! Cheers! And what a dandy both rams were!!! Envious is all i can say....

LYKTOHUNT
09-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I am very jealous, in a good way, not for your success with the critters but the fact that you could be with your dad and experience these things with him.My dad is still on this earth but he is not with us Alzheimers is cruel way to go.
Great story and maybe a lesson to do some of these kind of things while you can.

markt308
09-22-2011, 09:37 AM
wow! unreal. thanks for all of that.

rocksteady
09-22-2011, 10:07 AM
I am not a sheep hunter, however your story was incredible...Makes me think twice about becoming a sheep hunter....

You definitely have the knack for telling a great tale of adventure....

As others have said, one of the very best threads I have ever read on this site (or in hunting magazines, for that matter)....

Congrats to you and your father, and a big attaboy to your guide too, for planting the seed...

09-22-2011, 10:50 AM
As others have said, probably the best write-up on this site ever! I love how perfect the ram your Dad got was for him...old and narly! Just incredible.

Canadian Hunter
09-22-2011, 11:15 AM
What a great story definetaly one of the best I ever read. I really enjoyed it because it was like being there and living the hunt. Awesome ram too congrats to you and your father for the hunt. Great job and most especially thanks for sharing!

hillclimber
09-22-2011, 12:02 PM
One of the best stories posted on here! Very well written, thanks for taking the time to write it!!!

09-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Any chance of getting the story on the archery Stone??

Rubberfist
09-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Any chance of getting the story on the archery Stone??

I here is a link to the original post:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?70201-Region-6-Stone-Sheep-archery-double-header.

And thanks for the kind words everyone, I'm glad you found the story and pics entertaining.

09-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Wholly crap, I timed out just looking at and reading page one!
that was awesome. Well wrote and well photographed. Best read in a very long time!

srupp
09-22-2011, 05:46 PM
congradulations to your Dad and his attitude...and for a fine son to dare to achieve the dream..absolutley awesome.....

steven

rocksteady
09-22-2011, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=835;982850]Wholly crap, I timed out just looking at and reading page one!
QUOTE]

That's cause you were running your finger over the screen, and having trouble with the big words...:mrgreen: (See, that's what Rubberfist was talking about ball bustin'):wink:

yugo111
09-22-2011, 06:07 PM
what a hunt that's def one for the books lol nice rams guys and the cariboo wow sound like a unreal trip

greenhorn
09-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Did you get the first ram from your archery trip mounted (the wide one that flares) ?

steepNdeep
09-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Awesome report!! My kid asked my why I was laughin' at my computer screen - your new motto :D Cool to spend some time out there with your dad. My brother I got the bull in my avi with my Dad the year before he died. A memory that I cherish... good call boys!!

Rattler
09-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Great thread, one of the best as many have said....

Congrats to you and your Dad and thanks fore taking the time to post your story with great pics.

Jagermeister
09-22-2011, 07:29 PM
You know, this is one of the best stories, if not the best that I have ever read, here or elsewhere. Your story with the photographs took me right there.
Your dad is a crotchety old shit, you just can't keep crotchety old shits down. Now he'll probably want to go again next year.
Anything hereafter will be anticlimatic.
Thanks for the read.

porcupine
09-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Fantastic story and pictures. I'm very impressed by your old man and you for doing that hunt. Very inspirational.

bruin
09-22-2011, 09:33 PM
The ram your dad took is awesome. I've been back a couple of times to look at it. I love gnarly old sheep like that!

BCrams
09-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Just finished reading the great story!! A great inspiration for many others out there! What an awsome hunt!

kayjayess
09-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Awesome story. awesome hunt. Thanks and congratulations

Rubberfist
09-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Did you get the first ram from your archery trip mounted (the wide one that flares) ?

Yep, the cape is out to the tanner and the horns are resting at my taxidermist...doing a full on the Stone and Dall, plus the cariboo head...the bill will suck but the wall will look good!

RoverHound
09-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Best f*cking post ever. Bar none.

greenhorn
09-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Quote Rubberfist: Yep, the cape is out to the tanner and the horns are resting at my taxidermist...doing a full on the Stone and Dall, plus the cariboo head...the bill will suck but the wall will look good!

Sweet! Please post up some pics when you get it back!!!

Tim
09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Wow! That is definitely one of the best stories I've read in a long time! I'm super happy for your dad that he got his trip and the trophy is an added bonus eh!

Quite the set of memories

vortex hunter
09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Nice hunting trip love the pics THAT would be a fun hunt...Nick

behemoth
09-23-2011, 02:14 PM
If there was a "Best Thread Ever" button, I'd be hitting it right now

TooTall
09-23-2011, 03:46 PM
By far the best story I have read on here thanks for sharing. As I read it felt like I was taking the journey with you.

yama49
09-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Omer
Awesome story and pics. Sounds like by the end of the trip your dad, was glad he went. Super congrats to you and your father...

jason

Superdeuce
09-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Congrats! I really enjoyed reading that. Awesome hunt and incredible sheep but the best trophy from that trip is definitely the life memories you will forever have. A well written, inspiring story like that should be shared in a magazine. You should look into it -seriously. Good job and thanks for taking us along.

mark
09-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Great hunt! And a great story, with a nice assortment of pics to break up the long read!

Buck
09-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Congrats! I really enjoyed reading that. Awesome hunt and incredible sheep but the best trophy from that trip is definitely the life memories you will forever have. A well written, inspiring story like that should be shared in a magazine. You should look into it -seriously. Good job and thanks for taking us along.

With a name like rubberfist and chasing sheep i don't see this story going mainstream...Ouch

Superdeuce
09-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Haha - yeah, it might need some editing if it is going to appear on the cover of Reader's Digest

ElectricDyck
09-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Great read and awesome pics! Hope my kids do the same when I'm that old.

whitetailsheds
09-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Very nice Rubberfist! Thanks for posting...well done!

Freshtracks
09-27-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm not seeing the pics. :( :(

09-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Dude it seriously sucks for you now!
I wonder how band width got exceeded?
You'll have to use your imagination.

BlacktailStalker
09-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Yep no pics...

Caveman
09-27-2011, 05:20 PM

……..and I thought it was just me!

Jelvis
09-27-2011, 05:25 PM
This should be in out of BC hunting section

kootenayelkslayer
09-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Awesome write-up Omar. Congrats again.

kennyj
09-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for sharing your adventure. I really enjoyed it.
kenny

Call of the Wild
09-29-2011, 09:47 PM
That was hardcore, thanks for sharing your amazing hunting adventure. I can't imagine the emotions you guys had up there when your father harvested his old mature ram!!! congrats for your hunt

Allen50
09-29-2011, 10:12 PM
best thing i see in this hunt is dad got to go along with you and have fun as well. great story and nice pic,, all cool thanks for sharing,,,,

Soup
09-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Congrats... Big Time! Nicely Done :-D

VIRuger
09-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Congrats to both of you. Probably the best hunting story I've ever read, anywhere! The pictures you included were awesome. I've been itching to try a sheep hunt and now I really want to go....tomorrow!

Iron Sighted
09-30-2011, 09:12 AM
That was, without a doubt, the BEST hunting story(maybe any story) that I've ever read. You aren't a professional writer by chance are you(maybe you should be), you certainly have a gift. Those anecdotes of your dad were priceless, he sounds like quite the character.

Pretty cool that you talked your dad in to the trip, and then he in turn talked(forced, lol) you in to coming as well, seems it couldn't have turned out any better.

Congrats to you, your father, and your guide, and thanks for taking the time post such a great story and pictures.

BlacktailStalker
09-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Glad the pictures are working now.
Rubebrfist, you didn't miss a thing.
Well told, awesome pictography, unreal rams and to have your dad there, just perfect :cool:

Brett
12-31-2011, 11:17 AM
That was, without a doubt, the BEST hunting story(maybe any story) that I've ever read. You aren't a professional writer by chance are you(maybe you should be), you certainly have a gift. Those anecdotes of your dad were priceless, he sounds like quite the character.

Pretty cool that you talked your dad in to the trip, and then he in turn talked(forced, lol) you in to coming as well, seems it couldn't have turned out any better.

Congrats to you, your father, and your guide, and thanks for taking the time post such a great story and pictures.

X2 couldn't have put it any better! amazing!

IPA
12-31-2011, 12:04 PM
That was one of the best hunting stories i have read and now had the pleasure of hearing in person. It was nice to meet you and your son earlier in the month and hope to hear tales of three generations out hunting in the near future.

TheProvider
12-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Awesome!!!!

bigben
12-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Great story,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good on you guys for getting your father a beauty of a ram ..............AWESOME

cuervosail
01-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Others have said it - I'll echo the comments. This is the BEST tale I've read on this site. Although my dad is about 10 years older than yours and no longer hunts, so many of those comments on your drive north could've been uttered by my father. I lived in the NWT for 27 years and now that I've been gone from there for a few years, one of my greatest regrets is never getting over to the Mackenzie Mountains for a Dall's Sheep hunt. Congratulations and thanks!

Timberman
01-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Rubberfist,
What camo are you wearing

lorneparker1
01-02-2012, 06:27 PM
http://kuiu.com/

ydouask
01-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Holy Smokes ... missed this post back in Sept. Sure am glad I saw it last evening and waited till this morning when I had time to read it slowly and savour each picture and line. Your and your Dad's is just an excellent story, and well written too ! Congratulations !

CNE
01-03-2012, 09:00 PM
awesome story!

REMINGTON JIM
01-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Absolutley one of the very best stories i have read- your dad is amazing- good on him-nice ram too ! one tough old bast*rd ! - not pussy ! :-D LOL and you with your beauty ram and boo - great - awesome - a dream for most people ! :mrgreen:

Moose63
01-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Great thread Rubberfist! I enjoyed more because of what you did for your father.

The Silent Stalker
01-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Unbelievable story and pics, thanks. I laughed, I cried, it became a part of me. It's an unbelievable thing you did for your father, truly touching story. The photos are great, thanks for sharing. This was one of the best thread I have read to date.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Wow that's one hell of a good story! It needs to be bumped

TARCHER
03-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Too bad the story had to end, I enjoyed that.

Shade Tree
03-18-2014, 06:08 PM
I must admit to skimming the story to see some pics of dead rams....great job, great trophies!! I look forward to the read this evening when I have some time, thanks for your writing skill and taking the time to put this together for us:)

BiG Boar
03-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Sure, he wins a Dall sheep hunt, now he's getting all pumped..... Just enjoy them to yourself. Stop rubbing it in....;)

Westcoast 75
03-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Absolutely fantastic thread!!!!!

Haven't been on this site that long, but that has been one of the best I've read. Congratulations to you and your dad! He sounds like quite a character for sure! Lol

xfactor
03-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Great story! Really well written! Motivational to get out there and pursue whatever it is that moves you. Excellent pictures as well.

Thanks for sharing.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
03-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Sure, he wins a Dall sheep hunt, now he's getting all pumped..... Just enjoy them to yourself. Stop rubbing it in....;)

Lol not rubbing it in at all ... But I'm still bumping every dall sheep thread and all sheep shape threads over the next year !

albravo2
03-18-2014, 10:04 PM
I've enjoyed many threads on this site, but yours is far and away the best. I haven't seen Rubberfist for a while, so I hope you're still around.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Thanks for writing. Please write more.

Mulieaddict
03-19-2014, 10:45 AM
What a story!! Thanks for the adventure while I sit at work bored as hell.

Ltbullken
03-19-2014, 12:30 PM
I enjoyed reading your about your experience. Amazing times and some great animals.

BULLNUTTS
03-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Just simply AWESOME!! A fantastic epic tale told most expertly! Thankyou so very much for taking us along for the ride.I say its Quality posts like this that keeps so manny loving this site and our great sport alive.
Gratitude an good huntin

bridger
03-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Hadn't seen tis post before. Thanks for posting it and thanks for bumpingit back up. Very enjoyable.

Clint_S
03-19-2014, 05:19 PM
I also had not seen this.

Normally
Warning: Fairly lengthy. will send me looking elsewhere but your tale was worth the time to read and then some.

Thanks for taking the time to put together such an awesome story of a great hunt.

Remmy
03-19-2014, 05:34 PM
Awesome story and success.

BigSlapper
03-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Tremendous account Rubberfist ...

hotload
03-20-2014, 09:33 AM
I also have been here a long time and have read many an epic journey, but never have I read such an articulated account as this. This story was epic in so many different ways, it gathered many emotions as it moved along. This in my view is the finest story with pictures ever told on this site. Congrats to you, your friend the guide, and especially to your dad for being that naturally hardnosed S.O.B. wonderful dad that most try to be, but fail miserably at. You afforded him a dream come true with his son,something he will cherish........................................... ......

Seeker
03-20-2014, 01:12 PM
Kick...........ass!

Chefhunter
03-20-2014, 08:43 PM
Love this post!

argyle1
03-21-2014, 03:33 PM
wow!!!!!!!