PDA

View Full Version : Boat purchase assistance

David
09-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone...

I'm looking to purchase a 16' to 18' boat. It will see 80% saltwater, will be beached quite frequently, and will occasionally run from the mainland to the gulf islands and occasionally run through the skookumchuk narrows. I can't afford new.

It needs to be comfortable for a 2 year old so I'm thinking bowrider or walk-around (if they make them in that size).

Anyone have any suggestions as to brand/model? I'm thinking outboard instead of I/O because of the beaching - smart idea?

Alternatively can anyone point me to a good boating forum?

Much appreciated.

David

Jagermeister
09-21-2011, 01:09 PM
You're looking for a welded aluminium boat with a cuddy cabin. Open bow boat would not be in your best interest with small children and open bow will not take waves too well. Look for a deep vee across the border where you're money will go further. Try to stay away from brokers and do all your due diligence, title search, import fees, trailer inspections, you get the idea. Full canopy would be beneficial too. Little people will tire quickly and you will want to have a place to tuck them away, that's why I suggest a cuddy cabin type of boat.

MB_Boy
09-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Very good advice from Jager.

If you are going to be beaching quite a bit you likely don't want a fiberglass hull....unless you think you can find true sandy "beaches". There are not a ton of spots you'd be "beaching" a boat in the local Vancouver waters and sandy "beaches" aren't exactly abundant in the local waters or in the Gulf Islands; yes there are some but the topography tends to dictate otherwise. A lot of areas that have "sandy" beaches you aren't allowed to access it due to private property or if it's a public area many of them are roped off for swimming safety.

Leave the bowrider 100% out of the equation if you're going to be running in the salt and crossing the gulf; bowriders are made more so for "lake" type running.

Walkaround is not a bad idea....but definitely if you have a 2 year old don't go for a center console.

There are great deals as Jager said south of the border if you put your time in doing research and if you have some patience to look through the winter.

As for "boating" forums...I can't help you but there are a few BC fishing forums that have sections that discuss boats at length (BC waters specific); some great threads to peruse and see what others have said.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/forum.php

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/content/

You are likley going to find fibreglass boats will have a slightly more "kid friendly" layout (not a steadfast rule...don't want to piss off any aluminum owners!) and comforts as opposed to aluminums but you'll find there will be compromises no matter what way you go.

Outboard....in a boat that size I would say is mandatory so as not to sacrifice space with an inboard.

Are you looking for something you can trailer or something that you will keep at a moorage.

What sort of price range are you looking at? This is a HUGE determining factor.

If you are running across the Gulf with a family/child you want to make sure you have a very sound boat and pick your crossings carefully based on the weather. I would tend to lean with something 18' if those are the only sizes you are considering.

Figure out your budget.....and buy the MOST/BEST boat you can within your means. This is one of your biggest variables that is going to influence what to purchase. I could sit here and rattle off all sorts of boats/brands etc but your $$$ is going to bey a key determining factor.

Here is a thread that discusses boats for use in the "local" Vancouver waters.

http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/threads/19541-Minimum-Boat-setup-for-local-waters

srupp
09-21-2011, 04:49 PM
www.ifish.net (http://www.ifish.net)

USA site I frequent they have a section you can buy boats and fishing..quite a bit less expensive..or your $$$ goes further down there as they are "motivated" by depression like economy..

click on the discussion board...:mrgreen: prices are ridiculously cheap..

steven

pescado
09-21-2011, 06:00 PM
17' Montauk. It's made by Boston Whaler. They are an open glass boat, easy to trailer, economical to operate. For beaching I use an anchor system that I can pull the boat in & out as needed. They are drier than the aluminums I've been in & they can be had for a good $$$ if you look around. We like ours but some don't like them in the rain.

Johnnybear
09-21-2011, 06:25 PM
You are definately looking for an aluminum runabout. If you are beaching frequently than aluminum is your only choice IMHO. In this category you do have "recessed bow" boats not "bow rider" type styles which are completly different(and I fully agree to stay away from). The recessed bow on alot of the cookie cutter production aluminum's built in the States are basically a recessed bow for some storage of things. Most of these boats have a hinged center window that flips open. You can then walk out onto the bow and jump off onto the beach.

Look up Hewescraft, North River, and Thunderjet for good examples. Outboard all the way. The suggestion of searching South of us is a great one. The ifish forum is a great forum and is actually where I found my current vessel. You can also look at the Bloodydecks forum as well for boats.

If you want alot of info on aluminum boats and maintenance etc. check out Aluminum Alloy Boats dot com.

Cheers,
Jb

MB_Boy
09-21-2011, 08:25 PM
17' Montauk. It's made by Boston Whaler. They are an open glass boat, easy to trailer, economical to operate. For beaching I use an anchor system that I can pull the boat in & out as needed. They are drier than the aluminums I've been in & they can be had for a good $$$ if you look around. We like ours but some don't like them in the rain.

Agreed with the ease of these boats.......but to be honest; I don't know that I would want to be running across the Gulf in a 17 with a 2 yr old child on board. I have run one across the Gulf and in local waters many a time as I had one a number of years ago...they are good....but you ARE exposed....there is no protection or nowhere to hide....and although they do ride fairly well....little "David" is gonna likely be pissed at the ride.

They'd be good for some calm days in local Vancouver waters or trailering on a ferry across to the Gulf Islands....but you get the wind blowing up a bit with wifey and 2 yr old and taking spray across from either side or across the bow; say "BYE, BYE" to the Montauk you just purchased. One trip to Bowen Island from a Vancouver launch for a lunch and fun exploring....and they come out of Snug Cove with an outflow blowing down (out) Howe Sound....and that Whaler is as good as back on www.usedvancouver.com (http://www.usedvancouver.com) or Craigslist.

MB_Boy
09-21-2011, 08:33 PM
I should add to what JohnnyBear said......Hewes....great vessel; hadn't run one until at a friend's place a few years ago in the Gulf Island and they have a ~16-17'....GREAT boat that handles the chop well...very sturdy and well built and a good layout with protection (canvas top which can be zipped down with flaps to the aft of the boat to seal you right in) for little tyke if the weather rolls in.

But....again David....we could sit here and babble all day about recommendations but there are key question for you to answer.

Budget?
Trailering and what size boat can your vehicle handle?
Do you need a "head/portopotty/cuddy" for wifey/girlfriend and the little one? :wink: Basically....do you need ANY sort of a toilet on board that goes beyond a white plastic five gallon pail or hanging a rear end overboard. :-D
These are a couple of KEY factors to look at....then people can perhaps give you a little more guidance.

If wifey and Davey Jr aren't happy......you're not gonna be happy. :wink:

muledeercrazy
09-21-2011, 08:44 PM
It would be nice to have a cuddy cabin but you wont find many options in the aluminum world in 18 footers from what i have seen. I think the reality of it is that you wont be taking your 2 year old unless you know the weather is going to be great and you are not going far. Keep in mind many aluminum boat manufacturers weld a extra strip on the keel to give them some extra durability on the beach.. Also keep in mind you will want higher gunnels and a bit more beam in an aluminum compared to a fibreglass. I have a 18' lifetimer with a pod to make it around 20 feet and it works great for what you want, except for being kid friendly.

David
09-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Wow....

Great info. honestly wasn't expecting this much (and thanks to those who PM'd too)

More info:
Parents have a place up the sunshine coast and have a 24' aluminum lifetimer with a diesel with a v-drive. Tops out around 12 knots. Vehicle is too slow to go anywhere far from their cabin and too "work boat like" for the little one and the wife (mostly the wife) to enjoy a day out.

Mostly the boat will be used within 1-3 hrs of boating of Earls Cove (if you know where that is) running up to Princess Louisa and down into Sechelt inlet. Excursions will involve beaching (which the lifetimer can't do with the v-drive and with the little one I don't want to really tow anything behind - besides 12 knots doesn't get you very far) so we can go for clams/oysters and do beach exploring. Would like the boat to be able to run once a year to Mayne Island (friends cabin) and once a year to Galiano (I used to spend my summers at Dionisio when it was Mac Blo (?) land - water access only now). Some basic trolling - nothing major or super deep on the fishing front.

I have access to a full-size diesel so towing isn't a problem but was intending to either leave the boat at the dock at my parents, or we have a winch-and-ramp system setup there where I can winch down a trailer and load the boat up.

Ideally I'd like a light top to keep out the rain if necessary. No need for a toilet, stove, or anything for overnighting. I was thinking bowrider or walkaround because I want the kid to enjoy the time on the boat, not for him to think of the boat as transportation if you understand what I mean. The Boston Whaler and other fishing machine designs that look almost like an aluminum car-topper with seats bolted on are not going to work - too open.

Originally I was thinking $5k to $10k (don't laugh) because I thought with the kid it might be a bit of a throw-away (or tired engine) in case it turns out he doesn't like the ocean (he does love it now, but you never know). So I was looking at bayliner (again don't laugh) and 15 year old boats.

Me.

pescado
09-21-2011, 11:12 PM
I agree that the 18' Outrage is a much bigger boat than the 17' Montauk and will surely handle the Gulf better than a Hewes. I don't mind an Ironwood, Eaglecraft, or maybe one of the Campbell Series( all Canadian made ) in an Aluminum boat but people are having troubles getting rid of their Montauks and if your after value they're it. I, and many, fill our freezer with them every summer on the West Coast of the island and find the winter fishing in the Gulf to be fair with a 17'. I have spent lots of time on the water and have made a living on it for many years, enough to know that I wouldn't go out with my wife and 2 year old if conditions were not right in a 17' boat. If you want to do that get something bigger. For that matter if I was running from the mainland to the Gulf Islands I would bump it up a bit to a 21' Monaro or Double Eagle. The reason you have a small boat is for ease of trailering into difficult areas, ease of use, and they're economical. If you are going to go Aluminum keep it local, we make good boats here on this coast.

Nekhani
09-22-2011, 12:51 AM
18 foot Double Eagle or a Hourston are a good choice as well for an older hull and are tough proven seaboats on this Coast. Provided you are a little bit handy at fixing things up and making things work one of these older hulls may work for you. If you can find one with a hard top and worn out outboard power you may have something to work with if you can get it Cheap enough. It is important to have a good dependable outboard of course, so if you can afford to repower with a new Yamaha or one of the new 4 strokes on a Proven Hull then you would have a reliable boat at a reasonable price. Make sure to install a good Racor fuel filter/water separator between the fuel tank and the Outboard so you do not have any grief when the weather gets rough.

I doubt if you are going to get into any kind of good quality, seaworthy Aluminum boat for the money you want to spend. Some of the Sportfishing lodges that are going tits up have some decent lodge boats for sale and you may want to look at the Armstrong aluminum hulls at Bridgewater marine on river road outside of Ladner close to Sunbury.The aluminum guide boats are not really geared for a little one though but they are good walkaround layout and seaworthy and some of them are pretty dry and do not need big power to run them.

If you get an older 18 foot Glass boat with a hard top you can keep your girl and your young one dry and safe and take some pretty fair weather with that hull. As far as beaching goes if you are just touching the bow on the rocks and gravel you could get an aluminum plate or perhaps teflon fitted onto your bow and bolt it on to save your bow. Hard to beat an aluminum boat for beaching, if you can afford it.. It is hard to do much of anything with a 5-10 k budget for a boat. A new outboard is obviously more than that and it may not even be realistic to think you can get into a turn key boat for that budget unless you get a smokin' deal on it..

Look around lots in all the places suggested and maybe you will get lucky and find one of those hulls on a trailer with a decent outboard and you will be good to go..Best of Luck!

Weatherby Fan
09-22-2011, 06:26 AM
Hi everyone...

I'm looking to purchase a 16' to 18' boat. It will see 80% saltwater, will be beached quite frequently, and will occasionally run from the mainland to the gulf islands and occasionally run through the skookumchuk narrows. I can't afford new.

It needs to be comfortable for a 2 year old so I'm thinking bowrider or walk-around (if they make them in that size).

Anyone have any suggestions as to brand/model? I'm thinking outboard instead of I/O because of the beaching - smart idea?

Alternatively can anyone point me to a good boating forum?

Much appreciated.

David

Hey David
with running around the Gulf and over to the Islands and up to Skookuchuck Nrs you wont want a open bowrider,
with a good ebb tide and a little NW wind you can have a decent lump just getting out under First Nrs Bridge never mind trying to work your way up to Welcome Pass,
definately in this case bigger is better with a closed bow,not to mention all the sunny days we have in this area :mrgreen:
An outboard may be better in the case of beaching it here and there for sure.
It might be a good idea to go out in a few different boats in weather to see what might be more fitting for your needs,as it can get pretty snotty in the Gulf even in the the summer with a light 15-20 NW wind.
Sound like there is lots of deals to be had on boats across the line.
Good Luck in your search
WF

Ride Red
09-22-2011, 06:41 AM
I should add to what JohnnyBear said......Hewes....great vessel; hadn't run one until at a friend's place a few years ago in the Gulf Island and they have a ~16-17'....GREAT boat that handles the chop well...very sturdy and well built and a good layout with protection (canvas top which can be zipped down with flaps to the aft of the boat to seal you right in) for little tyke if the weather rolls in.

But....again David....we could sit here and babble all day about recommendations but there are key question for you to answer.

Budget?
Trailering and what size boat can your vehicle handle?
Do you need a "head/portopotty/cuddy" for wifey/girlfriend and the little one? :wink: Basically....do you need ANY sort of a toilet on board that goes beyond a white plastic five gallon pail or hanging a rear end overboard. :-D
These are a couple of KEY factors to look at....then people can perhaps give you a little more guidance.

If wifey and Davey Jr aren't happy......you're not gonna be happy. :wink:

A friend of mine bought a new 16' Hewescraft with a 75 hp Yamaha a few years ago. Nice bought for lakes or bigger rivers with enough storage. He now wishes that he could have test drove it cause it pounds the shit out of you in small chop to rougher waters. When we are out together, I cut the waves and he follows.

MB_Boy
09-22-2011, 07:32 AM
A friend of mine bought a new 16' Hewescraft with a 75 hp Yamaha a few years ago. Nice bought for lakes or bigger rivers with enough storage. He now wishes that he could have test drove it cause it pounds the shit out of you in small chop to rougher waters. When we are out together, I cut the waves and he follows.

Interesting.....I have just run my buddies around in the Gulf Islands and found it to be fairly good; his "may" be an 18. I have never been in huge chop or crossed the Gulf in it....mostly running from Montague down around Saltspring/Saturna/Pender and then up to Thrasher/Porlier area. Oh....and the odd time to go for a pint in Ganges.

MB_Boy
09-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally I was thinking $5k to $10k (don't laugh) because I thought with the kid it might be a bit of a throw-away (or tired engine) in case it turns out he doesn't like the ocean (he does love it now, but you never know). So I was looking at bayliner (again don't laugh) and 15 year old boats.

Me.

David....there are lots of options to look at and you've already wrapped your head around the fact you are going to be looking at something 15 yrs old more than likely which is good.

Others have mentioned Double Eagle's which are a good boat for their size....there are also Arima's. A buddy of mine had a locally built boat called a Zeta...it was a 19' and very easily trailerable; great boat with a closed bow (no walkaround) full canvas and a small cuddy that did have a porta potty in it if needed. For 19' of boat it was a great layout....it WAS an inboard but I spent tons of time on this boat and it was fast, handled the water VERY well and it was very comfortable for 4-5 adults.

Whatever you do....if you're looking to spend closer to $5K then make sure you get a boat surveyed as you don't want to buy something that you find VERY quickly that you're going to need to dump another $5K in it; then you should have just spent $10K on a better boat.

As you can see David.....there is a checklist you are going to need to go through yourself. Set your budget....take a look at different layouts and figure out what is going to work for you. You're going to need to decide on fibreglass vs aluminum but as others have said you may in tough to find much of an aluminum in that price range.

Ride Red
09-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Interesting.....I have just run my buddies around in the Gulf Islands and found it to be fairly good; his "may" be an 18. I have never been in huge chop or crossed the Gulf in it....mostly running from Montague down around Saltspring/Saturna/Pender and then up to Thrasher/Porlier area. Oh....and the odd time to go for a pint in Ganges.

The 18' does handle the rough water better. My buddy wishes he bought that one now.