PDA

View Full Version : 5-15 likeley

greenbike1
09-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Headed up in a week Spanish area. New to me. Any thoughts on the terrain? Has it been extensivly logged/shot out? Looking for some pointers, don't want to spend the week in the truck looking out the window. Got the wheels to get in deep. If anyone has coodinates/ radio frqs for the main spurs I would appreciate it. Fish on after tag out.

chinooker
09-10-2006, 06:01 PM
most of the logging in there is a few years should be good hunting lots of spur roads and old cut blocks You can access quesnel lake from the same road. buy a bear tag.

gordied2006
09-10-2006, 08:44 PM
hi if you are going from canim i think no name lake road is closed for all motorv.check regs. good luck

jessbennett
09-11-2006, 09:11 PM
also, if you have acess to a good boat, head up to cariboo lake, launch your boat at the govt' campsite , and go up the cariboo river. my buddy and i took a jet boat ride upo there recently and seen some big big bulls moving around. i think we seen about 10 or 15 moose in a couple of hours..good luck. spanish is good too. nice campsite,lots of moose and a very good bear population, black and grizz. i would reccomend getting a blak bear tag as the bears are big in the area. good luck..8-)

dawn2dusk
09-14-2006, 09:58 AM
This is a great thread. Really interested in this. I got LEH for any bull Nov 1 to 15th. I know this way past rut and wonderin what strategies I should be taking. PLanning to be there for the couple weeks. Have camper and 14ft aluminum and/or canoe. Was there last year in Nov, and road to spanish was pretty scary with ice/snow. Better prepared this year with good tires, 4x4, and 2 pairs of offroad chains. But thinkin the boat may be better angle. What about Quesnel lake?

Jagermeister
09-14-2006, 10:13 AM
D2D,
I would say forget the boat for Quesnel Lake, this is a very large lake and subject to high winds. Not too bad in the summer for a 14ft boat, but not good for Nov. Furthermore, the moose are going to hanging around the slash areas because they will be eating browse by Nov. rather than aquatic vegetation. Better to bring a quad or maybe a snowmobile, as Likely area can have a fair amount of snow by the time your LEH is happening.

mark
09-14-2006, 11:14 AM
the bush is thick, and the terrain is pretty rough, id say its gonna be pretty much a road hunt, cruising logging roads and cut blocks. Not the funnest country to hunt but the game is there! If theyre de-activating new logging roads that would be good places to walk!

dawn2dusk
09-14-2006, 11:24 AM
D2D,
I would say forget the boat for Quesnel Lake, this is a very large lake and subject to high winds. Not too bad in the summer for a 14ft boat, but not good for Nov. Furthermore, the moose are going to hanging around the slash areas because they will be eating browse by Nov. rather than aquatic vegetation. Better to bring a quad or maybe a snowmobile, as Likely area can have a fair amount of snow by the time your LEH is happening.

Thanks jager for advice. Was worried about winds on lakes. Remember couple years ago a couple BC Govt biologists drowned on one of these lake in cariboo.

info on feed was excellent info...wont bother with boat...alot extra work to haul up

I hear ya re snow. father-in-law was there 2 yrs ago in Nov and said there was 8ft of snow! and all the deer were down in valleys on the roads. Easy pickin that year.

One day I will have an ATV! in meantime will have to make due with 4x4 and backcountry skis

jessbennett
09-17-2006, 10:29 PM
8 feet of snow???:confused: i had a draw there two years ago. dont remember 8 feet of snow. believe me when i tell you this, you will still be able to call bulls out in that leh...... two years ago we called quite a few bulls out that late in the season. the moose seem to rut later out there. both the primary and secondary are later out there(at least around cariboo lake and maeford lake). the stretch between little river and maeford are awsome. tonnes of big cutblocks visible and accesible off main road. sometimes can glass 3 or 4 moose in one block. still the cariboo river is the way to go.... slow moving water, so many moose. its all willow thickets along the river, you can see all the willows thrashed by the big bulls when the walk through it. pick a sand bar and call. they will come. havent hunted as much on the spanish side. another road right close. is black bear road. lots of moose there too. way at the end of the spanish lake road there is another forest service road... cant remember. something valley or falls anyway another goo road lots of moose. some big mulies too..... watch the road into spanish lake itself if the snow is bad.... that road is scary when its dry out...... best of luck........ any more info needed e-mail me if you want.

dawn2dusk
09-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks JB! you got me all pumped up now. Dreamin about moosies! A couple more questions, are there any deep snow areas in particular we should avoid? and are the bears still out in Nov?

jessbennett
09-19-2006, 06:02 PM
have seen a few big bears at that time. if you go up behind cariboo lake, there is a set of switchbacks that can be kinda hairy at times. if you have a four by four i wouldnt worry too much. if you get the chance, take a day run up past cariboo lake, past maeford lake and go towards gohst lake. all along there is swampy muskeg, and freshwater creeks surrounded by willows and alders..... when it gets closer to your hunt, keep in touch with me if you like, maybe i can take a late run out and chase some mulies and show you round a bit.8-)

dawn2dusk
09-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Right on JB! We will be wary for bear then. I was not sure where maeford was so I looked it up on this bcgovt mapping site. I saved the session of the area. It is pretty cool cause I can see the marsh land and agree it would be a great day trip. Check this out http://maps.gov.bc.ca/imf50/imf.jsp?session=4817

We got two 4x4's. Pretty well geared/rigged.

Hey for sure, would be great to have your local expertise out there and meet a fellow huntingbc.ca member. Will PM you. Definitly looking forward to the mulie rutt out there...them bucks just get silly.