PDA

View Full Version : Lowermainland help

mikeboehm
09-21-2011, 08:10 AM
I want to shoot a nice black bear with my bow. Everywhere i know is now crowded with off roaders. Im wondering if someone can point me in a direction of lots of bears not many off roaders. Within 2 hours drive of surrey. Any help would be appreciated

Steeleco
09-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Head up to Hemlock Village. At the point in the road where you meet the road works yards there is a FSR to the west. It only goes a short distance and it truly "Deactivated" you'll need to walk the majority of the road. There's a really nice big clear cut at the end. I took a bear out of there a few years back. You should be all alone the road doesn't go anywhere thus off roader's don't want to use it!

Big Lew
09-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Anderson watershed, accessed just north of the Alexander Bridge, has bears, but you'll probably have to walk and pack. I think they're currently logging in some of the roads, so a radio, or going in after hours is a must.

Livewire322
09-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Is the hunting Amy good up past bear creek?

Steeleco
09-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Bear creek on Harrison east? If so, it can be, but there's usually a ton of industrial traffic and even more bozo traffic. I stopped hunting there a few years back. Wait till regs 3 and up closes, you'll need a reservation just to use the road!!!

warnniklz
09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Harrison east I've seen several OK black bears up there over the summer... but they don't hang around long at all... I usually catch most of them dashing across the road. Lots of stupid dummies up there. They aren't all stupid dummies but you just seem to notice them more. I'd honestly head out around hope.

Livewire322
09-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Normally I do all my hunting up around Savon...

DDD
09-21-2011, 11:46 AM
The blueberries are late this year but once they're ripe you should be able to find bears in older cutblocks, sub-alpine, etc. in good numbers. Chwk. R. Valley, east and west Harrison and the Coquihalla area all good bets. Good luck.

D

mikeboehm
09-21-2011, 01:07 PM
I usually hunt east harrison but last year it was full of off roaders

jhausner
09-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Burke Mountain up in Port Coquitlam near the shooting range. Take the trails up the mountain and keep going towards Dennett and Munro Lake. It is a hiking hunt though so pack and be prepared. Need your Fraser Valley license though and insurance. I've never hunted black bear personally but I've seen many up in that area while hiking around. If you want to drive in, no idea, I hunt outside the lower mainland region so am not well versed in this area.

CHEAM
09-21-2011, 03:58 PM
I have seen some real bruisers that were fishing pink salmon in the Indian river.The biggest were always seen near last light as it can be busy with fishermen some days but some days no body is there. Now is prime time for being up there. good luck

huntwriter
09-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Merritt and Helmer Lake area is a good place to kill a bear. We've lots of bears, actually to many, up here. Look for any decent patches of wild rose bushes, that's what they feed on up here right now.

mikeboehm
09-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Whats better west harrison or east harrison. Ive never gone up west harrison

CHEAM
09-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Harrison west has bears at the end were the Lilloette river comes into Harrison Lake. Again eating salmon.Or try to climb as high as you can to find find some blueberry patches. I don't know how the berrys did this year with all the snow around so late.

Big Lew
09-21-2011, 06:45 PM
If you are interested in quality meat as well as a pelt, I would suggest hunting well away from the salmon feeding areas.