PDA

View Full Version : How fast does deer bait work?

CSG
09-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I am curious how fast deer will get onto the baiting program. I am going up the coast with a buddy soon and we will be stopping at random islands and I am wondering if I were to setup some bait(apples/oats/whatever, I dont even know what to use yet) for 2 days straight, would I get deer coming quickly? And if we kept it well stocked, would they hang out?

This could be my only chance to harvest in this region and we are pressed for time, thought baiting might speed up the process

Thought?

Livewire322
09-20-2011, 10:36 PM
ummm im pretty sure that it would be illegal...

bighornbob
09-20-2011, 10:38 PM
ummm im pretty sure that it would be illegal...

Baiting deer is perfectly legal.

BHB

OOBuck
09-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Baiting deer is perfectly legal.

BHB

I'll second that

bighornbob
09-20-2011, 10:46 PM
I am curious how fast deer will get onto the baiting program. I am going up the coast with a buddy soon and we will be stopping at random islands and I am wondering if I were to setup some bait(apples/oats/whatever, I dont even know what to use yet) for 2 days straight, would I get deer coming quickly? And if we kept it well stocked, would they hang out?

This could be my only chance to harvest in this region and we are pressed for time, thought baiting might speed up the process

Thought?

It all depends how long it takes for the deer to find it. A couple of days I doubt you would have any deer on it but you never know.

To get the deer fast you will have to place the bait in area you know deer will find it quick. Dumping bait in a clearcut or some opening, may not have deer through it for awhile. But if know a spot that deer are coming through daily( like a trail, then it may work).

A couple of problems I see though:
1. it that short of time period you may have only does finding it. During the rut, that would not be that bad as the bucks will follow the does, so if does are hitting your bait then a buck will come on by too.

2. Do not use apples while the bears are still out. The bears will sniff them out quickly and eat them all up. A bear on your bait pile will not bring in any deer. A bear will eat 40 pounds of apples in a sitting. Trust me I have seen it. Apples only really work well once the bears are hibernating.

BHB

Livewire322
09-20-2011, 10:46 PM
i just read the regs and it says baiting is legal where authorized.. but it doesn't say WHERE it is or isn't authorized.

CSG
09-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Bighorn Bob, what would you recommend for bait? I have never baited deer before

CSG
09-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Livewire322, that only applies to dangerous animlas. you can bait deer

.300WSMImpact!
09-21-2011, 06:03 AM
it takes a while to draw in deer that are not in the general area, if you go there too often your scent will keep any larger animals away, good luck anything may help, I would suggest finding game trails, bedding areas hike in an area as much as you can

000buck
09-21-2011, 06:34 AM
corn and oats maybe sum alfalfa and a dash of any plant the wife likes, they seem to taste the best.

4pointer
09-21-2011, 07:09 AM
i just read the regs and it says baiting is legal where authorized.. but it doesn't say WHERE it is or isn't authorized.

This doesnt literally mean "where"(location wise) its authorized, it means as in "deer" is allowed and not bear, for example. Deer is allowed to be baited in BC.

silvicon
09-21-2011, 07:33 AM
I found that mule deer take to sliced apples over night!

kenadiens
09-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I use a bag of COB. The deer found it in 2 days but the damn ravens really like it too.

bighornbob
09-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Bighorn Bob, what would you recommend for bait? I have never baited deer before

In my mind it all depends on the season and what else is around. I have used salt blocks but that seems to only works through the summer and early fall. Takes the deer awile to fid it.

I have used apples in September (took a box of culls from a neighbor that was going to throw them out). I was headed to the woods anyway so I took them. The next day a bear found them and ate them in one sitting. Thats when a guy told me not to use apples til mid November when most bears in the interior are sleeping.

In regards to alfalpha (sp), I have seen where a rancher dumped out a bail trying to attract range cattle. It was basically untouched for weeks. Then we got about 4 inches of snow and the deer were all over. Digging and pawing through the snow. Bale only lasted a few days. Maybe they only found it then.

I have never used any grains, but I would assume that if they are put out now, bears, rodents, birds and ravens may eat it all up.

Like I said earlier 2 days is a little short on time.

BHB