PDA

View Full Version : Another Billy 12 years later

zoominjr
09-20-2011, 10:23 PM
It had been 12 years since I shot my last billy. Since then I have had other opportunities but had been a little fussy, so this year I thought I was due to pull the trigger. So on one of those blue bird sky weekends I planned to end the drought. I recruited a couple buddies and off we went. I had always wanted to go back into this particular drainage. I had seen goats back there on a few previous recon missions. I had also been draw for the area a few times but for one reason or another the hunts never materialized. Finally it all came together.
We pushed our way back to a strategic spot for our camp where we were better positioned for a number of hunting options. On the way in we saw two lone goats down the valley and after setting up camp at noon went to see if we could be lucky enough to sneak up on one of them early in the hunt. We quickly lost site of the closer goat as he went down into the timber and into some cliffs. The other goat was still there but he was further off regardless we thought we would at least try and have a look. We got about half way to the goat and soon realised we had lost sight of this one too. After waiting about 30 minutes to see if the goat would show itself again two of us pushed a little closer while one guy stayed back at a spot where he had a good vantage point. We cut the distance in half again and looked for a signal from our partner to tell us if the goat had reappeared. After waiting another 45 minutes and no sign of the goat, at 4:15 PM we abandoned this attempt and headed back up the mountain and toward camp.
We crested the peak and from there looked into two different drainages. What spectacular scenery, jagged peaks, glaciers, green meadows and alpine lakes. It is a wonderful country we live in. From here we did some early evening glassing. We spotted a few more goats and one looked like a promising billy but it was too late in the day to do anything about it. He would have to wait until tomorrow. Back at camp as we settled in the moon came up full over the jagged peaks to the east. In the tent it was like someone had forgot to turn the lights off before they went to bed.
We woke to a cool windy but sunny morning. Only a few steps from the tent we could look and see the place we had last spotted the goat we tried for earlier yesterday afternoon. Sure enough it was bedded in the exact same dirt patch as the day before. A short discussion ensued. We had seen that other billy late yesterday but we couldn’t see that spot from camp and we weren’t even sure we could get to him. So we thought one in the hand is worth two in the bush. So let’s make a play on the one we can see. Just before 8 AM we set off to make a second attempt on this goat.
Employing a little different tactic this time we came in from higher up, keeping the goat in our sights almost all the way. The goat was sunning itself in a nice dirt bed just below tree line. Part way through the stalk the feet of one of my partner’s started to give him trouble. At this point he decided he needed to give his feet a rest. So he stayed behind while two of us pushed on down toward our target. We briefly lost sight of the goat before we snuck over the ridge to find the goat still lying in the same dirt patch. Getting in to position we ranged the goat at 380 yards. He looked like a decent billy but he was a little too far away for my comfort and with a bit of a cross wind I didn’t want to take any chances. Moving around a rock bluff and to another closer vantage point we managed to close the gap by another 100 yards. The goat was almost directly below us and facing our direction. I got my 30-06 into shooting position on its bi-pod and waited for the goat to stand up.
My hope was that the goat would turn to our right and go up hill because if he went left it was not far to the cliffs below where we would likely lose him. We waited less than ten minutes and the goat stood up. Taking his time he finally stepped to our right and gave me a broad side view. At 10:09 AM I squeezed off a shot and immediately chambered a second shell but the second shell for some reason didn’t load. In the split seconds while I was trying to figure out what was wrong my partner assured me I hit him good but also told me he had lost sight of him. I soon figured out that the original shell hadn’t ejected and therefore I couldn’t get the second shell into the chamber. During those frantic seconds after the shot we saw no sign of the goat. We waited a few more minutes and decided we better move to a different spot to get a better look and find this goat. We didn’t have to go far to see past a clump of trees blocking our view and to see the goat had only gone a few feet and fell over. One shot was all that was needed. We went back and waved our partner down to join us.
After photos, skinny and loading up the meat and hide it was 2 PM. We headed for camp. Arriving back at camp at 5 PM we decided to pack up camp and push out to the truck that night. Fighting the fierce black flies and mosquitoes and darkness we arrived at the truck at exactly 9 PM. We were very tired but back safe and sound. Thanks to TSW and JB for all the help and good memories. I’ll have to help you pack one out one of these years. Much appreciated.
Details:
· Shot: 283 yards
· Rifle: Browning A-bolt 30-06
· Bullet: Federal Power-Shok 150 grain Speer-Grand Slam
· Goat horns: 9 ¼ inches long and 5 ¾ inch bases
· Goat age: 7 ½ years

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Goat_31.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Goat_5.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Goat_11.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Goat_4.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Goat_2.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

OutWest
09-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Great recap and awesome goat. Congratulations!

ufishifish2
09-20-2011, 10:40 PM
That Billy has a huge body. Sweet!!! Don't wait so darn long for the next one. Thanks for the excellent story.

coach
09-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Awesome billy! Great pictures and story. Thanks for posting. All these goat threads are getting me really inspired for my upcoming hunt.

BCbillies
09-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Zoomin . . . that's a great shot on a solid billy with a nice beard. Country looks awefully familiar as does the crew! Would have liked to have been there but I had my work cut out that day. :)

moose2
09-20-2011, 10:52 PM
great looking goat and really nice pictures he is nice and white.
Mike

TSW
09-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Reading the story and looking at the pics makes me want to go back for more! Ah the alpine...That was the biggest bodied goat I've personally seen hit the dirt! Glad I could help you pack that toad off the mountain! Way to get that 12 year old monkey off your back!! I said it a few times that weekend, but I'll say it again..."Good shot!" Not a drop of blood...good for pictures!

PS if anyone finds my hat up on the mountain somewhere let me know...it's camouflage!

Rubberfist
09-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Thank you for sharing that: great story and a great trophy!

ELK Seeker
09-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Thats a solid lookin billy congrats!

kayjayess
09-21-2011, 12:04 AM
Awesome goat. Great story and pics

Buck
09-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Congrats Thats a big billy.Would have expected 10 or 11 inch horns on a big one like that.

BCHunterTV
09-21-2011, 05:56 AM
another hog billie down ! congrats...

Nekhani
09-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Dandy Billy! Good Work!
Lifemount I hope!

Congratulations!

Squamch
09-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Holy crap that's a big chunk of goat. I think I'm getting inspired....I guess I'll need a new rifle.

Ruger4
09-21-2011, 06:28 AM
worthy of a 1/2 mount I'd say !!
same specs as mine a few years ago.......now your getting me ancy for another !!
Congrats on a beautiful goat ! nice country to !

gbear
09-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Congrats! That is a very nice looking goat

Everett
09-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Thats a nice looking goat.

gerrygoat
09-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Very nice goat zoominjr, he sure is a big beast, I'm glad you were able to take advantage of one of the few nice stretches of good weather we've had here. Like the others have said don't wait another 12 years to do it again. Outstanding field photos, just like you always do :)

doubled
09-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Awesome goat boys. One day that hunt will be scratched off my bucket list

srupp
09-21-2011, 07:42 AM
sweet..great photo and story..

well done

d6dan
09-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Good goat!. Congrats on a successful hunt.

Rodd
09-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Awesome Goat!!! Congrats!

Mik
09-21-2011, 09:13 AM
That is one huge Billy. Thanks for the story and beautiful photos. Congrats

PS: TSW if ya PM me the co-ordinates i might be able to find your hat ;)

Call of the Wild
10-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Good job and nice billy!

VIRuger
10-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Nice goat! Thanx for the story!

pse&remington
10-03-2011, 08:55 AM
wow he's gotta a monster body on him nice work!

Skull Hunter
10-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Awesome goat... I don't know how I missed this thread before.

Coast mountain guy
10-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I Spotted him in the morning and made a play on a different one!!! He was my plan B!!! LOL!!! Nice goat, congrats!!!

BCbillies
10-03-2011, 12:12 PM
I Spotted him in the morning and made a play on a different one!!! He was my plan B!!! LOL!!! Nice goat, congrats!!!

You leaving us hanging . . . story and photos? :) Looks like the goat hunters were all waiting for a break in the weather and headed for the hills the same weekend. Some nice billies taken.

ThinAir
10-03-2011, 12:43 PM
That's a nice goat buddy! 12 years is too long to wait, I don't want to see that happen again!

I love the field pics as well....surely TSW didn't take them!:)

meathunter
10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
That is a huge body. Great goat and story

fester
10-03-2011, 03:25 PM
beautiful!!!!! Nice work

Rattler
10-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Great story and pics. Monster body on that billy...

6 K
10-28-2011, 05:09 AM
Well, I finally made it back onto HBC. 28,500 and change new posts to sift through, figured I shold post on your thread first.
Congrats buddy. He is a real big bodied bugger.
I'm in a bit of a goat drought myself (been concentrating on them curly horned things).
Next year, I'll have to set some time aside for hillside antelope.

kennyj
10-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Great story, and great goat. Nice to have a couple of keen helpers to join the fun.
kenny

Bistchen
10-28-2011, 08:46 AM
nice goat !!! beautiful actually !

Great job, enjoy the memories. !

Rodd
10-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Unreal! Congrats! And Great Pictures!! Doesn't look like he rolled too far!! Cheers!

trigger
10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
good storey great photos. awesome billy. thanks fort sharing.and congrats