PDA

View Full Version : Mule Hunting

savagehunter
09-20-2011, 08:36 PM
well I was skunked on the LEH again. So it`s off deer hunting soon. I have had luck around Falkland area and am wondering if anyone could offer advise for other areas. I have heard the Pemberton, Princeton and 100 mile are decent areas for deer. just wondering if anyone would be so brave as to point me in the right direction for my best chances at deer. I would venture north if that would increase my chances.

Looking_4_Jerky
09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
What exactly are you looking for? Whitie, Blacktail or Mule? Big animal or meat deer? What kind of hunting do you want to do?

If you are looking for a big animal, I'd assume nobody is going to give you the coordinates of the honey-hole. Most people expect that we pay our dues and put in the hard work and scouting, learning etc. If it's meat deer, all the places you mentioned are good. Farther is not better and I'd be inclined to pick the closest good spots (Merritt or Princeton if you're form the coast), as they are easier/quicker to get to, meaning you will be able to get there more often, and thus meaning that you will learn the spot best and quickest - which is really the key to being a successful deer hunter anywhere.

There are kick-ass deer spots scattered throughout the province! Rather than wait for someone to point you in the right direction, pick a spot that suits your needs well (preferred species, conducive to your preferred hunting method, etc) and then maybe ask for advice about something more specific. For example, if pushing small grassland pockets of aspens for whities was what you really wanted to do, ask where people might be willing to direct you where that opportunity exists. If you were a total road hunter, ask what areas might have great road networks with high deer densities. I think people are generally fairly free with info, but they just probably won't tell you everything they know on the assumption that a small part of that will be useful to you.

Good luck. I hope you get your deer!

savagehunter
09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
I am interested in putting some meat in the freezer. I am not that interested in a trophy at this point. I am going out mainly for Mule deer and I am not into road hunting. I will be hiking off the beatin track. That should be a little more specific for some of the guys out there. And I am not a bow hunter.

new hunter
09-20-2011, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't bother with pemberton , the meager slide has made a large portion of hunting territory inaccesible due to road closures . If you have a spot up here in mind that doesn't involve the upper lillooet forest service road at all then it might be worth it for you , but if I had an equal knowledge of all three places mentioned I would pick one of the other two .

moosinaround
09-20-2011, 09:36 PM
well I was skunked on the LEH again. So it`s off deer hunting soon. I have had luck around Falkland area and am wondering if anyone could offer advise for other areas. I have heard the Pemberton, Princeton and 100 mile are decent areas for deer. just wondering if anyone would be so brave as to point me in the right direction for my best chances at deer. I would venture north if that would increase my chances.
Kamloops, Merrit, Clearwater, Valemount, McBride, MCleese Lake, Quesnel, Williams Lake, 100 Mile House. All good spots to venture to to find excellent Mulie territory!! Hit some crown land and scout away! Remember deer habitat needs this time of year and target them areas! Some reading on the internet, and some seat time on google earth, and put on many field miles will net some valuable info. That is what I do, and I get more successful every year! I do know my deer and moose areas intimately as I have hunted them for many years. Good hunting, Moosinaround

Mack45
09-21-2011, 08:04 AM
I think you are traveling to much just find what the deer need and hunt there in that country they are everywhere. On every ridge above every stretch of water near every patch of thick timber. I always just look for an ridge with spaced out pine above a water hole and close to thick cover. The big bucks are like goats the like to get above you so they can run for the thicket when any danger is close just find a trail that cut them off from the thicket and push along the ridge at the crack of dawn. But do not try and push them to hard or often or they move to the next spot exactly the same.

Weatherby Fan
09-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Anywhere south/west of Princeton would be good for a doe or small buck,try Whipsaw Crk,Placer FRS,Sunday Summit or go to Anslie or Anderson Crk rd by Boston Bar,assuming your from the LML either of those places are not to far to drive and have lots of area to explore.
Good Luck
WF

Jelvis
09-21-2011, 01:16 PM
I'd do like Weatherby Fan is thinking, closer to the lower strangeland and some dang good deer spots south and west of Princeton.
Jel .. This is excellent mule deer country all around Princeton B.C. .. mule deer habby

Looking_4_Jerky
09-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Savage hunter, are you from the coast? If so, you don't need to travel far to get into meat deer. If you concentrate on lower elevation stuff, you'll find areas of thinner timber that will be better/easier for walking. Right now the trade off is that this stuff might not hold big numbers yet (later is better for low elevation). On the other hand, hunting high elevation timber is tougher because it can be thick (unless you hunt cuts, in which case you'll probably want to cover a bit of country, which is better from a vehicle).

I'm pretty confident if you get out and poke around one of the mentioned areas that you'll be posting the story of your successful hunt next!