PDA

View Full Version : 5-04a moose help

twinpeaks3
09-20-2011, 05:54 PM
5-04a help
So one of us in our group leh moose hunt must of put 5-04a down instead of 5-04b by mistake and got drawn. Now we are going to new ground oct 1 -14. Most of it is park. Its covers Chilko lake to Taseko lakes and part of the Nemiah valley.Has anyone hunted it. been there. Its got one road threw it and no atvs use. Looks great on a map if we had horses instead of atvs but we will be on foot other than the one road. Any help would be great. We got the draw so we are going for 2 weeks or untill we have our 2 moose. Thanks for any help or input or heckling cause ya we deserve it but are trying to make the best of it.http://www.huntshoot.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif

Whonnock Boy
09-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Do you have a boat?

pg83
09-20-2011, 07:40 PM
tell me a joke and I will help you :D

twinpeaks3
09-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Bringing a 12 ft Whonnock boy. Ok PG83s joke, lets see 3 guys in a gardge have a few beers filling out the limiteds and next thing you know they have a draw for 5-04a.

Whonnock Boy
09-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Bringing a 12 ft Whonnock boy.

That won't cut it for my suggestion.

twinpeaks3
09-21-2011, 04:40 AM
Ok we can bring a 18 foot deep v

srupp
09-21-2011, 07:47 AM
if the Nemiah crew havnt hit it alrfeady the far end of Beece creek can hold some moose,,you have trhe rut..find cut blocks small bodies of water,,with a bit of cover between tah water and several others bring cow in heat scent and call///////

steven

one of the biggest bulls in the past 30 years was gotten off Beece Creek..OLD Sherwood henries guiding area

blackbart
09-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Twinpeaks3 - good luck to you and your crew. I can certainly think of worse places to spend some vacation time. Mr. Rupps advice would be helpfull if it pertained to the LEH zone that you have asked about. Unfortunately, the area that he describes is in a different LEH zone. Steven in his zest to post up helpfull tips seems to have hit a pothole in the quality control department as of late (Bruce would likely agree).

srupp
09-21-2011, 11:23 AM
no ..@ work I dont have any maps with me..was giving good place near nemiah...

hmmmmm

srr

quality control...

Clouddog
09-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi All

I got the draw for 5-04 B & C, Lots of road in this area. I have called some of the fishing lodges at Puntzi (just out of the Zonwe 5-04), they report low sitings of Moose to none over the summer, a few deer and lots of Grouse.

I have the same questions as Twinpeaks3, how is the hunting in this area, any advise?

pg83
09-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Lots of old logging roads and some new ones. Lots of guys cruising them. There are certainly moose around, but getting off the beaten path will up your odds.

srupp
09-21-2011, 03:02 PM
you are competing with 30 native bands..who have been hunting day and night..literally..if you drive by the tarps outside their homes..a good # of moose shot already..

As has been already stated lots of guys just cruizing the rds..thats not going to increase your odds...when it was hot.... get off the rds,,even 400 meters and hunt the creeks and the ponds..

the rut will start any day..with the bulls starting to respond to the invitations of the cows...HOWEVER the activity of road hunters is INCREDIBLE...most all "campspots" I am aware of were full during a recent drive with my wife...

A couple of hunters I chatted with about where there were some bulls hanging around...I am not going to give a GPS where a moose is standing...but the area where moose are at any given time of the season....for some reason they choose to continue cruizing the rds..hmmmm...

Some would have you believe all the moose are gone..the wolves did indeed thin the numbers, and in some areas substantially..but these animlas deer, moose, bears sheep, require some effort, getting away from the rds,soem logical thinking on WHY a moose would be there @ that time..

steven

twinpeaks3
09-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks everyone. we really appreciate it.

ravensfoot
09-21-2011, 07:39 PM
5-04 B&C - If you are in areas where the wild horses are, the moose won't be there. Like SRupp said, get out of the truck and put some time on the boots. I went there last year and with SRupps advice I nailed an Immy. Look for the meadows, hunt in the forest around them. Early morning you'll see them. Also, don't rule out a hike up the higher hills, I got mine at the top of a ridge on the edge of a slash. Check out my tale here on HBC (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?57857-Back-from-Chilcoot-Moose-trip&highlight=back+chilco)

Nexthill
09-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Going in from Hanceville toward Nemiah, take the Taseko Road past the Nemiah cut-off and then branch off to Fish Lake. Before you get to the Lake you'll be following the marshy creek on your right, take the second road on your left which climbs steeply up to the east and follow it to the height of land. The drops off slightly and then levels off to the east. We took a 48" rack out of there last year. Two more bulls were taken the same morning. We counted a half dozen bulls in a kilometer wide area. A walk east along old roads will connect you with other roads spurs comming in from logging roads to the east. Look along the edges of the timber and glass hard just inside the trees, especially just before dark. With the rut comming on you should be able to call something out along the creek marshes and potholes. Good Luck

pg83
09-22-2011, 08:56 AM
This is a good spot for moose, but it is in zone C which you are eligible to hunt if you have the zone B tag. Zone A is the area between Taseko Lake/River and Chilko Lake south of the Nemiah Valley road. Be sure of your area before ou head out please.

twinpeaks3
09-24-2011, 11:32 AM
What is the best way in Hanceville or Alexis creek or ?.

remington666
09-25-2011, 03:39 PM
which way are you coming from williams lake ? if so take hanceville go up past fletcher lake take a right at the phone booth and be prepared for a long drive ,but the road is in great shape and you might spot some decent sized mulies .I have never hunted as far as chilko lake but have hunted the 5-4 b,c area for years and the moose are there you just have to get out and hike ,we saw more moose last year then deer ,but our luck no limited entry .

twinpeaks3
09-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Coming for Kelowna planing on via Williams Lake unless there is another option.

cariboobill
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
I would say the competition with FN is the biggest issue west of WL. Many hunters who hunt that area have moved to new areas. These are hunters who have cabins in the same area and have been hunting 5-4 for ever. There really is an issue between the FN and government, that has spilled into hunting. The FN are hunting and have advantages over us whites guys and that they can shoot with lights at night.

So I have also moved my region 3 hunting area as a result of this night hunting by FN and the population of available animals has also dropped in my opinion. Last year in 5 minutes I saw 3 bulls downed, all in one group and all with NO LEH or tags required.

I am not against any FN rights, all I am saying is the reality of what I see when I hunt around 5-4 west of WL. Less animals due to pressure and government treaty issues spilling into hunting.

CB

twinpeaks3
09-26-2011, 04:52 AM
Are there any issues between FN and hunters up there ?

twinpeaks3
10-24-2011, 05:34 AM
So we came back a week early. Next to no fresh moose sign down low or anywhere you can get to. suprised by the number of cabins,local native trapping school, wellness center\outfitter in such a small huntable area. All the locals are friendly(cabin people almost all live on Vancouver island) Finally one camp got a moose, next day the valley was flooded by 15 or so trucks full of natives ( Nemaih Valley crew). That day I was sitting in a beatifull spot maybe 400 yrds threw the bush from the road. I could hear a constant parade of trucks back and forth. Twice I could hear trucks stop about where I left my truck and then leave after a couple minutes. So I went out and checked on the truck. One person stopped to pee on a tire, another stopped 20 ft up the road and had kicked all thier beer cans out and left a puddle in the middle of the road. So now the question was do I want to be in the bush with people that are full of beer and can shoot anything they want to. I had enough and after talking to the guys back at camp they did to so we pulled the plug. Oh well it was a beautifull area to see and thanks for all the replys on here.

.330 Dakota
10-24-2011, 07:26 AM
you are competing with 30 native bands..who have been hunting day and night..literally..if you drive by the tarps outside their homes..a good # of moose shot already..

As has been already stated lots of guys just cruizing the rds..thats not going to increase your odds...when it was hot.... get off the rds,,even 400 meters and hunt the creeks and the ponds..

the rut will start any day..with the bulls starting to respond to the invitations of the cows...HOWEVER the activity of road hunters is INCREDIBLE...most all "campspots" I am aware of were full during a recent drive with my wife...

A couple of hunters I chatted with about where there were some bulls hanging around...I am not going to give a GPS where a moose is standing...but the area where moose are at any given time of the season....for some reason they choose to continue cruizing the rds..hmmmm...

Some would have you believe all the moose are gone..the wolves did indeed thin the numbers, and in some areas substantially..but these animlas deer, moose, bears sheep, require some effort, getting away from the rds,soem logical thinking on WHY a moose would be there @ that time..

steven

your dead on on this one Steve, I hunted up past Beece Crk for goats 2 years in a row, and the valley in past Powell Crk, down into Marion Lake area held some nice Moose, but ya its a 10k walk in the alpine. One big griz in there too. I saw him both times.

twinpeaks3
06-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Here we go again this time with a 504 bc draw. Anyone know what happened to vedan ranch

articcat
06-27-2012, 06:35 PM
:shock: Subscribed