PDA

View Full Version : Moose call / answer

Hemi
09-19-2011, 09:32 PM
I went out tonite for alittle drive came around a corner and there was a side road with a moose. It ran off so I grabbed gun and followed saw it just on the side looking at me. put scope on it and it was a cow, so I carry on. On the way back about 200 meters before that road another moose thought I saw antlers but now it is darker so I stop and listen it let out aloud grunt like it belched it echoed throught the forest. I responded with a short cow call it ansered but was going the other way. I played with it for about 15 minutes but it was leaving the whole time so I drove over to where I saw the cow and tried and heard nothing. Could this grunt been a I am angry grunt? still trying to learn the lingo. I know where he is so will be going back tomorrow nite.. he probably hooked up with that cow. Unless I am way off and a cow will let out a loud grunt and it was the same moose????

moosecaller
09-19-2011, 11:21 PM
A cow can let out quite a loud roar when it is spooked or catches wind of danger it lets all its' fellow moose know something is up. This roar is louder and about twice as long than most bull calls.

canadianyoda
09-20-2011, 04:04 PM
It sounds like a bark in an oil drum when they are spooked.

Hemi
09-20-2011, 05:40 PM
This sounded more like a loud grunt and it got calmer after a bit did it about 10 -15 times

gbear
09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
put scope on it and it was a cow, so I carry on.

Assuming you meant rifle scope, I gotta tell you, it gives me the creeps hearing about hunters doing this. I have been on the other end of the barrel when guys look through their rifle scopes more then once. It is not a nice feeling. That's what binos are for. My wife just took the CORE course a week ago, and I asked her if that was discussed, and she said absolutely.

Rev.
09-20-2011, 06:35 PM
The OP wasn't scanning a cut block with his rifle trying to spot something, he had clearly identified that it was a moose and decided to put the cross hairs on it knowing exactly what his rifle was pointing at. I do agree with you gbear that people do need to use their binos to spot game or identify what they are looking at, but in this case OP had already done both other then knowing the sex of the animal.

Hemi
09-20-2011, 08:11 PM
The OP wasn't scanning a cut block with his rifle trying to spot something, he had clearly identified that it was a moose and decided to put the cross hairs on it knowing exactly what his rifle was pointing at. I do agree with you gbear that people do need to use their binos to spot game or identify what they are looking at, but in this case OP had already done both other then knowing the sex of the animal.

Thank you I saw the moose knew where it was just needed to clarify if it was a 2 point. I have binos and use them alot.

Jagermeister
09-20-2011, 11:26 PM
A cow moose will grunt to get her calf's attention, particularily if she is on the move.