PDA

View Full Version : Help me out..First time ever hunting!!

Kingoftroy
09-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Alright guys, so here is my deal.

I will be going to silvercore this weekend to complete my PAL license to obtain firearms
then doing the CORE the weekend after for my hunting

Now after this I am not sure what to do.
When does hunting season begin and end? I am worried that I will be missing it...it takes around 6-8 weeks for the gun license to come I believe.

buck nash
09-19-2011, 05:57 PM
When you do your core you will learn about the seasons and various regs. In the meantime you can find most of the info you will need on this site.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

Your pal could take anywhere from 3-20 weeks but yes its usually 6-8 weeks.

Jelvis
09-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Go for it with gusto Kingoftroy, I like what you typed with enthusiasm and ready to go.
Jel .. Get it, keep it, and use it, for ever, and that's a mighty long time hunter.
It's a gas.

Phreddy
09-19-2011, 08:14 PM
As Jel and buck nash both indicated, the only stupid questions on this site are the ones that don't get asked. Good to see your enthusiasm, it'll carry you a long way in your hunting career. Oddly enough, the one person who got the highest score on all of my CORE classes were the ones who hadn't hunted before and didn't come with a lot of bad habits and entrenched ideas, so weren't afraid to ask questions, etc.
I would also advise that you join your local fish and game or rod and gun club and get active in it. The members of these clubs are usually more than happy to take the time to help you out once they realize you want to be a good and responsible hunter. As buck nash mentioned, most of the hunters on this site are happy to help out where they can.

bearhunter338-06
09-19-2011, 09:26 PM
You can never ask a dumb question..........but you sure can get a lot of dumb answers..........

Bpower
09-20-2011, 04:14 AM
I keep a copy of the current regulations in the washroom. My best reading happens on the throne and I can study it for a few minutes everyday. Get to know the regulations for yourself by reading the regs, you can get some misleading information from word of mouth. I'm not knocking any advice you'll get from here though.

ryanb
09-20-2011, 08:23 AM
. I'm not knocking any advice you'll get from here though.

You should, any advice you read on here is worth what you paid for it.

sed8ed
09-20-2011, 08:59 AM
If you are willing to put in the leg work, you can have your hunting license in hand the Monday after you pass your core (this will be explained during the course), you will have to wait for your PAL but that doesn't mean you can't use a bow or go with someone who has a firearm for you to use under their supervision. I suggest going out with someone who is an experienced hunter for your first few times anyways, there is a lot to learn that is best learned hands on (such as how to field dress a deer or how to cape a bear).

Good enthusiasm, welcome to the club

Steeleco
09-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Do you have a buddy that you can hunt with? Take the courses and apply for the license and PAL, but in the mean time go tag along on a hunt or two. As your just getting going by the time have all the paper you need and maybe a rifle, this season will be winding down. Hit the range and practice lots in preparation for spring bear.

Enthusiasm is one thing, but it's not as simple as point and shoot!! Go for a few mountain hikes/drives and learn to find animals while your waiting. For many new hunters, finding game in the first place can be the biggest learning curve. Don't look for the whole animal, look for those little pieces of ear, antler or tail flick.

Good luck.

Chody
09-20-2011, 09:09 AM
im in the same boat, but got some buddies to go with to show me how to do it (just passed my pal, going for core this weekend) just ask some one to tag along, youd be surprised at how many people are willing to help out

cameron0518
09-20-2011, 09:10 AM
All great advice above.

SimilkameenSlayer
09-20-2011, 09:19 AM
walk like a ninja and you will see lots, make noise and you will see much less.

.002 cents.

Iron Glove
09-20-2011, 10:14 AM
As others have stated, you don't need your PAL, just your CORE to go hunting. You can't buy your own rifle until you get your PAL but with the CORE ( and of course your BC Hunter's card and tags ) you are good to go hunting with a friend as long as they are closely supervising you. How close depends on what the CO says so be real close. :)
You've got lots of time depending where you live and intend to hunt.

jhausner
09-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Biggest piece of advice I can give is don't go alone. You can read every book on the net and talk to everyone on the forum but nothing beats going out with a veteran hunter and learning the ropes. When I got a bit more experienced and headed out for my first Moose hunt I pretty much spent the first 2 days just being a spotter and watching 3 veterans with 40 years of hunting experience work their magic. Not just that but long time hunters have an eye for finding game in the bush. One of my hunting buddies can spot deer in the bush as we clip by at 30kph frequently and while I've been hunting for about 7 or 8 years now, I still miss things right in front of my nose.

Another big thing field experience can help with is when it comes to field dressing and dealing with the animal after. It takes less than a second to pull the trigger and drop an animal but the most important part of the hunt is what you do after. Field dressing, keeping the meat uncontaminated, cooling it, setting up a hanging pole, skinning it well so you don't lose meat, getting it packed up so it doesn't spoil, and getting it to a butcher in time.

Being new I wouldn't try to debone or go for anything too large. Start with grouse and maybe deer, move up from there. It also doesn't hurt to do some scouting runs.

And as has been said above, range time range time range time. You want to drop an animal as quickly and as humanely as possible and a big part of that is knowing your rifle and being comfortable in it, understanding your ranges, and having your scope dialed in. Handling your rifle should be second nature.

Not sure where you live but I've actually started looking around to hook up with a few new hunting buddies. Several of my regular buddies have been fairly busy with children and work the past 2 seasons and my group is starting to vanish on me and it will take a bit more time to work on my girlfriend. ;-) If you're in the lower mainland area maybe if things line up we could head out one day.