PDA

View Full Version : 0ct 15 501 are moose still rutting

rides bike to work
09-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Im heading into 501 for my any bull leh just wondering if moose are still coming in to calls that time of year never tried it before.Our camp is on the north side of canim lake any other tips on areas would be great.Is it getting to cold that time of year for the swamps or are they sticking around them still that time of year .Also wondered if there were any white tail in that region.much appreciated.

doubled
09-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Should be tail end of it by then.

levind
09-19-2011, 12:46 PM
i havent had much luck calling at that time but you might still get the smaller bulls to come in. i would say most of the bigger ones are to tired by then lol. always worth trying though. also just because you dont hear a bull call doesnt mean he isnt coming. i find the little bulls come in quite. listen for branches braking and movement. good luck and wish for cold weather.

Jeff Johnston
09-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Two years ago my partner and I shot two bull moose in 5-01 around windy moutian. It was on the thanksgiveing long week end. Lots of mule deer but I'm not sher about white tale. I wasn't calling, just walked into a cut block early in the morning. Saw a cow / calf and then a nice mature bull about 200 yard shot. If you drive in from inter lakes store towards french Lake.
Scout out for sign. Good luck.

wsm
09-19-2011, 01:24 PM
i have had little to no success calling moose that late, except once for a picture on boundry lake in reg 4 . cant hurt to try though

srupp
09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
they will still respond

Steven

Foxton Gundogs
09-19-2011, 01:51 PM
they will still respond

Steven

X2...Call early and late call in the lower wet areas.

Darksith
09-19-2011, 02:07 PM
they will definately still be in their herds for the most part. Sometimes they like to stick to the timber though, I think mainly b/c they are wore out. They will come in, they may not be talking much though, but then again some years they simply don't talk for some reason. When walking I like to let out a bull grunt from time to time just to make them think Im a moose. I haven't ever scared one off b/c of calling. Im not sure about calling that time of year to locate them though.

moosecaller
09-19-2011, 02:48 PM
They will come into a call, moose will talk any time of year, I have called them in on Nov. 1rst while eating some of the kids excess candy. Use a shorter cow call and call like a calf now and again, bull call but no racking of trees, snap the odd branch to simulate walking.